Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Rain really getting going now and still temps way to high i really think this was the wrong forecast don't blame the met cuz it was marginal. And could have gone either way

Met gives 3c and rain with temps dropping and snow from 6pm. Still looking OK..... I think (hope)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Don't have a weather station so I'm using weather station data through work. The road sensor near Cannock is now showing a swift decrease in temperature, half a degree in 20 minutes.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

hi every1. its started raining here atm looking earllyer at the met office app they have sleet from 1800h and from 1900 it's heavy snow upuntill 0100am and then it's lite snow. have there been any change to that forecast folks?

Hope your right mate it does seem there is a warm sector sector wrapped in the low so it could be hit and miss in my opinion and the low is meant to pivot

• Like 1

Posted

It'll be too wet at this rate even if it does turn to snow.

No mate if it snows its amazing when temps drop how quick heavy snow can stick

Posted

It'll be too wet at this rate even if it does turn to snow.

Thats never the case seen snow settle on what were puddles in the past when the snows heavy enough :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I'm trusting to plenty of times in the past I've seen snow stick even after heavy rain - we're currently forecast 10mm of rain 1800-2100, followed by 1.2cm snow 2100-0300, so fingers crossed! 

Edited by BleakMidwinter

Posted

Just looked on my app as said in other posts the forecast remains the same fun and games after 6pm hope they are right.

Posted

If snow is heavy and persistent enough, it will stick - even if the surface is sodden.

Edited by Nick L

Posted

It's worth remembering at this point that the Met Office have continually been highlighting the uncertainty about this event. So if the switch to snow doesn't happen then I for one will not be blasting them for a poor forecast.

It's also worth remembering that if some forecasts/model outputs from the last 7 days had come to be than we could be looking at 11C and gales with this rain this afternoon.

Right now, we have the chance of some real winter weather...a good chance at that.

With that said, good luck everyone!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Odd spot of rain just started here..

Posted

If snow is heavy and persistent enough, it will stick - even if the surface is sodden.

Don't get that nonsense about the ground being too wet for it to stick, if the ground was bone dry and wet snow was to fall, the ground would instantly become wet anyway in a matter of minutes.

I once went into the supermarket with it chucking it down with rain/sleet and puddles everywhere, to leaving 30 minutes later with heavy snow falling and a good 1" accumulated on the ground..

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 2

Posted

Dropped to 3.3c here now from 4.3c an hour ago, tipping it down so hopefully cooling continues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Don't get that nonsense about the ground being too wet for it to stick, if the ground was bone dry and wet snow was to fall, the ground would instantly become wet anyway in a matter of minutes.

I once went into the supermarket with it chucking it down with rain/sleet and puddles everywhere, to leaving 30 minutes later with heavy snow falling and a good 1" accumulated on the ground..

5th Jan 1998 baby! a very similar setup to this, rain very wet ground, turned to snow around 1pm, some of biggest flakes ive ever seen, was sticking well

• Like 1

Posted

The biggest parameter that affects snow sticking is the surface temperature, which should be cold enough.

Temperature still tumbling at my local station, dropping at a rate of 1.5c an hour, currently 3.7c. Keep going!

• Like 2

Posted

Flakes starting to appear in the rain here...

Edit: increasingly so too!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 2

Posted

Well just took a look at the wunderground current temps and the temperatures are defo falling over the west midlands and across the welsh border theres actually a couple of 0 degree digits aswell! !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

100m higher than me, temp is dropping as nick says, 3.3C now, was 3,8C at 2pm

Posted

Well just took a look at the wunderground current temps and the temperatures are defo falling over the west midlands and across the welsh border theres actually a couple of 0 degree digits aswell! !

Expect those zeroes to keep expanding, particularly north of Brum.

Posted

Also sleet here now its trying to turn now

Posted

Dropped to 3.3c here now from 4.3c an hour ago, tipping it down so hopefully cooling continues.

You should see snow before the day is out,heavy snow now and settling the first of the year. :smiliz39: