Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Yeah it does look like they are forming offshore and making it inland so may get a few more showers.

Still snowing and nice fluffy flakes this time round.

huge flakes falling here, was not expecting this, everywhere is now covered. 

Posted

The snow is very wet here :( WOuldn't be bad if the streamer shifted on a bit so we don't have the snow washed away!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Well the first snow from the northerly blast has already delivered more snow than all the north westerlies combined this winter.  However the temp has risen (1.7c) and its heavy sleet now.  The gfs is showing colder air digging in later so any showers could turn back to snow.

The charts on Wednesday remind me of 2010.  I am expecting some decent snowfall here.

• Like 1

Posted

Don't forget the 8 inches of snow which fell on November 26 2010 was supposed to be sleet.

Posted

Well the first snow from the northerly blast has already delivered more snow than all the north westerlies combined this winter.  However the temp has risen (1.7c) and its heavy sleet now.  The gfs is showing colder air digging in later so any showers could turn back to snow.

The charts on Wednesday remind me of 2010.  I am expecting some decent snowfall here.

A decent covering from the overnight snow here this morning,although very slushy at the moment thanks to one of those famous mild sectors passing over the region.

Thankfully colder and drier air is on its way down from Scotland to slow down the thaw.

The fax chart for tonight looks interesting with a front draped across the region,so more fun and frustration to come no doubt!

post-2839-0-99311900-1422692941_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

we did get some snow last night but it also rained a few hours ago leaving the paths etc slushy, hopefully we will get a few suprises over the next 3-5 days, temp currently 2.3c dp 0.6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

We managed a bit of snow in Darlington its just a slushy mess outside now though with a the wind getting stronger

Posted

woke up to a slushy mess this morning, was a nice bit of snow up to about 3.30am, then the less cold air arrived to spoil it

Posted

Seems that some snow did happen overnight, but it's all been slushed away by a particularly heavy bout of rain between 7-8am.

A bit annoying at the moment, it seems if it doesn't rain before the snow it seems to rain after it. Tonight into tomorrow morning is going to be the key, and ideally we nee a bit of drying up time today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Woke last night at 1am to heavy snow and thought great this is the Arctic air to preserve my lovely 9cm covering that suffered little in the sunshine yesterday, but no milder temperatures followed the snow and now a thaw is underway.

The higher uppers were only meant to last one day Friday but now the cold air doesn't arrive till tonight.

All so frustrating, what does it take to get a good clean snowy 1960's type northerly these days.

Andy

Posted

Wet snow for a while here, slushy mess now but there must be loads higher up as gauge has counted 5.6mm of melt already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Seems that some snow did happen overnight, but it's all been slushed away by a particularly heavy bout of rain between 7-8am.

A bit annoying at the moment, it seems if it doesn't rain before the snow it seems to rain after it. Tonight into tomorrow morning is going to be the key, and ideally we nee a bit of drying up time today.

Another band of rain, sleet and snow is due overnight

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

As tomorrow progress showers should become increasingly confined to the coasts

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Don't forget the 8 inches of snow which fell on November 26 2010 was supposed to be sleet.

Can't remember exactly but I think it did fall as rain nearest to the coasts to begin with, before giving us a few inches but certainly not eight (lived in Gateshead at the time), it's okay for you guys in Newcastle. I certainly don't remember that particular winter racketting up until the christmas holidays (second/third week in December), Might be misremembering it though.

EDIT: I was thinking of 09-10, as the first severe winter I lived through I shouldn't really muddle it up with the slightly colder than average one your talking about but it happens. How I yearn for 13 inches of lying snow this January, I think I'd have a snowgasm.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Snow, Thunder, cold crisp ice days

Morning all, completely white here, although melting now.  However the BBC charts had us down for rain now - which is not the case and rain later.  Yet the netweather forecast says it will be snow.  Very marginal indeed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Snow, Thunder, cold crisp ice days

Can't remember exactly but I think it did fall as rain nearest to the coasts to begin with, before giving us a few inches but certainly not eight (lived in Gateshead at the time), it's okay for you guys in Newcastle. I certainly don't remember that particular winter racketting up until the christmas holidays (second/third week in December), Might be misremembering it though.

