Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

Welcome to the normal uk winter: what on earth do some expect every year here?

well kind of, yes.  A few days of lying snow would be nice and should be typical...even in the 'mild' UK.  That is normal.  Winters with no snow whatsoever is abnormal.

• Like 2

Posted

The majority of the UK is not like Cornwall's snowless climate. Snow is not unusual. Please, come on...

I agree.  the usual amount of lying snow in somewhere, say the Midlands, should be between 10-20 days per year, so those who say its to be expected in the mild UK not to get 'any' snow is talking rubbish.  Yes, of course we have occasional winters that produce little if any snow, but they should not be considered the norm by any means.

Posted

how are some people saying the current very mild temperatures we are experiencing are 'classic El Nino, when the following is said on wikipedia:-

El Niño's effects on Europe appear to be strongest in winter. Recent evidence indicates that El Niño causes a colder, drier winter in Northern Europe and a milder, wetter winter in Southern Europe.[29] The El Niño winter of 2009/10 was extremely cold in Northern Europe

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I won't be happy until I get scenes like this!! It's in Lapland, Netweather members holiday? :D 

post-9615-0-60458000-1448463739_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

I won't be happy until I get scenes like this!! It's in Lapland, Netweather members holiday? :D

attachicon.giflapland.jpg

Hmm doesn't look deep enough to me, and also I can see no further showers on the horizon... roll on next winter! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Hmm doesn't look deep enough to me, and also I can see no further showers on the horizon... roll on next winter! 

LOL.. You'd turn your nose up at that? Just no pleasing some people  :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

maxresdefault.jpg

Is this deep enough???

Nah!

what about this :D

post-16960-0-99308400-1448466361_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

maxresdefault.jpg

Is this deep enough???

Yeh thats looks nice and deep only problem is the deepest snow alot of the time is frontal snow so chances are the next will be mild sw'erly so still not pleased ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Nah, what we need is this.

XIk3YdS.jpg

:bomb::D

• Like 1

Posted

Nah, what we need is this.

XIk3YdS.jpg

Apparently this photo will be used in the Netweather winter forecast for Jan 16 :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

still hoping that high pressure will move in around 4th Dec, GFS and GEM show it, has been showing on other runs as well, fully expected it to be ditched on todays 12Z's

still not expecting it though, my usual thoughts for Dec are low after low, deluges and gales

Posted

The news I know many have been waiting for. The dafs are here!!

Unseasonably warm weather means flowers arrive a month earlier than normal in Cornwall

2CF8CDB000000578-0-image-a-89_1448429062

Edited by knocker
  • Like 6

Posted

I know this is November but this has been the darkest, dullest month I can ever remember, even the weekend 'crisp cold spell' filled with thick haze by midday Saturday and the sun never even bothered Sunday  :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The news I know many have been waiting for. The dafs are here!!

Unseasonably warm weather means flowers arrive a month earlier than normal in Cornwall

2CF8CDB000000578-0-image-a-89_1448429062

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3333022/Springing-daffs-don-t-know-s-November.html

Good to hear our Worcestershire asparagus is doingas well as the Cornish daffs. We certainly benefit most from the milder glances of air off the Atlantic this time of year in the SW quarter of the country before the cold fronts catch up or warm sectors often sink south again. Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.
still hoping that high pressure will move in around 4th Dec, GFS and GEM show it, has been showing on other runs as well, fully expected it to be ditched on todays 12Z's

Noticed the models were flip flopping about last night/today. Hints last night of a Scandinavian high trying to build at the end of the run but all back to the usual today.

Most of Europe appears to be firmly stuck in this mild weather as well.

Edited by Peter H

Posted

What I wanna see as well is a mild winter in the US, was annoying last year feet of snow there, with posts creeping into the forum

• Like 3

Posted

GFS right 00Z low all the way, ECM and GEM ridiculous with high pressure near us

no need for models now for Dec, netweather forecasters very knowledgeable, I know for definite Dec will be low after low, 2nd half worse as jet moves south, 384 chart will come off, already shows evidence of netweathers suggestion of flooding later in Dec

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

GFS right 00Z low all the way, ECM and GEM ridiculous with high pressure near us

no need for models now for Dec, netweather forecasters very knowledgeable, I know for definite Dec will be low after low, 2nd half worse as jet moves south, 384 chart will come off, already shows evidence of netweathers suggestion of flooding later in Dec

Blimey.

I know it's Black Friday tomorrow but it's just a bizarre shopping import from the USA, not an instruction for the state of mind. Despondency with that level of commitment is going to make it a very looooooong winter. Cheer up eh.  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Thanks for that, Rob.  I think I had you down as more of a mild ramper than you are. :oops:

i dont think anyone here ramps the mild, i do like mild weather and it bothers me not if we dont get any snow/freeze. but in saying that my favourite winters were 81/2, 2010/11, early hard cold over crimbo , mild by mid january onwards. i LOVE mild februaries like 1980 but without earlier cold they do lose some of their impact.

unfortunately, model wise, theres no sign whatsoever of a freeze by crimbo, ... but it is early?.. im looking at the 500mb anomaly charts and they are stuck in this strong, broadly westerly upper flow. they go out to dec 9th, so still 2 weeks away from crimbo (i refuse to honour that dreadful season by calling it by its proper name lol) . IF there was going to be something cold/freezing/white over crimbo (a decent spell lasting longer then 48 hours) then something should be starting to show soon.

but like i posted earlier, no one knows how long this regime will last. it might last 3 days or 3 months. and when it breaks will it be a decisive change, or just a blip before it returns (quite common with westerly regimes).

Posted

White Christmas anybody?

The esteemed Mr Ferguson advices that the latest GLOSEA has - temp anomalies across most of NW Europe the week commencing 21st December.

No body tell the Express.

• Like 2