Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

And how often did this happen. Not often I bet. Don't remember the end of November 1985 being as I was only 8 months old at the time but I reckon it wasn't like that at the end of November's 1984 and 1986 though. In fact i've heard that December 1985 was very mild but was followed by the last sub zero CET month before December 2010, which was February 1986. I've also heard that December 1986 was quite average and in the Christmas weather thread BFTP posted about his memories of Christmas 1986 and how mild it was, and we all know about how January 1987 was a different story with the South East of England in particular recording its lowest temperatures since the Little Ice Age, apparently. Some people expect too much too soon it seems. For example my mum was telling me today how she's heard people saying how it doesn't feel like Christmas. Probably has alot to do with the fact that it isn't Christmas yet. In fact it isn't even December and Winter for another 9 minutes (at time of typing).

one thing nobody can argue about is the fact over the past 20 years the northern atlantic has got alot more active during the winter months with a greater amount of very deep lows which is caused with a more powerful polar vortex fact not fiction have a look at the archives which proves the point  http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=30&month=11&year=1985&hour=0&map=0&mode=0

Edited by igloo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

1st day of winter and theres already an air of groundhog day to it,they say it comes in 3's,i do hope it wont,the last 2 winters have been mild and damp,lets have snow and ice for a change

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Dont like the look of gfs or ecm this morning.

Its a shame euro highs are not this strong and resiliant in summer!

:nonono:

trend is to bring back our usual westerlies, ECM had a wobble on yesterday's 00Z and 12Z, no shock to say low levels in the south will see no snow before Xmas, and very little respite to zonal onslaught, that is not negative its realistic

Posted

1st day of winter and theres already an air of groundhog day to it,they say it comes in 3's,i do hope it wont,the last 2 winters have been mild and damp,lets have snow and ice for a change

Any cold this Winter is pretty much reliant on a SSW in Mid to late January.

All the big Winter forecasters are going for it.

Just need patience.

Posted

Well considering what the models are offering for the foreseeable,the latest mo further outlook ain't to bad imo.

Posted

gfs-0-192.png?12?12ECM1-192.GIF?01-0pleased to see models still going for high pressure in deep FI!

http://wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1921.html

http://wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1921.html

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Would love the buzz of a Thames streamer again here, 12.1°c and it's nearly midnight, there is only so much one can take ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Quite enjoying the mild temperatures as am saving on heating but would rather it was far sunnier. This gloom gets very depressing even tho' I kind of expect it at this time of year. A cold frosty sunny high world be lovely for a few weeks!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

A truly awful start to December,fingers crossed a switch to some proper weather soon and not this mild trash we have now! Winter weather should be something to enjoy and treasure,not this bland crap we have at the moment

Posted
13 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

Only if you actually like cold weather, should you cherish it. As far as I'm concerned, the abhorrent white rubbish can stay away permanently... I don't even want it at Christmas either. Once the festive season ends, roll on spring I say.

http://fuschertoerl.panomax.com/

Stunning white rubbish then??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I do like crisp frosty and snowy weather which seems increasingly rare down here as i have gotten older.I don't mind the mildness but when it's accompanied with wind.rain and poor light-yuk!

Today has been ok with some sunshine in fact but some areas are looking at troublesome amounts of rain with the wavering pfj across us so not good for some.

Posted
1 hour ago, Hocus Pocus said:

Another truly awful day of cloud and rains, it's now 16 days since I last saw sunshine. Roll on the next ice age.:D

Blimey I thought it was bad here.. but that's slightly worse (surely the cold snap in November brought some?)

We actually had about 90 minutes of mostly sunny conditions this morning :shok:

Posted
1 minute ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

People say that to me all of the time and try to convince me that it's a "thing of beauty", but it doesn't even look nice. If it did, I would maybe have a slight desire for it, but unfortunately I don't.

Everybody to their own,thats what makes life interesting!

Posted

To be honest, if we can't have snow and frost then let's have 15C and blandness.  It beats 6C and heavy rain for sure!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Evening thunder said:

Surely this looks nice to some extent? 

565efa1719213_18thdec6.thumb.jpg.092c10b565efa4decb55_20th5.thumb.jpg.fe8252d00b565efa8dee2fe_24th3.thumb.jpg.d821bb4351565efac4b640c_25th2.thumb.jpg.14a00e02c5

Taken by me in December 2010

It does look beautiful! Shame it usually goes slushy and dirty so quickly, at least where I live anyway. Bring back some proper '80's style freezing spells if it's going to snow. Otherwise would rather it was just dry and sunny.

Posted
1 hour ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

People say that to me all of the time and try to convince me that it's a "thing of beauty", but it doesn't even look nice. If it did, I would maybe have a slight desire for it, but unfortunately I don't.

I can understand actually where your coming from,its all down to personal choice,i feel the same about any kind of heat or humidity,to me it doesn't feel,smell or look attractive(heat haze,baking countryside). Its just how we see things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Looks great to me, I really feel sorry for the youngsters these days, down here in Somerset  they haven't seen proper snow, we haven't had a proper blizzard since Jan 82, one with a howling NE wind and snow over the tops of the hedges It makes me laugh really to see the Armageddon type reaction  from the media etc when we get two or three inches .

I honestly think though when we do get a repeat performance, a lot of people will get very cold , because unlike then  when  good percentage of people still had open fires , we were still able to keep warm, unlike now where the majority of households are in the clutches of spiv utility companies. I for one wouldn't be without my stove and open fire.  No power = no pumps to fire up your central heating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
25 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It does look beautiful! Shame it usually goes slushy and dirty so quickly, at least where I live anyway. Bring back some proper '80's style freezing spells if it's going to snow. Otherwise would rather it was just dry and sunny.

But what was so special about the cold spells of the 1980s? In my day, it was the cold spells of the 1960s that were somehow special...I was living in Bromley, in December 2010, and that cold spell was as special as any I've witnessed...:)

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Thought I'd pop in here an simply have a moan over my location. Snow is my favourite weather type like a lot on here and I wish it wasn't! You'd think living here in the North West would be a decent place for snow, oh no not the Wirral, we are flat as a pancake, surrounded 3 sides by the Irish sea, have Liverpool city centre on the other side of the Mersey and to top it off are protected by the Welsh hills and the Pennines!! So when a cold spell comes 9 times out of 10 we miss out while most of the region gets plastered. Here's hoping for a cold cold spell this year to have a chance!

Posted
55 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes that is not so good and can see why it doesn't appeal then. I guess that happens quite often here too (when it actually snows) as is the nature of the UK. December 2010 really was the month here for snow and cold. January 2010 is second best that I've experienced but not nearly as good with a max snow depth of 6cm

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

^^

I can understand you not liking cold as most (apart from forumites) in this country don't but your argument falls down because you say you don't like it because it feels horrible and causes accidents, but you prefer 10c and severe gale force winds, I can Understand Gavin because he likes high pressure and sun, but 10c and severe gales and heavy rain surely feels worse than 0c and 0mph winds, to be honest, I prefer gale force Easterlies and Max temps of 0c combined!!

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

I'm not just enjoying these mild temperatures, I'm loving them! Yesterday was 13°C  with rushing stormy clouds and today is 12°C with sunny spells.

A beautiful start to December! More of the same please! :)

Agree with that, 2 decent days with no rain, but I reckon 2nd half of Dec will be ugly with cold zonality, the worst ever setup for low levels in the south

Your area may do better although you are fairly low