Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

For me the highlight of snow cover are the sunrises and sunsets, Thats the bonus of Winter. When the conditions are 'just right' that is sub zero temps, clear sky and snowcover i always head to the Scottish mountains for a early morning/late evening wonder. Its the best feeling in the world being up there away from it all watching the hills turn Yellow then deep Orange/Red, Every blink is a different picture with detail constantly coming and going. Will never bore me..

FB_IMG_1438107518509.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, mulzy said:

To be honest, if we can't have snow and frost then let's have 15C and blandness.  It beats 6C and heavy rain for sure!!

probably agree with this even more, 15C and bland rules, cold zonality drools for low levels in the south, dream setup for Scottish hills

Posted
4 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

Only if you actually like cold weather, should you cherish it. As far as I'm concerned, the abhorrent white rubbish can stay away permanently... I don't even want it at Christmas either. Once the festive season ends, roll on spring I say.

13 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

See, I still look at that and can't see anything to like about it. It just makes everywhere look like a miserable, grey-white wasteland. At least when it melts it brings a bit of colour back to the world.

And yet July last year you were saying this for a wonderful Autumn. 

"

have a gut feeling that we might get a 2010-style autumn this year, which I certainly wouldn't mind at all. A warm and settled September, followed by a cool, foggy and frosty October and a cold, snowy November all in one is the perfect mix for a wonderful autumn."

Strange talk from someone who says they hate cold and snow. Frosty October, a snowy cold November? 

• Like 4

Posted

Thunderbolt_ you are not in minority, most people I know aren't keen on snow, and nobody prefers winter over summer

just thought you as a weather enthusiast would find it interesting, especially with your timelapses

And no, January '87 will never happen again

Posted
4 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

Only if you actually like cold weather, should you cherish it. As far as I'm concerned, the abhorrent white rubbish can stay away permanently... I don't even want it at Christmas either. Once the festive season ends, roll on spring I say.

32 minutes ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

See, I still look at that and can't see anything to like about it. It just makes everywhere look like a miserable, grey-white wasteland. At least when it melts it brings a bit of colour back to the world.

And yet July last year you were saying this for a wonderful Autumn. 

"

have a gut feeling that we might get a 2010-style autumn this year, which I certainly wouldn't mind at all. A warm and settled September, followed by a cool, foggy and frosty October and a cold, snowy November all in one is the perfect mix for a wonderful autumn."

Strange talk from someone who says they hate cold and snow. Frosty October, a snowy cold November? 

• Like 5

Posted

I can't get my head around  of this new layout.

Try again 

The last two named  storms has proven costly. A neighbour's trampoline wrecked, my neighbour's fencing damaged , the fencing between us and the bungalow damaged. All caught on my time-lapses. I hope that this season is not going to be something damaged for every named storm.  

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

I can't get my head around  of this new layout.

Try again 

The last two named  storms has proven costly. A neighbour's trampoline wrecked, my neighbour's fencing damaged , the fencing between us and the bungalow damaged. All caught on my time-lapses. I hope that this season is not going to be something damaged for every named storm.  

annoying forum changes, i mean what for? was fine before, and how do you change username?

• Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

annoying forum changes, i mean what for? was fine before, and how do you change username?

Assume you can still read the topic titles on here despite the changes? In which case maybe ask your questions in the thread dedicated to helping people around the new forum, and don't just clog this one up with an off topic moan?

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

I actually agree with you!  although it does look nice like this , for a while anyway,

then i get bored of monotous white after say... 2 days, and want  greens, browns, greys, blues, purples and all the other subtle  colours of the landscape to come back, and besides, it usually goes grey and slushy and just a damn nuisance,  and god forbid that slush refreezes, just nasty.

it also represents cold and winter, my hated season,

only 3 full months to the start of march, cant wait 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

GFS has the pressure going very high next week - 1042mb on Wednesday, still a long way off but it would be nice to have a settled period after all the rain and wind we've had throughout November.

Posted
2 minutes ago, jpro747 said:

GFS has the pressure going very high next week - 1042mb on Wednesday, still a long way off but it would be nice to have a settled period after all the rain and wind we've had throughout November.

