Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Getting very blustery out there now. We had a 47mph gust about 4am this morning. I think this one might be a bit of a belter, much worse that Gertie. Quite worrying. Temp has dropped now to 5.5c, pressure is 985. Haud oan tae yer hats folks!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Getting very blustery out there now. We had a 47mph gust about 4am this morning. I think this one might be a bit of a belter, much worse that Gertie. Quite worrying. Temp has dropped now to 5.5c, pressure is 985. Haud oan tae yer hats folks!

Aye, you're spot on there @mistyqueen. There's a few of you who are going to get blasted up there today, some are more used to it than others though. Quite unusual for the windspeeds to be so high across the north, pretty solid agreement at 90mph gusts anywhere between you and Aberdeen, although Aberdeen itself may escape the worst. 

image.thumb.png.4dd932e64f252e997436f76b

Worth a red warning? I would think so.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis
32 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Aye, and it dropped 30mb in 24hrs = bombogenesis :bomb:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
21 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Aye, you're spot on there @mistyqueen. There's a few of you who are going to get blasted up there today, some are more used to it than others though. Quite unusual for the windspeeds to be so high across the north, pretty solid agreement at 90mph gusts anywhere between you and Aberdeen, although Aberdeen itself may escape the worst. 

image.thumb.png.4dd932e64f252e997436f76b

Worth a red warning? I would think so.

How accurate are these CMD?  Just wondering as it is showing 110km winds for my area and didn't think it would be that strong down here...

EDIT: Sorry just checked and 68mph ish so that ties in. Not very good with KPH!

Edited by P-M
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
8 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

I'm pretty sure that's a sting jet which explains why Aberdeen area may get hit hardest later tonight

sting1.png

Been wondering the very same.

Another satellite portal here from the Icelandic Met. http://brunnur.vedur.is/myndir/seviri/2016/02/01/

Below the main slot is another interesting filament, really thin line on the WV image below.

seviri_nat_wv_high_20160201_1100.thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted

GFS take on the probabilities of 110 km/h+ (circa 70 mph) gusts at storm peak tonight ...

gensprobuk-44-18.png

But the Western Isles, as ever, were progged to get the absolute strongest winds. This for this evening, for 120 km/h (circa 75 mph) gusts ...

gensprobuk-45-12.png

These are the average 10 m ASL peak gusts across the whole GEFS ensemble suite, and obviously local geography, height, and anomalous wind will produce some much higher gusts.

Linky to this excellent recently added data source on meteociel ... http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=0&mode=0&proba=1&carte=0

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

That last gust was really scary!   (only) 60mph but it went on for ages.   God knows what tomorrow morning is going to reveal.  Storm arriving 3pm apparently.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Unusual wind data for Dyce,

9:00   39 57
10:00 31 74
11:00 31 78
12:00 28 93

For the above the figures are in km/h, first is mean wind speed and second is gust. So the mean is decreasing whilst the gust has nearly doubled.

Does kind of feel like that too i.e. looks breezy out but not overly, but you occasional hear very short and violent gusts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Just went down to the postvan and the van was rocking like mad lol had to hold onto the counter. The young guy is dreading the drive back down to Yetholm tonight. It does feel like a bad one, my roof is creaking like mad and I hate that!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
29 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Unusual wind data for Dyce,

9:00   39 57
10:00 31 74
11:00 31 78
12:00 28 93

For the above the figures are in km/h, first is mean wind speed and second is gust. So the mean is decreasing whilst the gust has nearly doubled.

Does kind of feel like that too i.e. looks breezy out but not overly, but you occasional hear very short and violent gusts.

That is a bit odd... certainly not how it's changing here, which is a steady increase in mean speed (scientifically measured with my ears hearing increasing noise) but as yet no big leap in gusts since about 10 this morning (going on how much I see the trees bend when it gets extra noisy). But then you're a hundred miles east of here and the other side of the hills.  And the strongest winds are due this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

We had a gust of 70mph at 08.00 this morning at the University which surprised me a bit. Just beaten at 1pm with 71.

Gertrude on Friday had 91mph at the Uni and 96 on the bridge. Will they be beaten this evening by Henry?

Posted

Afternoon all,

Already a windy morning in NE Fife with mean speeds up to 43mph (gusting 59mph) at Leuchars earlier although they've died down temporarily for now. http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGQL.html

I'm getting the train down to Newcastle this afternoon so will be relying on you guys to keep me up to date with what's happening at home!

1 hour ago, P-M said:

How accurate are these CMD?  Just wondering as it is showing 110km winds for my area and didn't think it would be that strong down here...

EDIT: Sorry just checked and 68mph ish so that ties in. Not very good with KPH!

I should have warned they were kph. The chart ties in well with the earlier GFS, I should have reposted that one for a comparison. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Aye:

image.thumb.gif.5eaf0cd42259d88d65bdbecf

all the information I have received from the Meto show the snow level as falling to 150m by 6pm but rising back up to 300m at midnight and only 2-3cm expected by 6 am.....I think there is potential though that the uppers are a bit colder than progged leading to some pleasant surprises.

Posted
3 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Traffic Scotland are reporting the Forth Road Bridge is closed to all vehicles. 

There seemed to be about 15 mins between them warning folk 'to plan their evening commute' (aka a heavy hint) and then shutting it... perhaps suggesting a rather rapid acceleration of winds...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

There seemed to be about 15 mins between them warning folk 'to plan their evening commute' (aka a heavy hint) and then shutting it... perhaps suggesting a rather rapid acceleration of winds...

:):D:(;):rofl: ????? 

Posted
33 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

:):D:(;):rofl: ????? 

You can't make this up... the person creating the twitter feed has appended a map of the A82 closure to a mashed bit about the bridge... so the bridge has been relocated to Argyll?

Mental gust here just now - worst I've known for a long time for here.  I wonder if they'll try to relocate the Kessock Bridge out to Beatrice field?

Halitosis?  Harsh?  Hashish? Haemorrhoids?  All have a bit more to them than Henry...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 5

Posted

Gusty here too  with  heavy squally showers      Temperature  started off at 6.00am at 8c but fell away all day to 2.5c currently     Showers now have hail and sleet in them and we have a covering of slush from the most recent one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Not nearly as windy here as earlier.   Wonder how long that will last........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Turned much colder here with sleet and winds gusting over 60mph - currently 2.8'C with a windchill of around -8'C in the gusts.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
39 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

You can't make this up... the person creating the twitter feed has appended a map of the A82 closure to a mashed bit about the bridge... so the bridge has been relocated to Argyll?

That whole twitter feed is just infantile and borderline unreadable. For a 'serious' organization such as Traffic Scotland it bemuses me that they think it's acceptable.

• Like 1