Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Scott it was yeah, but anyone has to agree nowadays snow is very rare at low levels in the south during December, especially first half, and post about early Dec being the most westerly of the year wasn't sarcasm, I believe that to be true

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Grrr... why does it have to be so expensive? Perhaps I'll have to make an offer and hope for the best. Want it so badly...  :sorry:

post-10703-0-56092300-1448398920_thumb.p

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Grrr... why does it have to be so expensive? Perhaps I'll have to make an offer and hope for the best. Want it so badly...  :sorry:

attachicon.gifGreenland High.png

LOL... I can't believe I just went onto ebay and searched Greenland high...  :rofl:

Oh wait I got a message - ''Out of stock until after the super El Nino''   :shok:

• Like 1

Posted

LOL... I can't believe I just went onto ebay and searched Greenland high...  :rofl:

Oh wait I got a message - ''Out of stock until after the super El Nino''   :shok:

Oh that's just great! Just when I was about to put in a very cheap offer, and the darn item is suddenly unavailable. Knew it was too good to be true.  :nonono:

Now I, and the rest of the cold weather fans, will have to wait till this El Nino thing is over. Just typical really...

I'd be curious to see if there is anyone on here who would actually pay that much money for a Greenland high that gaurenteed another winter like 1962-63?

I admit I wouldn't, but that would be interesting, though (lol). :) Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Hahaha... that's actually quite funny! I'd be curious to see if there is anyone on here who would actually pay that much money for a Greenland high that gaurenteed another winter like 1962-63?

Oh I'm sure we could crowd source the funds, and certain newspapers may contribute, just to be proven right for once.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Oh that's just great! Just when I was about to put in a very cheap offer, and the darn item is suddenly unavailable. Knew it was too good to be true.  :nonono:

Now I, and the rest of the cold weather fans, will have to wait till this El Nino thing is over. Just typical really...

I'm as gutted as you about this... There's a trade, we can have a Greenland high all winter but the following summer will be the coldest and wettest on record?  Lol... 

Posted

I'm as gutted as you about this... There's a trade, we can have a Greenland high all winter but the following summer will be the coldest and wettest on record?  Lol...

If that's the case, I'll have to abandon the deal. Couldn't bear the thought of experiencing a dull Summer like that just to get a Greenland High. I would then miss the thunderstorms and heat. If only there was a way to have both.  :cray:

• Like 1

Posted

There are enough knowledgeable posters here saying the same thing to make me think they might be correct. In fact, I have a (personal and very unscientific) pet hypothesis that the experts who said that lowland Britain wouldn't see snow post-2010 were right, but just a few years premature. The past two winters, when taken into context with how this one appears to be heading, makes me wonder whether climate change has so comprehensively altered the NH winter that it tips the UK past the point of no return.

Any knowledgeable poster wouldn't rule out the next three and half months. And your point post 2010 is absolutely ridiculous. Was there a magical switch flipped after the Coldest December in 100 years which means it's impossible to see a flake again? So ridiculous

Edited by -Bomber-
  • Like 4

Posted

Ridiculous indeed Bomber.  But I'm reminded of the old adage:

"I have an opinion and I have an internet connection...".

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Mild winters and cold winters can occur in clusters, so I can guarantee that all of lowland Britain will see snow again. :good: Nothing unusual about three mild winters in a row, if indeed this one is going to be mild. One thing about winter storms, why name them 'Barney', how about something that would make people take them more seriously, storm 'Oblivion' or storm 'Beelzebub' would be more apt if we get another huge storm this winter. :blink2:

• Like 1

Posted

Scott it was yeah, but anyone has to agree nowadays snow is very rare at low levels in the south during December, especially first half, and post about early Dec being the most westerly of the year wasn't sarcasm, I believe that to be true

Hasn't snow at low levels in the south during the first half of December always been rare though (not just nowadays)? In fact wouldn't the records show that only a handful of early December's produced snow at low levels through the whole of the 20th century? And being as we had a snowy and very cold start to December a mere 5 years ago it's not like we're overdue one. This is the UK after all not Siberia and almost all harsh Winters in this part of the world start much later than this, by a month at least. To realistically expect such conditions at this time of year in our part of the world is quite a detachment from reality and it seems that 2010 has really skewed perceptions (amazing how one year can do this). Winter may officially start on 1st December by the meteorological definition but in reality I think the astronomical definition of on or around 21st December is a far more realistic benchmark, with the first two thirds being more Autumnal than Wintry. Much like how the start of September doesn't feel much like Autumn and can often be quite Summery, with the trees still fully leafed and green. I think expectations are maybe too high for this time of year, and we'll have a better idea of how this Winter's going to pan out as we head through December, but not necessarily a clear one. So to anybody writing the Winter (which hasn't started yet) off already is getting way ahead of themselves. Oh and I'd also like to add there were some posters who were throwing toys out their prams back in February 2013 (despite just having a snowy end to January) when the following month we had our coldest March in half a century. Nobody really knows whether we'll get lots of snow a bit of snow or no snow yet.

