Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Good Afternoon all, thought I would check in for a change as have a quiet day. Been a quiet and unspectacular summer, aside from 3 weeks in Murcia, and Autumn not exactly going full hairdryer as yet. This is a typical daily picture when out with dug.

14711324_10154061380180829_2087394525885236407_o.jpg

As Snowidea posted earlier, Independence day was being filmed in Grangemouth. :)

14657365_10154061379105829_6116585655470160161_n.jpg

Spent last week down the east coast (Skegvegas) Weather was crap, heavy showers just kept rolling in, so left early. We did get a few nice interludes

14633661_10154027027610829_4272400094360785741_o.jpg

Well here is hoping we get a few nights like this for winter, maybe get to see the Northern lights again.

14560092_10154014117475829_7995836576263644426_o.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Hi LS congratulations on all the academics haven't been on the thread since last winter to come in and find yourself posting is a sure sign winters coming,  that and I've just fitted a full set of Nokian Weatherproofs.

• Like 2

Posted

Congratulations too LS  Been a very nice few autumn days with a bit of ground frost in the mornings but absolutely no wind  can almost hear a pin drop it is so quiet. Really strange after the very windy spells of the last few years but fantastic for newly calved cows. We are two thirds through with most recent being a second set of twins.Still hand feeding one but the other is on mum  today hooray!!

3c this morning but misty and 7c just now. It does feel as though something is brewing, no wind with the snow in 2010 either.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Coldest morning yet here, thermometer reading minus 1 and cars very white. Even the stars look colder lol - or maybe I just got up too early!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

That's Russian snow Catch, that Mondeo obv has communist leanings :D Sudden thick mist up here now - SS Soutra might be misty as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Lovely bright, calm sunny morning with hardly a cloud in the sky here. Not sure what the min was overnight as I've been forgetting to reset my weather station but it was 1.2C when I left the house and the car windscreen had a thin sheen of ice on it.

Posted

Hi people, hope you are all well. Thought the coldest start of the autumn was an appropriate time to return

Was reading -6c this morning when leaving the house. Frosts have been a bit more numerous than the average since around mid-September. The reward though was the great spell of clear weather and sunshine which graced us over the last few weeks, much better than the traditional wind and rain you'd maybe expect. Most notable piece of weather I guess was the August 11th hard frost for the area with an overnight -3.2c, quite the summer novelty. 

Working near Beauly today and it's lovely blue skies and 1c, with back home still below at -2c. Crackin day for October  

Posted

Yes frosty start here too but great sunrise . Did  a bit in the garden this afternoon  and watched the calves lying flat out on their sides sunning themselves like it was summer.

Posted
13 hours ago, Cheggers said:

Huge Aurora forecast tonight, but seems the North East corner is the only clear spot at present. 

Wasn't clear here last night. I got the alert and had a look outside but a sheen of high cloud, especially to the North, was obscuring the stars.

Mild start to today, clear and sunny with what looks like a southerly breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
On 25 October 2016 at 10:38, Northern Strath said:

Hi people, hope you are all well. Thought the coldest start of the autumn was an appropriate time to return

Was reading -6c this morning when leaving the house. Frosts have been a bit more numerous than the average since around mid-September. The reward though was the great spell of clear weather and sunshine which graced us over the last few weeks, much better than the traditional wind and rain you'd maybe expect. Most notable piece of weather I guess was the August 11th hard frost for the area with an overnight -3.2c, quite the summer novelty. 

Working near Beauly today and it's lovely blue skies and 1c, with back home still below at -2c. Crackin day for October  

-6c is crazy low. Can't imagine getting those temperatures so early on.

Just shows the variety, i suppose my summer temperatures being so sheltered, near sea level and in the south of the country will seem a bit high to you haha.

Anyway, we are at that stage where things become interesting. September (unless unusually warm) to October is rather boring. 11-17c usually by day. Maybe wet, maybe dry who cares.

You'd think we're heading for 1963 going by the MOD thread. Sensationalist as always.

However, things do look very unusual and perhaps some of us will see snow within 3 or so week. Particularly you NS.

I do hope we get a cracker of a winter but i'd take an average to cold one. A few days of snow lying would be nice.

