Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Peeps! Henry blew and blew but he couldnae knock out our power! I believe he took out a few trees further south on the island though. Haven't been outside yet to see if there's any damage. No power on Raasay so the local hotel is giving everyone breakfast! Nice! I believe that some areas of Skye could be without power but we are fine here. Biggest gust in our village was 72mph. And breathe......

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

No chance of nacreous here, an absolutely minging morning with heavy rain now looking like very heavy wet sleet on the windows.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning.   Glad to say that the 60mph we got yesterday lunchtime was the highest Henry produced IMBY.   Who wants to spend the following days dealing with repairs.   Been there, done that and used the t. shirt for mopping up!  So, onwards I suppose to the next debacle this (winter?) chooses to throw our way!

Still a bit breezy and showery here with a recent gust of 51mph - 4.4c/2.6c/WSW.

aircam_pic.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well Henry wasn't that horrid here after all. Highest gust at Dyce was 93 kmph (58 mph) yesterday around midday, and in Aboyne it was 104 kmph (65 mph) at around 8pm. Way off the 80mph gusts they were predicting in the Amber warning.

Still windy this morning but otherwise dry with broken high cloud. Temp was 6.3C I think when I looked earlier at home. Currently 7.3C in Dyce.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

No chance of nacreous here, an absolutely minging morning with heavy rain now looking like very heavy wet sleet on the windows.

I know HC, great looking at the pics but it feels like a while since we've had calm, bonnie skies up here

Minging indeed, wind and heavy wet snow, would happily echo Polar Gael and see at least a couple of days of benign weather/respite. The frosty morning forecast tomorrow has lovely appeal. 1.1C

• Like 4

Posted
20 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Who wants to spend the following days dealing with repairs.   Been there, done that and used the t. shirt for mopping up!  So, onwards I suppose to the next debacle this (winter?) chooses to throw our way!

I don't get a thrill from high winds and rain either and I've seen more than enough so far this winter to last a few years. If there was such a condition as mass gale/rain fatigue, I reckon we've all got it in Scotland. Thankfully, and fingers crossed etc, but there're strong hints in the GFS ensemble spaghetti of some upcoming relief/respite from it all after one more potential major storm bout next weekend ...

graphe7_1000___-3.45_55.33_.gif

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

I know HC, great looking at the pics but it feels like a while since we've had calm, bonnie skies up here

Minging indeed, wind and heavy wet snow, would happily echo Polar Gael and see at least a couple of days of benign weather/respite. The frosty morning forecast tomorrow has lovely appeal. 1.1C

Same here. It feels like I haven't seen the blue through the cloud for weeks down here in Moffat :closedeyes: Just wind, rain, sleet, snow, and interminable grey skies :angry:

• Like 3

Posted

Euro4 showing some snow potential tonight for more western parts:

16020218_0200.gif  16020300_0200.gif

Backed up by the Met forecast - mentioning moderate falls possible over higher elevations in Dumfries. Automated forecast even has heavy snow showers for here for later if anything makes it this far east. 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Same here. It feels like I haven't seen the blue through the cloud for weeks down here in Moffat :closedeyes: Just wind, rain, sleet, snow, and interminable grey skies :angry:

Weather fans eh, if we're not praying for 90hr blizzards we're pleading for the boring stuff too:D at least it's been an interesting winter so far, certainly keeping us on our toes

• Like 4

Posted

Keeping an eye on this, breezy up the west coast before it sweeps across the country,,.

h500slp.png

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Weather fans eh, if we're not praying for 90hr blizzards we're pleading for the boring stuff too:D at least it's been an interesting winter so far, certainly keeping us on our toes

Certainly doing that NS!   Looking at the 06z and so far, it is just a neverending series of low pressures one after the other.   This weekend and into next week looks particularly foul!   Jetstream slightly further south,  uppers aren't particularly toe curling though.

gfsnh-1-126.png

gfsnh-0-126.png

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Jeez......look at those uppers over the USA next week!

gfsnh-1-228.png

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Jeez......look at those uppers over the USA next week!

Brrr ... it'd be "colder than a well digger's ass".

http://dreamsteep.com/writing/humor/237-the-well-diggers-ass.html

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

This weather is really getting on my tits now. I can see why the wee beasties hibernate.

I saw a couple of flocks of geese the other day heading back towards Loch Leven which is their summer habitat around here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Average wind speed over the last couple of hours in Dyce has been around 26mph, which is more than it was for all but a short period yesterday. Gusting around 45mph too, which isn't far off yesterdays values for all but the stormiest hour or two. Raining too now so not looking pleasant out at all at the moment.

Posted

Bone chillingly cold out there with heavy rain ,a fresh to strong  wind and currently 3c.

Give me -3c,  3 inches of snow,  3mph wind and one third  blue sky any day rather than this.

• Like 4

Posted

This is fast becoming a repeat of yesterday morning here.   Very gusty, latest gust 47mph.   Gusts are much closer together too.   6.1c/3.1c/plus a 1.3c windchill.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Will be boarding my plane out of Stavanger soon.

Rather, erm, windy oot. Going to be an interesting take off.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Will be boarding my plane out of Stavanger soon.

Rather, erm, windy oot. Going to be an interesting take off.

Will be an interesting landing too if this windspeed keeps up!   Safe flight SS.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

Well it finally seems to be easing a bit.  Just as well as our moat is overflowing!

Not here it aint!   Just had a gust of 51mph.  Getting on my wotsits too now!:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Not here it aint!   Just had a gust of 51mph.  Getting on my wotsits too now!:D

It's more of a showery flow now by the look of the radar - bloody well cranked up again just now of course - but that I don't see anything on the radar for Fife... have you moved to Aberdeen?

Posted
4 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

It's more of a showery flow now by the look of the radar - bloody well cranked up again just now of course - but that I don't see anything on the radar for Fife... have you moved to Aberdeen?

You know I'm ashamed to say I have never visited Aberdeen HC.   Neighbours that I had have moved back up there recently so it is definitely on my to do list!  Been up as far as Ullapool on the other side.   (Never seen so many hairy folk!)   Long hair, beards and fishermens jerseys!   Cunning too, noticed when leaving the pub after last orders , the locals also left through the front door with the tourists,  only to re- enter again round the back!:laugh:

Can assure you it's blowin' a hoolie here!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2