Edited by WALSALL SNOW
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Mild winters and cold winters can occur in clusters, so I can guarantee that all of lowland Britain will see snow again. :good: Nothing unusual about three mild winters in a row, if indeed this one is going to be mild. One thing about winter storms, why name them 'Barney', how about something that would make people take them more seriously, storm 'Oblivion' or storm 'Beelzebub' would be more apt if we get another huge storm this winter. :blink2:

Depends on your deffinition of huge, by comparisson to some Hurricanes and tropical monsoons, a stiff gale and a few chimney pots blown over is like comparing a sardine to a salmon...weird conotation there lol... However, I do like your suggestion.. Storm Abigail was a crap name for a storm..."oooh its got the syllable "gail" in it..."  pfft.. :nonono: And dont get me started on Storm Purple Dinosaur..

I think the next storm should be called Storm "Apocalypse Now"  :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Yeah fair enough. Can't say I know enough about the charts you've posted; did they bare any insight into the weekend's northerly? Personally, I'm not going to look more than a week ahead at a time as I don't think we can safely write off weeks re Euro High / Atlantic domination in the UK when the PV is such a mess.

those anomaly charts show the expected mean upper flow, it doesnt mean there cant be brief cold snaps like last weekend, there can, but because they are breif they dont usually show up on the anoms. the anoms suggest the mean upper flow, not the detail, but a pattern change from mobile westerly will show up on the anoms. they are not infalible, no weather preciction tool is, but are the most accurate for suggesting the overall pattern for the 6-14 day timeframe.

Not a moan or a ramp, but I presume you expect a mild/very mild winter?  I know you want a mild winter, but that isn't the same thing!

nope.... i dont expect anything. i have no idea what sort of winter we will get, beyond the 2 week timeframe. its not so much that i want a mild winter (i do want a two week cold snap otherwise it isnt a winter) but i can use mild weather and as ive got older i cant tollerate the cold so much!

for me and snow/cold - its all or nothing, a proper deep blizzard will do, anything less is just a nuisance.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

I feel this winter is going to be yet another dismal mess of mild and wet weather with very little cold.  So depressing.

Posted

Came across this site which monitors #uksnow on twitter to show live where it is snowing in the UK.

http://uksnowmap.com/

Kind want to put up a fake tweet to see if actually works as I don't think it's snowing anywhere atm lol. :D

Posted

Came across this site which monitors #uksnow on twitter to show live where it is snowing in the UK.

http://uksnowmap.com/

Kind want to put up a fake tweet to see if actually works as I don't think it's snowing anywhere atm lol. :D

You can also plot the same stuff over on the radar + you can plot #ukrain, #ukstorms, #ukfog :)

http://www.netweather.tv/radar

Switch on the social radar bit to activate.

Posted

9.8C here and the cloud has gone with almost completely blue skies, but I have no idea how long this may last!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

nope.... i dont expect anything. i have no idea what sort of winter we will get, beyond the 2 week timeframe. its not so much that i want a mild winter (i do want a two week cold snap otherwise it isnt a winter) but i can use mild weather and as ive got older i cant tollerate the cold so much!

for me and snow/cold - its all or nothing, a proper deep blizzard will do, anything less is just a nuisance.

Thanks for that, Rob.  I think I had you down as more of a mild ramper than you are. :oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Ridiculous indeed Bomber.  But I'm reminded of the old adage:

"I have an opinion and I have an internet connection...".

Sorry gents. :oops:   Put it down to a bit of despondency and an instinct which is probably well wide of the mark.  I just wondered whether the "no more snow in lowland Britain" stuff, overhyped as it was at the time, might have had a degree of truth behind it?

Edited by cpb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

Sorry gents. :oops:   Put it down to a bit of despondency and an instinct which is probably well wide of the mark.  I just wondered whether the "no more snow in lowland B ritain" stuff, overhyped as it was at the time, might have had a degree of truth behind it?

I doubt it.  If Jerusalem can get snow, then I'm sure lowland Britain will continue to get it too, albeit more sporadically, in the coming years if global warming continues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I feel this winter is going to be yet another dismal mess of mild and wet weather with very little cold.  So depressing.

Welcome to the normal uk winter: what on earth do some expect every year here?

Posted

3 months of blizzards, drifts and sub zero temperatures. What else? :cold::D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The majority of the UK is not like Cornwall's snowless climate. Snow is not unusual. Please, come on...

• Like 4