Who knows what is coming.

Was down in Cornwall over the weekend just gone, St Ives is where i took this photo (hopefully visible)

Seeing palm trees and the car reading 15c was bizarre in late October! 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Hey SW, looks nice down there. For great random palm tree spotting head to Plockton on the west coast, beautiful wee place

It was reading 15 degrees above yesterday's temperature first thing this morning, so a more autumnal look with the wind blowing leaves everywhere and some squally showers around

Have not ventured in to the Model thread but speaking to people up here there is a lot of talk that we're in for a cold winter, but thats generally what people say every autumn!

The deer are coming more and more in to the garden which is usually a sign that winter conditions are close, but when.. who knows indeed

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Hey SW, looks nice down there. For great random palm tree spotting head to Plockton on the west coast, beautiful wee place

It was reading 15 degrees above yesterday's temperature first thing this morning, so a more autumnal look with the wind blowing leaves everywhere and some squally showers around

Have not ventured in to the Model thread but speaking to people up here there is a lot of talk that we're in for a cold winter, but thats generally what people say every autumn!

The deer are coming more and more in to the garden which is usually a sign that winter conditions are close, but when.. who knows indeed

It was! 

I'm back now to my rather eerily quiet home. Very strange for 'autumn' to be so quiet and non-descript.

Agreed, there is always hype! 

I'm hopeful of at least some snow this year, i am not expecting December 2010 but we can hope...

I'd argue wildlife is reactive but you never know. 

After this balmy weekend coming i do think it will be cooler once we hit November. Whether we go straight to 'cold' remains to be seen.

You could certainly see some snow, for me and others at lower levels then i think it is another 3 weeks away as a minimum.

Tbh, watching the excitement in the MOD is half the fun!

Posted
10 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

It was! 

I'm back now to my rather eerily quiet home. Very strange for 'autumn' to be so quiet and non-descript.

Agreed, there is always hype! 

I'm hopeful of at least some snow this year, i am not expecting December 2010 but we can hope...

I'd argue wildlife is reactive but you never know. 

After this balmy weekend coming i do think it will be cooler once we hit November. Whether we go straight to 'cold' remains to be seen.

You could certainly see some snow, for me and others at lower levels then i think it is another 3 weeks away as a minimum.

Tbh, watching the excitement in the MOD is half the fun!

To add to the wildlife theme we are getting presents of lots of  mice  and rats all dead every night at the back door from the farm cats,they must be coming in from the fields looking for a winter home in the staeding in spite of the very dry weather.Perhaps they sense something too as its usually after the first wet spell of the autumn that this happens.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

To add to the wildlife theme we are getting presents of lots of  mice  and rats all dead every night at the back door from the farm cats,they must be coming in from the fields looking for a winter home in the staeding in spite of the very dry weather.Perhaps they sense something too as its usually after the first wet spell of the autumn that this happens.

So nice of them! :p

Well all the horses are still out here which is getting quite late. Shows how dry it has been really as we have usually hit quagmire stage by now! 

• Like 2

Posted

Fine breezy day making the soil surface even dustier. Great weather for toilet training new pup 20161026 (2).jpg

Second helping of October strawberries from cold frame.20161026.jpgHad  autumn fruiting plant for  a few years now and have never seen so many berries 

• Like 9

Posted

Evening all,

Much milder here today, hit 15.3c at Leuchars this afternoon. After September being 2c above average, October is running just +0.4c above average (Leuchars figures).

Nice dog NL!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
9 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Was down in Cornwall over the weekend just gone, St Ives is where i took this photo (hopefully visible)

Seeing palm trees and the car reading 15c was bizarre in late October! 

image.jpeg

Ahhh St Ives is my home town. I was born there and lived there until I was 23 when I moved to Hayle as I couldn't afford to buy a house in St Ives.

I only moved to Scotland eight years ago and it's why I get so excited about snow as it's as rare as hens teeth in Cornwall. My mum lives there still and has the best view ever.

This was taken from her flat window.

FB_IMG_1477512721932.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, snowidea said:

Ahhh St Ives is my home town. I was born there and lived there until I was 23 when I moved to Hayle as I couldn't afford to buy a house in St Ives.

