Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather news from Greece

Steeve88

Posted

47C forecasted for Elefsina from ECMWF

I remind you that Elefsina in West Athens is the current official European record holder from the WMO with 48C in 1977...

https://wmo.asu.edu/content/europe-highest-temperature

image.thumb.png.0fff4fbfd47e0dcc9344922cfd2f2675.png

Edited by Athens Heat

Posted

My in-laws went to a small town near Lindos, Rhodes and came back Thursday. They normally love the heat and will sit out in any sunshine but even they said it was too hot at times. Just looked on the weather station local to where they stayed and it was 37c yesterday and is already 30c at 8am so its going to be another hot day.

Stay safe Athens Heat.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, lottiekent said:

My in-laws went to a small town near Lindos, Rhodes and came back Thursday. They normally love the heat and will sit out in any sunshine but even they said it was too hot at times. Just looked on the weather station local to where they stayed and it was 37c yesterday and is already 30c at 8am so its going to be another hot day.

Stay safe Athens Heat.

Lindos is an oven during the summer.

The good thing with Lindos is that EVERYWHERE you go there are ACs. This makes it bearable

Ts soared to 40.5C yesterday in Kranidi NOA met station

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
4 hours ago, Athens Heat said:

47C forecasted for Elefsina from ECMWF

I remind you that Elefsina in West Athens is the current official European record holder from the WMO with 48C in 1977...

https://wmo.asu.edu/content/europe-highest-temperature

image.thumb.png.0fff4fbfd47e0dcc9344922cfd2f2675.png

They’re welcome to it. To go on holiday and have to sit in an air con  all the time really defeats imho going on holiday 🤣

Posted
1 minute ago, ANYWEATHER said:

They’re welcome to it. To go on holiday and have to sit in an air con  all the time really defeats imho going on holiday 🤣

I mean you still have the nights. But even these are dreadful in Athens with Ts barely dropping below 30C early in the morning during heatwaves.

Posted
1 minute ago, Athens Heat said:

I mean you still have the nights. But even these are dreadful in Athens with Ts barely dropping below 30C early in the morning during heatwaves.

Yes must be awful . Good job there is air conditioning at night so you can sleep 💤 

Posted
39 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Yes must be awful . Good job there is air conditioning at night so you can sleep 💤 

Yeah like that's how I slept last night. 

There is nothing else you can do in Athens. In the big 1987 heatwave we had more than 1000 people dead in Athens when ACs were not very common. The next year ACs were everywhere. In 1988 a second heatwave of same intensity hit Athens but we had practically zero victims...

ACs can be life saving when u deal with brutal heat.

Edited by Athens Heat
  • Like 2

Posted

Confirmation that recently almost all of the National Observatory of Athens stations have received a WMO id

https://oscar.wmo.int/surface/#/search/station/stationReportDetails/0-300-1-athens

https://community.wmo.int/en/activity-areas/WIGOS/implementation-WIGOS/WIGOS-station-identifier

To find details for each station click on the map at the right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Looking   bloody hot I’m in Greece from Wednesday morning 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

In Greece at the moment (the north, not far from Thessaloniki).

From Friday until Tuesday inclusive it was very nice indeed, sunny with good visibility, low humidity and a breeze. Would guess the local maxima were around 31-32C; here it's typically 3C lower than Thessaloniki.

Since Wednesday it's been a bit silly-hot, as I'd been anticipating. Today seems to be the peak with 40C forecast at Thessaloniki (so 37C here I presume, equalling the temps of 10 August 2003 in the UK) but according to the BBC forecast, temps drop from tomorrow and then we get a 5-day cooler interlude (34 or 35C at Thessaloniki, 31 or 32 here presumably, so similar to earlier in the week) despite somewhat alarming-looking uppers on the GFS.

Seems to be another heatwave in a week's time but slightly lesser, then chance of rain early the following week, which accords with some suggestions of lower uppers on some GFS runs.

These days are rather uncomfortable but on the whole I'm glad I'm not in the UK. Prefer 32C maxima and low humidity (the typical conditions, hopefully) to endless dull, wet weather with temps struggling to top 20, which seems to be July 2023 back in southern England.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

In Greece at the moment (the north, not far from Thessaloniki).

From Friday until Tuesday inclusive it was very nice indeed, sunny with good visibility, low humidity and a breeze. Would guess the local maxima were around 31-32C; here it's typically 3C lower than Thessaloniki.

Since Wednesday it's been a bit silly-hot, as I'd been anticipating. Today seems to be the peak with 40C forecast at Thessaloniki (so 37C here I presume, equalling the temps of 10 August 2003 in the UK) but according to the BBC forecast, temps drop from tomorrow and then we get a 5-day cooler interlude (34 or 35C at Thessaloniki, 31 or 32 here presumably, so similar to earlier in the week) despite somewhat alarming-looking uppers on the GFS.

Seems to be another heatwave in a week's time but slightly lesser, then chance of rain early the following week, which accords with some suggestions of lower uppers on some GFS runs.

These days are rather uncomfortable but on the whole I'm glad I'm not in the UK. Prefer 32C maxima and low humidity (the typical conditions, hopefully) to endless dull, wet weather with temps struggling to top 20, which seems to be July 2023 back in southern England.

I would imagine in those bible lands things were even hotter back then. Shame we don’t have reliable weather from back then. I mean it must have been hot for the Red Sea to dry up!🤣

Posted

15 c and rain here going to be a shock to the system come Tuesday in Lefkada

Posted

Its the first time in many years that Elefsina is forecasted to reach 48C on Sunday according to ECMWF model ...

https://web.archive.org/web/20230716125453/https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-443800/Greece/Attica/Attica/Limáni Elefsínas

I remind everyone that Elefsina is the current WMO Europe record holder

Posted

For Greece below a list of all the WMO stations where you can check weather conditions live. The next 10 days will be particularly hot

https://www.meteo.gr/observationsFull.cfm    (NOA)

http://www.emy.gr/emy/en/observation/sa_paratiriseis_stathmon?perifereia=Attiki (HNMS)

A total of over 500 stations

Edited by Athens Heat
  • Like 1

Posted

Max temperatures on lefkada yesterday was around 35 /37c nothing that I wouldn’t of expected for Greece ,anyway I’ve hired a boat so time for fun in the sun ,lol😀

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Some improvement from next Friday perhaps according to the BBC:

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.COM

14-day weather forecast for Thess
aloníki.

I'm encouraged by the lower (relatively-speaking) night-time temps in particular as they suggest fresher and drier air with lower uppers.

Then again, they said originally the current heatwave would be over by Sunday so who knows.

I expect hot weather here (I am in Greece now) but more like low-30s than pushing 40! I was here last summer and the weather was very much more moderate; I guess summer 2022 here was close to average and this is the first time I'm experiencing a summer which is hotter than normal.

Meanwhile, back home the rest of the month is forecast to be shockingly cool, dull and damp. One way or another, July 2023 will be a month much of Europe will wish to quickly forget, I suspect.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

It might have all burned to a crisp by then...

Edited by matty40s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Copernicus Active fires and burnt areas mapping with Hellenic Nat. Met. Service forecast for #Rhodes today (37C). Intense heat continues around Greece today and very warm waters in the Mediterranean #Wildfires    TUI update on twitter

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by Jo Farrow
TUI