Fully agree, but just feel it will flatten out, December high pressure very rare these days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Thunderbolt_ you are not in minority, most people I know aren't keen on snow, and nobody prefers winter over summer

Indeed - hence (I suspect) why most modern Met Office/BBC broadcat meteorologists adopt what I refer-to as the "at least it's mild" approach - they know most viewers like dull, mild drizzle as it presents the least inconvenience.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Funny... literally everybody in my office has complained about how mild it has been, especially so the frequency of drizzle - the two combined are a nuisance. A number have stated they like the winter wrap-up and most have exclaimed how much they love cold, frosty, sunny mornings. Admittedly, only a handful have jumped up and down at the thought of snow as like most on here, they lose interest when it no longer looks nice and pristine (unless it gets them a day off work), but the consensus is that most normal people like seasonal weather and more bothered about wet vs. dry than cold vs. warm.

Posted

I do think joe public prefer sunny calm cold weather as opposed to grey wet and windy in winter,  i like grey wet windy in winter:D as long as we get sunny ,warm weather in the right season with some thunder , snow can do one, but its all part of the climate system, so when  it comes I just put up  for a few days:cold: ....  or just hours lately:rolleyes:  , nature does what it does

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

Funny... literally everybody in my office has complained about how mild it has been, especially so the frequency of drizzle - the two combined are a nuisance. A number have stated they like the winter wrap-up and most have exclaimed how much they love cold, frosty, sunny mornings. Admittedly, only a handful have jumped up and down at the thought of snow as like most on here, they lose interest when it no longer looks nice and pristine (unless it gets them a day off work), but the consensus is that most normal people like seasonal weather and more bothered about wet vs. dry than cold vs. warm.

No wonder they don't mind cold since they work in an office. Easy.  They might change opinion if working outdoors all day. Crisp, sunny mornings are better than wet cloudy ones even they are colder, but often it is cold AND wet. "Out of office of course" :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Almost everyone I know has welcomed and been pleased at how mild it has been. Swings and roundabouts and all that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

But what was so special about the cold spells of the 1980s? In my day, it was the cold spells of the 1960s that were somehow special...I was living in Bromley, in December 2010, and that cold spell was as special as any I've witnessed...:)

Had some proper deep snowfalls back then and massive drifts too, with several consecutive days of temps below 0C day and night. None of this 'modern' 2cm of wet rubbish that just sits there slowly melting as the temp inevitably rises above freezing. I was born in the early 1970's so don't know about the 60's but am sure anything then was better than recent decades here (bar 2010).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

why the changes?.... dont like it....

well theres a little hint on the 8-14 day anomaly charts that a mean upper high will build over the newfoundland area later next week. looking like at least itll get cooler with pm air, who knows IF that upper ridge builds far enough east and IF the mean upper trough sites itself over scandinavia - not an impossible scenario given the emerging evolution - we might just get a proper cold spell in time for crimbo.

lets have winters cold sooner rather then later, if it has to get cold at all!

• Like 1

Posted

MOD thread at present seems to my layman'e eyes all over the place.  Cold rampers are cherry-picking charts that suggest wintry weather pre-Christmas, while mild rampers are showing outputs that suggest exceptional warmth this month.:cc_confused:

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
43 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

MOD thread at present seems to my layman'e eyes all over the place.  Cold rampers are cherry-picking charts that suggest wintry weather pre-Christmas, while mild rampers are showing outputs that suggest exceptional warmth this month.:cc_confused:

I didn't know there were any 'mild' rampers?..as the weather by definition in the UK is mild most of the time

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

I didn't know there were any 'mild' rampers?..as the weather by definition in the UK is mild most of the time

Well, perhaps I should have said "those who prefer mild weather".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
18 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

A car accident is the reason why I personally don't like it, as I was nearly wrapped up in one myself in March 2013. I don't say that anyone shouldn't like snow for the sake of disruption, as let's face it, all severe weather causes disruption. Nobody on here is wrong for not liking snow, nor am I for not liking it.

On the gales perspective, I just find something ominously beautiful about stormy clouds racing by and 11C and 8AM in December/January, like was the case this morning. On the other hand, like Gavin, I also like mild high pressure in winter too (ala February 1998)

This November and December has been perfect for me, and I understand that for some, they have been on the rear-end. Likewise, that's where I would be if a repeat of Janaury 1987 happened.

If you had a life-changing car accident in March 2013, why were you still ramping snow and cold in 2014? 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Yarmy said:

If you had a life-changing car accident in March 2013, why were you still ramping snow and cold in 2014? 

Does it really matter, if he now doesn't like snow & cold, he doesn't?

• Like 4