Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Horizontal rain here, not that I'm bothered too much about snaw! I'd rather the wind and rain would just stop for say, a week or so and give us some calm!  Not a lot to ask is it/ temp is currently 3.4c bitingly cold. I'm sure I heard a rumble of thunder during the night too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Took the dog out for a walk, boy is it bitter out there in the brisk wind. Currently sunny with little cloud around but even the sun didn't help warm you up. Earlier dusting is surviving in the shade, but not in the sun. If that organised band to the NW on the radar gets through I've no idea if it'll fall as snow or rain, probably the latter. Weather station is in the sun at the moment so will be reading high, saying 6.4C but I doubt it's more than 2C in reality. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
11 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Funnily enough a friend said exactly the same thing just now on Facebook! I do like living here though (lack of snow notwithstanding!).

Yeah that's like AFR - cracking villages to stay in, just the coastal bit fks up the wintriness.  Mind you a lot of the old folk don't like the changes here, but that's 100% not weather related so STFU HC.

Wee patches of blue sky zipping past now...

Posted
7 hours ago, moffatross said:

The latest automated from the Met Office has 9 hours of heavy snow between 6 am and 2 pm so hope the dusting is a few inchings by the time I open the wallpaper paste pot again.

Still barely a dusting on the ground from occasional lightish snow showers brought in on the biting wind. It seems that 'Master Blizzard' and 'Miss Amber Weather-Warning' eloped away from Moffat sometime during the night :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
Just now, moffatross said:

Still barely a dusting on the ground from occasional lightish snow showers brought in on the biting wind. It seems that 'Master Blizzard' and 'Miss Amber Weather-Warning' eloped away from Moffat sometime during the night :closedeyes:

That 2nd sentence must be read at normal speed, not scanned quickly!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Regular heavy showers here and settling but a little melt when stops snowing....been better than expected already 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Amber weather warning.... Hahaha. A few hailstones and the odd flake is all we have had

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

There was a small tail of warmer uppers undercutting the cold as forecast. Just an upper air front moving through. Gone in 2 hours so tempo should drop off again. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Ach well, we had a good covering but the mild sector in the north of the country has produced heavy sleet this morning which has pretty much decimated it! 2'C currently.

Edit: Looks like the uppers will turn colder again this afternoon so can maybe get a light covering again.

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Went to get some messages. Took camera.

Was a blizzard on the way there (Earlston), then shower had passed on the way back.

Snawin again now.

5 cm lying. T = 0.5 C.

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 8

Posted
12 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Looks like you've snapped a flying coo?

Pretty sure I saw that poor sod airborne yesterday morn, think it was originally from a farm on Uist

Hammering down here, given up on keeping the path clear

• Like 2

Posted

Some light snow now blowing around in the wind, I think it's been blown off the Cairngorms as little cloud around. 

Posted
1 hour ago, NorthernRab said:

Ach well, we had a good covering but the in the north of the country has produced heavy sleet this morning which has pretty much decimated it! 2'C currently.

Edit: Looks like the uppers will turn colder again this afternoon so can maybe get a light covering again.

yes had some snow here this morning but it turn milder few hours later

Edited by Stuart

Posted

Cloud rolled in and snowing properly now. Moderately heavy blizzard but struggling to lie, especially as it seems to be turning to wetter snow. 

Posted

What a beautiful morning to wake up to! Apart from the beauty of this relatively copious (1-2in) snowfall at 45m -which is pretty much gone- the situation in itself has been great. I will be changing my views on westerly winds as well, they're not always the devil haha

Great to see so many people have done well, impressive to see the far east being affected by this set up, but again this only reinforces my idea that this whole sit should be food for thought. 

Still, there is a tiny wee point in the far end of Fife that avoids wintriness at all costs, same as Astelix's hamlet resisted the Romans lol, Incredible Scotland, so many microclimates, it's mind-blowing. I'd definitely move houses if I were you though, Lomond Hills probably would be your best shot, Benvironment would be your neighbour as well! ;)

Here all day we've had three very intense snow showers interspersed with sunny bits and an undesired thaw. Still, it's unsurprising as the ground is too warm and temps too marginal for it to settle. It did do during the night but as soon as 8am snow started to melt. 

Now there is a heavy snow/hail shower but temps have gone down from 3.9 to 3.3 in school so we are probably in our 1s. 

EDIT it's turned to proper driving snow.

Edited by peborant
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

There has been wafts of snow in blizzard conditions on and off today. Sadly most of the lying snow we had this morning has melted. Still a fair gusty wind. 

49 minutes ago, snowy owl said:

There has been wafts of snow in blizzard conditions on and off today. Sadly most of the lying snow we had this morning has melted. Still a fair gusty wind. 

It's about the same here, although I am not far from you in a straight line I would think. It's a shame there wasn't a bit more snow as the wind would be making some nice big drifts out of it. Mebbes next time.