Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Scot rail are cancelling some services for Monday

Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh suspended after 14:00. Last services to run will be 12:08 Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness and 11:00 Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh
Glasgow Queen Street - Oban / Fort William / Mallaig suspended between 14:00 and 19:00
Glasgow Central - Ardrossan Harbour / Largs suspended between 14:00 and 19:00.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I wouldn't worry too much Richard, it's hitting here and it's rain (with a little bit of a sleety element). Yeah a good northerly would be nice, especially with a slight easterly element to it. Other than that we need frontal snow with cold embedded prior go it, and that's just not been happening. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

The latest shower was heavy and it did lie. Grass is whiteish. Didn't lie on any concrete though. 

Posted

Just looking at the satellite imagery and radar returns and spotted a very cool looking polar low spawn off the coast between Shetland and Doricland, which is now trundling off towards Southern Norway.

x1.JPG

x2.JPG

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Pouring of rain here now but was hammering snow as came over the hill towards the broxden roundabout....my healthy covering of snow all gone already...and been out today so sledging opportunity has been missed and who knows when such an opportunity shall return....have stayed out the MT but will maybe go and have a look 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, been not much action for a while here, although snaw remains largely intact. T = 2.2 but DP is -1.6 which explains snaw not disappearing in a hurry.

Forecast and radar say I might get a few more showers overnight.

If this lot freezes up some of the local roads will be well nasty in the morning.

Posted
22 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

The 60 hr fax looks even more nuts - although doesn't have quite the same weather associated :wallbash:

The updated 60 hour is in the thick of 'Storm Henry', and seems the Met Office are expecting the worst of it to hit the Western Isles as usual, but I see a wee kink in the isobars that suggests it might get extra lively through Edinburgh and Fife for a while.

PPVJ89.gif?31415

• Like 1

Posted

just been oot with the dug and boy is it baltic..... just enough of a breeze to go right to the bone. Everywhere has now crisped over and the roads are lethal as usual.

Posted

Wee snaw shower passing through. T dropping away.

In celebration of the snaw, trying out the alpine raclette kit I got for Xmas from my French sister/brother in law.

This sort of thing:

raclette-.jpg

EDIT

Aw man am I stuffed. Melted raclette on 'jambon cru' on tatties is no exactly diet food. Good for cold weather though and heartily recommended.:)

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Wee snaw shower passing through. T dropping away.

In celebration of the snaw, trying out the alpine raclette kit I got for Xmas from my French sister/brother in law.

This sort of thing:

raclette-.jpg

EDIT

Aw man am I stuffed. Melted raclette on 'jambon cru' on tatties is no exactly diet food. Good for cold weather though and heartily recommended.:)

I thought those things were long gone, my parents had one years ago, it was awesome, in 1987...like fondue? :rofl: The cheese is awesomely smelly when your parents decide to bring some home, in the car for two days!!! 

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Heavy snow all white again.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Just had a hefty snaw shower which has topped up the snaw cover here by aboot another inch!

Every shower here today has been snaw, though there was some melt in the afternoon as the conditions had changed a wee bit but were still allowing more snaw falling?

Still snawin the noo!

Big Innes

• Like 2

Posted

Heavy snow and a cover building again!

Edit: But like the rest of today it's a 5min blizzard. Was settling but over as quick as it started!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted

Massive flakes here now temp 0c. Hopefully get to late evening tomorrow with snow cover now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Been watching the ppn go from snow to sleet to rain and back to sleet this evening.  None of the snow that was around this morning here survived till dusk so a pretty crappy day.  More to come though. Snow that is, not mongooses, or cows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Well we're all white again after just 15 minutes of very heavy snow.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I thought those things were long gone, my parents had one years ago, it was awesome, in 1987...like fondue? :rofl: The cheese is awesomely smelly when your parents decide to bring some home, in the car for two days!!! 

Aye, mind my folks had something a wee bit similar many years ago.

Raclette is haggis, neep and tatties in the Haute Savoie though, so never 'out of fashion'. And delicious too. :)

---

1.9 C here, but with the DP comfortably below freezing, my snaw is hanging around just fine.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Clear and icy here now. Wind has gone North of due West and as is usual here when that happens nothing gets through to us. Some hefty showers earlier were very pleasant on the eye.

Posted

Lovely snow here famous Clyde to Forth streamers all night.

• Like 2

Posted

Yep, as it is, it must be snowing more in Alloa than in here, someone is doing really well out of this streamer. Here it has not settled again under 100m despite a couple of beefy showers though, everything is really wet but oh well snow is still falling so pretty to see. Ah and to think that this time tomorrow we are back to pish. Nice walk in the snowy hills is on the cards tomorrow methinks. 

As for the guy who cancelled the expedition up the Ochils today, tbh you could have gone after ten as long as you had worn good clothing, I do not think that the amount of snow is extraordinary even in high altitude, as there has not been that much ppn. Having said which you would have had three times this morning which, for about 20-30min each, would have made you wish you'd never gone. Or maybe the complete opposite, depending on how you like your blizzards haha. 

Anyhoo, with a lively snawfall now and a school temp of 0.9 (so probs -0.) I thank mother earth for these 48 hours of winter that other people not too much further down south have not had the pleasure to enjoy. Attached picture explains itself :)

30jan.gif

• Like 1