Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

More cloud than blue sky.now, although the sun still pops through from time to time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Just taken bubs to rainbows, that sun is quite strong. (gone in now):closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well today was cack, an hour or so of sunshine before this stratus rolled in and it has been mainly overcast ever since.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

So the latest GFS gets ride of those cold uppers that were showing previously, for next week. Thank god..!

Some members over on the MOD thread are crying and screaming downgrade... Er why?? 

Its mid April, why on earth are folk still hoping and wishing for cold and snow? I know it's 'each to their own' but I will never get it.. 

For me it's like wishing for heat and sun in January = Pointless!! 

Edited by Ben Lewis

Posted
1 minute ago, Ben Lewis said:

So the latest GFS gets ride of those cold uppers that were showing previously, for next week. Thank god..!

Some members over on the MOD thread are crying and screaming downgrade... Er why?? 

Its mid April, why on earth are folk still hoping and wishing for cold and snow? I know it's 'each to their own' but I will never get it.. 

For me it's like wishing for heat and sun in January = Pointless!! 

Sounds like an upgrade to me.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
46 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Well today was cack, an hour or so of sunshine before this stratus rolled in and it has been mainly overcast ever since.

Yes, annoying pointless cloud is one of the UK's specialties unfortunately! Hopefully a sunnier day tomorrow.

Cold this time of year is A) dangerous for farmers and gardeners and B) highly economicly expensive 

While I'm all for enjoy the weather that gets you going there is a time of year for that weather.

Just like some hate heat and storms it's my favourite type of weather, I have to wait till end summer to get that.

Again though, heat and storms can cause damage too but in this country not near as much as cold does at the wrong time of year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Instead of waiting for the cloud to arrive, this morning we can look forward to the sun arriving as the bank of cloud continues its journey south! :) It's just cleared here and its now wall-to-wall blue sky. At least the cloud kept the overnight temp up - only got down to 8C.

Cloud Tues19April 07.45.jpg

I was looking forward to a tiny, small, mini, micro warm snap this Weds & Thurs, but subtle changes have downgraded expectations from a few days ago. The +10C 850 isotherm was going to reach the North coast of France and wind direction be SE'ly, but the warm air is held further south and it's now looking like a stiff E'ly breeze off the cold North Sea. GFS has downgraded max temps from 17C widely to 14C in a few lucky locations. And the miserable Look East forecast on the Beeb this morning was showing a max of 10C for both days!!! Surely that's too low?

Posted

Sun shining gently warm in central London lovely. No one has a handle on the not wanted cold snap yet. One thing I will say it is going to be a shock to the system as the wind direction for a time shows direct northerly. But I agree @surrey I llove storms and heat and cold weather in the cold tomes of year. I think summer could b an interesting experience one. I have already had 2 thunderstorm with fork cg cc lightening. The storms seem to be more ferocious .....

Posted

Was expecting it to be, well, chilly *puts on coat*  then *wishes hadn't*

Could of been wearing a vest top and felt fine, that sun is very warm, and the bedford breeze pleasant.

Posted

Been lovely all day here, just a bit of fair weather cloud rolling through from time to time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Lovely day here after the cloud moved on later this morning. Warm sunshine and nearly clear skies with light winds. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Not too bad today, lots of sunshine, a little fair weather cloud and just a light easterly breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Yet another beautiful but frosty start with white lawns and roofs after an overnight min of 0.1C.

Today likely to be the best day of the week with lots of sunshine to enjoy. The only moderating influence on the enjoyment will be the slowly increasing wind from an E'ly direction off a cold sea, so moderating temps. As the Arpege charts below show, the further you are from the coast, the better. Looking particularly breezy for Kent and along the South Coast later.

Temp 16.00 Arpege Temp Wed20April 16.00.png Wind Dir & Gusts 16.00 Arpege Max Gust Wed20April 16.00.png

• Like 1

Posted

Beautiful day. I'm still not clear about the next few days in terms of how cold things are going to get and if there is a frost/snow risk. I have a flowerbed but I live in a flat so have no greenhouse...really don't know what to do with my young plants which are currently outside and under plastic. 

My Dad always says there's no frost after 6th May...not sure how accurate that is!

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon All,

Its lovely day here in Central London, St James Park is packed full of office workers having lunch in the warm sunshine, which is making the work of the arborists in the park, somewhat interesting.

I guess the park will be pretty empty tomorrow!

Cheers

FC

Edited by frozencanals
  • Like 1

Posted

Lovely sunny day but cold in the shade, and that wind is brrrr. It's also stronger than I thought, blew me back earlier, that normally takes a good 50mph gust. Not sure if it was or not mind.

Posted

We had a frost here to start, but apart from a few tufts of cloud it has been gloriously sunny. Temperatures hit the mid-teens here and the wind hasn't been too strong.

Posted

I actually took my cardie off going to collect bubs today, people were in vest tops since this morning although I refuse to part from my jumper at 8:30am. But it's crazy that I actually felt warm enough to just wear jeans and a t-shirt, crazy I say!

Any weather that is a nightmare to dress for I hate and at the moment, warm or not, I'm hating this warm-cold-back to warmth. It's not doing my wardrobe any favours. 

• Like 1

Posted

Gorgeous day today! Sat all afternoon in the garden in shorts and tshirt and didn't feel at all cold, despite the wind and the temperature not rising above 15C. In fact, I'm a bit 'sun kissed'. Shame the cold rubbish arrives on Fri, boo. 

• Like 1