Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The final stretch to Christmas

Posted

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack2a.gif

Note the position of the 510 dm thickness line which is shown extending southwestwards from Russia towards Italy at T+84. This is several hundred miles further SW than on the previous run.

• Like 2

Posted

nice chart from Nick=best area for snow=drive to the Peak District but do be careful you could be there for some time on the higher roads!

web cams for Derbyshire link below

http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/webcams/index.htm

Cat and Fiddle, perhaps the most likely area for deepish snow?

http://www.maccinfo.com/cat/

there are others, Buxton and the village of Flash on the Staff/Derby border

so enjoy if you cannot get there

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

bbc suggest daily max's to monday of 4-6c, unless theyve got it incredibly wrong , that would thaw anything thats settled. but of course 95% of the country wont get snow anyway.

• Like 1

Posted

nice chart from Nick=best area for snow=drive to the Peak District but do be careful you could be there for some time on the higher roads!

the cat and fiddle get snow in june john! :laugh:  they get it whilst down here its mild!

Posted

Sorry mushy Rob but that sounds like bitterness and sour grapes in your tone, and not only that, you have also misquoted everything I have previously said so take it all back. :-)

lol.. ive no reason to be bitter mate.... i do genuinely believe you have over ramped this cold period and ive highlighted why. mis quote? you did say 'a week of cold guaranteed'.

anyway, lets sit back for a couple of days then compare whether or not you  have overstated this event, or i have understated it... deal? :)

• Like 5

Posted

In Derby or the south coast?

My local for cast is +1 +2 after today....... neither 4 or 6. But then I don't know where those temps are for

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

Ireland's going to get their fair share according to this realtime satelite map. Already turning to snow there. Peeps can keep an eye on their own backyard as well. What happens at at ground zero is another story though.

http://uk.weather.com/mapRoom/mapRoom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

lol.. ive no reason to be bitter mate.... i do genuinely believe you have over ramped this cold period and ive highlighted why. mis quote? you did say 'a week of cold guaranteed'.

anyway, lets sit back for a couple of days then compare whether or not you  have overstated this event, or i have understated it... deal? :)

Hi mushy, merry Christmas mate. The weather models are certainly in festive mood and although we have our disagreements, I still respect your opinions as a long time contributor to Netweather..peace :-)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

GFS 06z has as expected shifted towards its mean at D7 with a sinking high and the Atlantic moving into the NW:

post-14819-0-16529300-1419589558_thumb.p  Ditto the P: post-14819-0-74519600-1419589584_thumb.p

Highs around the southern part of the M25 are forecast as 4c with lows of -1c for the next 4-5 days so colder than of late but far from freezer type weather. Further north and at altitude (as you would expect) progressively colder.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Met just updated and track now confident but it appears snow is down to intensity due to very borderline variables. A case of nowcasting I suspect:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 1

Posted

This really is classic stuff today with rain spreading from the southwest and bumping into the colder air which then turns the rain to sleet and then wet snow, some central areas could see 15-20 cm which is a good 6 to 8 inches, and the good news is it will then freeze and no thaw is expected for certainly the reliable timeframe. I can see there being some impressive overnight minima once things settle down. Looking further ahead, the met office are bullish about the Atlantic returning during the second half of next week but things could become very interesting with battle ground scenarios, undercuts and general disruption and certainly not a return to run of the mill, mild Atlantic mush. I think January could deliver the wintry goods this time around. :-)

Your posts are always a delight to read :clap:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Surely the ground temps can't be that cold at the moment for any snow to hang around for days?

• Like 2

Posted

Hi mushy, merry Christmas mate. The weather models are certainly in festive mood and although we have our disagreements, I still respect your opinions as a long time contributor to Netweather..peace :-)

you too karl.. :) ... btw, im in line for some snow, if im bitter, its bitterly cold! lol

It's looking cold though Mushy for next 5-6 days? Ok, not very cold but certainly not mild.

Sat 15z

attachicon.giftemp_sa15z.png

Sun 15z

attachicon.giftemp_su15z.png

Mon 15z

attachicon.giftemp_m15z.png

Tues 15z

attachicon.giftemp_tu15.png

Weds 15z

attachicon.giftemp_w15.png

Thurs 15z

attachicon.giftemp_th15.png

Very much doubt that.

