Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

New snow and ice warning just issued from the met office

Issued at: 1050 on Sat 31 Jan 2015

Valid from: 1300 on Sat 31 Jan 2015

Valid to: 1200 on Sun 1 Feb 2015

Snow and strong winds will affect parts of northern and then eastern Britain later on Saturday and into Sunday. Heavy snow will affect upland parts of northern Scotland from Saturday afternoon, with accumulations of over 25 cm on some high level routes. At lower levels, there will be a mix of rain, sleet and snow, though snow accumulations of 2-5 cm are possible in places, mainly inland above 150 m.

Northerly winds gusting 60-70 mph will give rise to drifting snow and blizzard conditions. Conditions will improve slowly overnight, but further snow showers are likely, even on low ground. Other eastern areas will see occasional snow showers on Saturday before more persistent rain, sleet and snow spreads southwards overnight, with potential for 2-3 cm of snow at low levels, and 5-10 cm over northern hills where again blizzard conditions are possible.

Icy patches are likely throughout the warning area. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption due to snow and ice.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

An area of low pressure moves south through the North Sea later on Saturday and early on Sunday, bringing strong winds and a risk of snow to some northern and later eastern areas. There is high confidence in very poor conditions over higher ground in Scotland. Less certain is the extent of snow at lower levels given that rain and sleet is also possible, but there is potential for local accumulations of several cm even in parts of eastern England, particularly on higher ground. Showers will become confined to eastern coasts from late morning, where they will mainly be of rain.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1422662400

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

hello Deep Snow - it was the 30th Nov, 2010.  I remember it well as I was out over the town.  The girls laughed as me as I turned up in my thick heavy hiking boots, (as being the little weather geek knew what was coming) whilst they were in the sparkle heels.  By 10pm all the taxi were off the road and we had to walk home.....they stopped laughing then at my boots. . :D  

That was the night I went to bed at about 2130 with everywhere green and woke up at 0650 to 7" of snow. Happy days!

Heavy rain has pretty much washed all our miniscule of snow covering away and currently 4c.

Booooo!

Posted

Your point regarding the wind is very true.  That's why I like the look of the set up on Wednesday.  Nice gentle NNE wind with -5 uppers.  Forecasts are not of that much use is those situations. Radar time.

Indeed but I do hope the UKMO and ECM are wrong in terms of how quickly they are toppling in that high pressure cell although on the other hand, I don't think I would want the NNE'ly to go too NE'ly/ENE'ly because then you get on shore winds from the Sea which may make things marginal.

It does seem like the models just do not want to show the winds to favor our region! 

Posted

Updated snow and ice warning for Sunday afternoon and Monday

Issued at: 1136 on Sat 31 Jan 2015

Valid from: 1500 on Sun 1 Feb 2015

Valid to: 2355 on Mon 2 Feb 2015

Further snow showers will affect parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland, and eastern parts of England, later on Sunday and through the whole of Monday, leading to additional accumulations. The showers will be associated with strong winds, so drifting and temporary blizzard conditions are possible, as well as icy stretches. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption from these conditions.

This is an update to the Alert issued on Friday to slightly modify the areas covered: Wales and southwestern England are now excluded, while the far southeast of England has been included. This is due to a reorientation of the areas covered in the southwest and southeast to mirror latest forecast probabilities.

A very cold airmass will continue to spread southwards from Scotland and Northern Ireland across the remainder of the UK later Sunday, and persist through Monday, accompanied by strong winds. Frequent showers are likely to form in this airmass, primarily affecting northern parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland but also running along eastern coastal districts of England at times.

Within the cold air snow is likely to accumulate even to low levels wherever showers occur. Periods of enhanced snowfall are possible within this general flow, but details of these are very uncertain at this time. As such this Alert is likely to be subsequently updated and refined.

There is the potential for disruption throughout this period due to the accumulating snow and ice but also with temporary blizzard conditions leading to very difficult driving conditions.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1422662400

• Like 1

Posted

That was the night I went to bed at about 2130 with everywhere green and woke up at 0650 to 7" of snow. Happy days!

Heavy rain has pretty much washed all our miniscule of snow covering away and currently 4c.

Booooo!

Get set JP,its coming. :D

Updated snow and ice warning for Sunday afternoon and Monday

Issued at: 1136 on Sat 31 Jan 2015

Valid from: 1500 on Sun 1 Feb 2015

Valid to: 2355 on Mon 2 Feb 2015

Further snow showers  blizzard conditions 

Posted

I'm not a big fan of Sunday's, knowing that Monday is creeping ever closer!

But some snow would put a smile on my dial that's for sure. Here's hoping C10!!

Posted

Tuesday's warning updated

Issued at: 1202 on Sat 31 Jan 2015

Valid from: 0005 on Tue 3 Feb 2015

Valid to: 2355 on Tue 3 Feb 2015

Snow showers will continue to affect parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland and eastern England during Tuesday, giving icy patches in places. Accumulations of snow are possible in places, even to low levels. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel. This is an update to the Alert issued on Friday to extend the areas covered to include Northern Ireland, western Scotland and parts of southeast England. This is due to a reorientation of the areas covered to mirror latest forecast probabilities.

The arctic airmass, by this time already firmly established across the UK, will continue to bring frequent and heavy snow showers to eastern parts of the UK. During Tuesday, winds over England are expected to veer a little more towards north to northeast, and this will allow showers to spread a little further inland over eastern areas, with snow showers possibly falling quite widely across northern England (east of the Pennines), along with parts of the Midlands and parts of southeast England.

The airmass is sufficiently cold for snow showers to accumulate at low levels, perhaps giving several cm in places. There is the potential for disruption throughout this period due to the accumulating snow and ice but also with temporary blizzard conditions leading to very difficult driving conditions.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1422921600

Posted

Tuesday's warning updated

Issued at: 1202 on Sat 31 Jan 2015

Valid from: 0005 on Tue 3 Feb 2015

Valid to: 2355 on Tue 3 Feb 2015

Snow showers will continue to affect parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland and eastern England during Tuesday, giving icy patches in places. Accumulations of snow are possible in places, even to low levels. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel. This is an update to the Alert issued on Friday to extend the areas covered to include Northern Ireland, western Scotland and parts of southeast England. This is due to a reorientation of the areas covered to mirror latest forecast probabilities.

The arctic airmass, by this time already firmly established across the UK, will continue to bring frequent and heavy snow showers to eastern parts of the UK. During Tuesday, winds over England are expected to veer a little more towards north to northeast, and this will allow showers to spread a little further inland over eastern areas, with snow showers possibly falling quite widely across northern England (east of the Pennines), along with parts of the Midlands and parts of southeast England.

The airmass is sufficiently cold for snow showers to accumulate at low levels, perhaps giving several cm in places. There is the potential for disruption throughout this period due to the accumulating snow and ice but also with temporary blizzard conditions leading to very difficult driving conditions.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1422921600

A NE wind normally delivers for me.

No doubt there will be a mild sector though!

Posted

Snow and ice warning just issued for all of Wednesday

Issued at: 1217 on Sat 31 Jan 2015

Valid from: 0005 on Wed 4 Feb 2015

Valid to: 2355 on Wed 4 Feb 2015

Snow showers will continue to affect parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland and eastern England during Wednesday, giving icy patches in places. A band of more-organised sleet and snow is expected to reach northwestern areas later in the day. Accumulations of snow are possible in places, even to low levels. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel.

The arctic airmass already over UK will continue to bring frequent and heavy snow showers to eastern parts of the UK during Wednesday, and further snow showers to northern and northwestern UK. Later on Wednesday, an Atlantic weather system is expected to move towards northwestern UK, and this is likely to bring a more-organised period of snow to many northwestern areas, especially over high ground.

However, there are some uncertainties with regard to the detail of this weather system, including its timings, and thus this Alert is likely to be updated and refined on Sunday. The airmass is sufficiently cold for snow showers to accumulate at low levels.

There is the potential for disruption throughout this period due to the accumulating snow and ice but also with temporary blizzard conditions leading to very difficult driving conditions.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1423008000&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50

Posted

When did these regional discussions start? Just wondering if there was one for that 2009-2010 winter and if so if I can access it?

Found them. Start here for anyone interested in nostalgia gazing https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/58525-north-east-england-cold-spell-discussion/ (

Edited by Deep Snow please
  • Like 1

Posted

Another snow and Ice warning issued valid from 14:00 today to 12:00 tomorrow for Durham and Northumberland only http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1422662400

Posted

all snow has now melted and all surfaces dry, looks like we might be in for some interesting weather right up to wednesday if not beyond

Posted

A NE wind normally delivers for me.

No doubt there will be a mild sector though!

Shouldnt be any mild sector and the Northerly flow should be much cleaner also so more like the sunshine and shower set up that we all know and love. 

The question will be, will the winds be North/NNE'ly enough and how long will the flow lasts for during Wednesday, we can only hope the GFS is the more accurate on this one.

Posted

I'm not a big fan of Sunday's, knowing that Monday is creeping ever closer!

But some snow would put a smile on my dial that's for sure. Here's hoping C10!!

:laugh:

We now have snow warnings for the next 5 days,so hopefully at least one of those days/nights will deliver

for everyones location.

Posted

Conversely to last night where we had snow turning to rain by morning - I didn't see any snow I was fast asleep and it was as green as any other day when I woke up haha - tonight will see rain turning to snow as the much colder -8 and lower uppers cut in. How fast this happens will dictate hoe much evidence we see of it, and also before the precipitation becomes more sparse. The ideal situation of course being it turns to snow early on whilst the precipitation is still at its best! We deserve some luck sooner or later right? 

Posted

:laugh:

We now have snow warnings for the next 5 days,so hopefully at least one of those days/nights will deliver

for everyones location.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ne6?day=0

Well tonight isn't looking likely as things stand.

Posted

Shouldnt be any mild sector and the Northerly flow should be much cleaner also so more like the sunshine and shower set up that we all know and love. 

The question will be, will the winds be North/NNE'ly enough and how long will the flow lasts for during Wednesday, we can only hope the GFS is the more accurate on this one.

With all these weather warnings out, surely Wednesday isn't our only day of snow opportunity?

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ne6?day=0

Well tonight isn't looking likely as things stand.

The BBC have got it wrong in the past so we'll wait and see. On the bright side there's no lying snow to mourn over if it does jaffa cakes it down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

definitely feels colder out there now than it did this morning. It has that cold snowy feel to the air!!

Although i just checked the radar and it looks like we will be snowless tonight there is zip on that radar really. When are the fun and games due to start for the NE?

Posted

Still got a bit of snowcover on the grass here,and what is left elsewhere is starting to freeze up so a good sign that the air is now drier and colder.

The small LP which brings tonight's "action" is just to the NE of Scotland on latest satellite,although the radar is uninspiring at the moment.

post-2839-0-82987600-1422721919_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

definitely feels colder out there now than it did this morning. It has that cold snowy feel to the air!!

Although i just checked the radar and it looks like we will be snowless tonight there is zip on that radar really. When are the fun and games due to start for the NE?

keep an eye on this radar mate http://www.meteox.co.uk/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur

just watching that low out in the north sea just ne of scotland i think if we are going to get anything tonight its from that feature thats going to come down the east coast later

Edited by Boro Snow