EDIT: I was thinking of 09-10, as the first severe winter I lived through I shouldn't really muddle it up with the slightly colder than average one your talking about but it happens.

hello Deep Snow - it was the 30th Nov, 2010.  I remember it well as I was out over the town.  The girls laughed as me as I turned up in my thick heavy hiking boots, (as being the little weather geek knew what was coming) whilst they were in the sparkle heels.  By 10pm all the taxi were off the road and we had to walk home.....they stopped laughing then at my boots. . :D  

• Like 1

Posted

hello Deep Snow - it was the 30th Nov, 2010.  I remember it well as I was out over the town.  The girls laughed as me as I turned up in my thick heavy hiking boots, (as being the little weather geek knew what was coming) whilst they were in the sparkle heels.  By 10pm all the taxi were off the road and we had to walk home.....they stopped laughing then at my boots. . :D  

Yup, if my memory of this stuff is this bad now the stories I tell when I'm an old prune about those winters are going to make the liberal democratic manifesto look like a work of non-fiction... (apologies to any lib dem supporters I may have offended with that joke).

EDIT: What is with this swear filter, is their a way of turning it off?

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

I decided to stay up to watch the very heavy snow shower that occured between 2 and 3 and it provided a decent covering but sadly after that cleared, there was bits of light rain falling and from what the temps and dew points being recorded in Scotland, I knew it was almost game over but was still hopeful to be surprised when I woke up. I'm not too disapointed as for me, the snowfall was unexpected and a surprise.

So why did it snow last night? A couple of reasons come to mind, the night started clear and weather stations were reporting a temp/dew of 1/-1 in most weather stations and despite increased cloud cover, the temps never really rised so we had cold enough air for snow to fall and it did, was a slow burner but despite that, it did started as mainly of snow. 2nd reason could be down to the lack of wind, too much wind mixes the air too much so evaporate cooling struggles to take effect, I mentioned last night that evaporate cooling would help and no doubt it did so whilst there was barely any breeze and it was snowing hard, it felt like we were on the right side of marginal and there did not seem to be any danger of it turning back to sleet/rain. 

Regarding tonight, I just think its the wrong side of marginal at lower levels, the air will get slightly colder today but only for the mild sector again to come back into play along with the risk of increased PPN, I suspect it will be windier tonight so evaporate cooling will probably not come into play much either, just have to wait and see though. 

Posted

LOL :-D

Posted

I decided to stay up to watch the very heavy snow shower that occured between 2 and 3 and it provided a decent covering but sadly after that cleared, there was bits of light rain falling and from what the temps and dew points being recorded in Scotland, I knew it was almost game over but was still hopeful to be surprised when I woke up. I'm not too disapointed as for me, the snowfall was unexpected and a surprise.

So why did it snow last night? A couple of reasons come to mind, the night started clear and weather stations were reporting a temp/dew of 1/-1 in most weather stations and despite increased cloud cover, the temps never really rised so we had cold enough air for snow to fall and it did, was a slow burner but despite that, it did started as mainly of snow. 2nd reason could be down to the lack of wind, too much wind mixes the air too much so evaporate cooling struggles to take effect, I mentioned last night that evaporate cooling would help and no doubt it did so whilst there was barely any breeze and it was snowing hard, it felt like we were on the right side of marginal and there did not seem to be any danger of it turning back to sleet/rain. 

Regarding tonight, I just think its the wrong side of marginal at lower levels, the air will get slightly colder today but only for the mild sector again to come back into play along with the risk of increased PPN, I suspect it will be windier tonight so evaporate cooling will probably not come into play much either, just have to wait and see though. 

Your point regarding the wind is very true.  That's why I like the look of the set up on Wednesday.  Nice gentle NNE wind with -5 uppers.  Forecasts are not of that much use is those situations. Radar time.

Posted

Just made the mistake of looking at pictures and videos of boston. Anyway back on topic Netweather forecast tonight as sleet and snow for Washington where as the beeb says it's rain, just going to be a case of lamppost watching I think.