According to the chart below many will see temps around or just above freezing.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs814.gif

Those who do see snowfall tonight are likely to keep it for a few days. The mistake many make when referring to thawing snow is to look at the predicted 2m temps. However dewpoints make a massive difference to the rate of thawing snow and these are predicted to be around -4C. The short daylight hrs will also help.

nick, dave, im aware of what the gfs max/min temp predictions are, but they are notoriously unreliable. i do find the bbc closer and as i type they are on again about temps sat-mon maxs 2 - 6c . if the gfs is right, then frosty will likely be most accurate, if the bbc is then my take is more likely to be accurate ... so instead of a circular debate lets just wait and see!

• Like 4

Posted

Good post by TEITS and I can say from experience here just how crucial dew point is rather than air temperature.

In this part of the world we can often seen some big swings in temperature, even in mid winter you can get temperatures in the high teens however theres a marked difference in snow loss in the Pyrenees if the flow is se rather than sw.

You can have temps 15 to 17c with dew point of 2, compared to temps of 11 with a dew point of 9, snow loss is far greater in the latter.

In the UK snow melt for example would be far greater with a temp of lets say 2 dew point 1 rather than a temp of 5 dew point -2.

That's why you often see patches of frost remaining all day in the shade even with temps above freezing. It's for this same reason that you can get snow with 850 temps just below freezing with a continental feed undercutting rain moving in from the west as opposed to 850 temps of lets say -6c in a modified nw flow which will more likely produce rain.

• Like 7

Posted

The infamous snow event from February 6 1996, just by looking at those 850's some would think how on earth did that produce some remarkable snow totals especially in the nw, even the Channel Islands saw significant snow from this and see how close they are to the 0c 850 temperature.

SLP

post-1206-0-37214900-1419592816_thumb.pn

850 Temperature

post-1206-0-16916800-1419592828_thumb.pn

The key was that the actual flow into the UK was from the se.

For those old enough to remember this event and who lived in London at the time like myself this event is etched in the memory as the snow ground to a halt just to the west of London!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

It's looking cold though Mushy for next 5-6 days? Ok, not very cold but certainly not mild.

Sat 15z

attachicon.giftemp_sa15z.png

Sun 15z

attachicon.giftemp_su15z.png

Mon 15z

attachicon.giftemp_m15z.png

Tues 15z

attachicon.giftemp_tu15.png

Weds 15z

attachicon.giftemp_w15.png

Thurs 15z

attachicon.giftemp_th15.png

Updated warning.

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action

Issued at: 1034 on Fri 26 Dec 2014

There is a 90% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 1500 on Friday and 1200 on Wednesday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Low pressure, tracking southeastwards over central and southern England later Boxing Day and overnight into Saturday 27th, is expected to give a period of sleet and snow across the Midlands, some northern parts of East Anglia and southern parts of both NW England and Yorks and Humberside. Some significant snow accumulations are possible, especially on higher ground. Strong winds will develop in places for a time, exacerbating the chill. As the low clears away southeastwards, cold air will move south across the whole of England giving a risk of wintry showers and icy conditions across England for the rest of Saturday. Sunday to Tuesday, high pressure brings lighter winds but with widespread night frosts and freezing fog patches which may linger well into the day in places

Nuff said :cold:

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 5

Posted

In Derby or the south coast?

My local for cast is +1 +2 after today....... neither 4 or 6. But then I don't know where those temps are for

On I pad so just ask what do you want to know pse

John

back to pc so ask again pse and I will try to help

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Latest Euro4 takes us towards the aforementioned ECMWF 'middle ground' type scenario:

14122703_2606.gif

Spot totals of 20cm showing across parts of the E Midlands there

SK

Edit: It should be noted that current radar returns across Ireland are more intense than forecast by Euro4 for midday - could be a sign of the fronts occluding a little sooner than expected, which would prove better news for more widespread snowfall hopes later.

Edited by snowking
  • Like 5