Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Tonight's rush hour and beyond in the Central belt is going to be horrendous.

It's already hinging outside, already getting gusts nearing 30mph with a constant rain,,,

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

• Like 5

Posted

trans.pngJust a quick question, but is that a PL forming up to the NW ?

f.png

Edited by GraemeB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Pants. I'm supposed to be flying out of Aberdeen this afternoon.

Better set off as early as possible I guess and hope for the best.

Cool, I'll wave to you as your aircraft flies sideways over our office. Not too windy at the moment.

@Polar Maritime I saw those nacreous clouds on my drive into work this morning, unfortunately I couldn't stop to try to get a photo. Was really pleased to see them, especially as I missed them last week.

Temp was 9.somethingC when I looked this morning, clouding over a bit now after a relatively sunny start to the day. Breezy, but nothing compared to what's forecast for later. Sure our forecast wind speed gusts have been toned down a bit from yesterday, on the MetO/BBC output anyway.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
2 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Pants. I'm supposed to be flying out of Aberdeen this afternoon.

Better set off as early as possible I guess and hope for the best.

I regularly fly in and out of LBA, and even on the windiest, stormiest days you just take off normally albeit with a few lumps and bumps on the way up. It's the landings up there in rough weather that can be a bit grim for those not used to them, but if it's a real problem the folks up front will just take you round again and if that doesn't work they'll take you somewhere else.

I should think you'll be fine for this afternoon, just take plenty of time for your drive to the airport. Going anywhere nice???

Posted
10 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

trans.pngJust a quick question, but is that a PL forming up to the NW ?

f.png

I'm no expert, but if you watch the satellite animation on yr.no (http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html) I'm pretty sure it's just the intensification of the centre of 'Storm Henry' to me. I think a polar low forms in a cold northerly airflow, which isn't really what we have at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

That's the first band of showers going through now, all very quiet and dark (well not indoors, I've still got the lights on) and looks a bit ominous.

The Trafficscotland twitter feed would be improved by not having lots of spurious characters added to each new message.  

• Like 4

Posted

Couldn't agree more HC 

I mean, stating a road is closed due to a "Garage Fire" is sufficient without the use of an emoticon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
10 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

I should think you'll be fine for this afternoon, just take plenty of time for your drive to the airport. Going anywhere nice???

Sure. More bad weather on the drive up from Edinburgh I was worried about. Overturned lorries etc. However, I should be fine as I'm flying before 4 pm and the winds peak later.

Stavanger for a day for work. And nae snaw there either. :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Very blustery/showery here this a.m.   Already had a gust of 51.9mph.   Hope it doesn't turn out to be as bad as expected though.   Gawd I HATE wind!  10.2c/WSW.aircam_pic.php.thumb.jpg.fc3367aa43f7021

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
4 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Sure. More bad weather on the drive up from Edinburgh I was worried about. Overturned lorries etc. However, I should be fine as I'm flying before 4 pm and the winds peak later.

Stavanger for a day for work. And nae snaw there either. :nonono:

When your travelling for work maybe "nae snaw" is the best scenario! Have a good and safe day...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Watch this Graeme - it's Henry doing it's rapid cyclogenesis

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

56af2829ce7dd_PPVE89(1).thumb.gif.36f454EUMETSAT_MSG_RGB-airmass-westernEurope.t

View from the excellent earth map by Beccario

http://earth.nullschool.net/#2016/02/02/0000Z/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-2.40,50.24,1024/loc=-2.664,57.277

Also this view gives an idea of the vortex position and cold temps creating the PSC / Nacreous displays.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#2016/02/01/0600Z/wind/isobaric/10hPa/overlay=temp/orthographic=-0.48,54.78,512/loc=-7.496,54.296

• Like 5

Posted

Already getting seriously wild out there (and this is nowhere near the peak yet)

• Like 1

Posted

Someone turned the wind on around 1.30am at Glencoe, had a guest of 103mph at the carpark at 1200ft and 109mph on the Access Chair just before 9am. Not long afterwards blue flashing lights went past, first vehicles blown off the A82! :bomb:

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 2

Posted

Another couple of images from EUMeTrain, great fun this site and highly educative.

http://www.eumetrain.org/eport/euro_06.php?width=1366&height=768&date=2016020106&region=euro

Dark area on WV shows descending strat air, and am wondering if that is enough to deliver a sting jet? Another closer view of the airmass shows the stratospheric air in red mirroring the dry slot on the wv imagery.

wv.thumb.JPG.c551f902ab69a23fb78086a2d54Capture.thumb.JPG.f99172c0c095dd18195db4

From the surface plot, 570d air in the very SW of the UK dropping to 518d in the very North east, huge gradient.

2016020109_eur_full_large.thumb.gif.155a

Going to be a busy old day on Traffic Scotland 

http://trafficscotland.org/currentincidents/?utm_campaign=engagor&utm_content=engagor_Mzg1MzA1NA%3D%3D&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

• Like 5

Posted

Wind picking up rapidly here now. @scottish skier at least the flight time to Stavanger will be nice and short today, that's one hell of a tail wind you're going to have!

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, skifreak said:

Already had 5 vehicle windows blown in at the carpark at Glencoe. :nonono:

Blimey, what does that say about later!   Got a bad feeling about this one.   Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Blimey, what does that say about later!   Got a bad feeling about this one.   Hope I'm wrong.

It's already really squally here. We're exposed to whatever comes hammering across from Inverness here and that's the direction for this one... Folk already thinking about getting home safely after studies, work, whatever at the end of the afternoon then probably not going out again. Ever :crazy:

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

It's already really squally here. We're exposed to whatever comes hammering across from Inverness here and that's the direction for this one... Folk already thinking about getting home safely after studies, work, whatever at the end of the afternoon then probably not going out again. Ever :crazy:

Really squally here too HC.   Already a lot different from Gertrude.   Wise decision I think,  getting home early.  

Our High school is open,  as I noticed all the double deck buses dropping kids off.   Hope the school keeping an eye open, as I wouldn't want my kids travelling, especially on double deck buses.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Anyone think there is snow potential when this storm drags some coldr uppers in?

• Like 1

Posted