I only moved to Scotland eight years ago and it's why I get so excited about snow as it's as rare as hens teeth in Cornwall. My mum lives there still and has the best view ever.

This was taken from her flat window.

FB_IMG_1477512721932.jpg

Oh cool!

I saw how close Hayle was. Lovely sandy beaches, unfortunately it was a whistle-stop visit. 

Everything is so near everything down there! The A30 connects most places.

Did it ever snow? 

I can imagine! We were talking about how extortionate it must be to live there when we were driving through.

Amazing view! 

Why did you move way up to Falkirk?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
8 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Did it ever snow? 

I can imagine! We were talking about how extortionate it must be to live there when we were driving through.

Amazing view! 

Why did you move way up to Falkirk?

We did have a bit of snow occasionally, possibly once every 3 to 4 years but it never lasted long. The whole County would grind to a halt if a couple of centimetres fell, the last place we lived was in Truro, we were halfway up a hill and I remember sitting in my front room watching cars try (and fail) to get up the hill as nothing had been gritted.

My OH is Scottish and we had a chance to have a paid relocation to Scotland for his job so just decided to give it a bash. We also had a toddler and another on the way and I think my OH was worried about having kids with Cornish accents ha ha ha.

I miss Cornwall but I love Scotland.

Edited by snowidea
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, snowidea said:

We did have a bit of snow occasionally, possibly once every 3 to 4 years but it never lasted long. The whole County would grind to a halt if a couple of centimetres fell, the last place we lived was in Truro, we were halfway up a hill and I remember sitting in my front room watching cars try (and fail) to get up the hill as nothing had been gritted.

My OH is Scottish and we had a chance to have a paid relocation to Scotland for his job so just decided to give it a bash. We also had a toddler and another on the way and I think my OH was worried about having kids with Cornish accents ha ha ha.

I miss Cornwall but I love Scotland.

Ahhh ok. I see.

Doesn't sound that dissimilar to here! 

My step-dad stays quite often in Lanark and they have far more snow but way less problems. Always gritted and cleared whereas that never happens here.

Only the main roads are gritted so being 4/5 miles out of town is a disaster. Although i loved it as it meant days pff school when i was younger! 

Makes sense.

Haha, i prefer the devon/somerset accent to Cornish i must say :p

Quite a community feel down there, i certainly felt like i was an outsider (stayed at the Premier Inn near Faddon, had a great meal at the local pub etc).

Truro was far more normal, more people my age for a start

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Fine breezy day making the soil surface even dustier. Great weather for toilet training new pup 20161026 (2).jpg

Only quoting that cos you can never have enough cute puppy pictures. Spaniel I assume? Cocker or Springer? Our Lab is 12 now and really slowed down, with a dodgy back leg. If we ever get another dog in the future I'd quite like a Springer Spaniel.

Weather....mild(ish), cloudy with a bit of a breeze this morning. Yesterday was mixed, quite a bit of sun but also clouding over on occasions, definitely on the mild side though with temps between 13 and 16C most of the afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted

Feeling quite chilly when dog walking this morning, but there was a spectacular sunrise.  Overall a grey day, and not feeling particularly pleasant in a blustery breeze from the west, High this afternoon of 15C, but beginning temp to drop.

sunrise_1.jpg

Edited by ciel
  • Like 4

Posted
9 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Only quoting that cos you can never have enough cute puppy pictures. Spaniel I assume? Cocker or Springer? Our Lab is 12 now and really slowed down, with a dodgy back leg. If we ever get another dog in the future I'd quite like a Springer Spaniel.

Weather....mild(ish), cloudy with a bit of a breeze this morning. Yesterday was mixed, quite a bit of sun but also clouding over on occasions, definitely on the mild side though with temps between 13 and 16C most of the afternoon.

Funny that. 

One of ours is getting put to sleep tomorrow. A springer.

We're thinking we'll get a lab for a change. Lab, 3 springers and a collie will be a crazy bunch.

I'll actually cry when my dog (the collie - was my avatar on this forum for ages) gets too old. 

Dreich day, occasionally wet. Chilly feel too