Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

I'll actually cry when my dog (the collie - was my avatar on this forum for ages) gets too old

When our last dog was put to sleep the wife and I drank a bottle and a half of Brandy between us that night. The next morning were we both still sad, as well as extremely hungover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
36 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

When our last dog was put to sleep the wife and I drank a bottle and a half of Brandy between us that night. The next morning were we both still sad, as well as extremely hungover.

A VERY poor choice hahaha.

A bold, ambitious call. I can see why you made it. 

Drowning your sorrows, in my experience, ends incredibly badly but you just have to do it

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
On 10/26/2016 at 13:58, SW Saltire said:

I'd argue wildlife is reactive but you never know. 

What if it is reacting to signals we can't sense?

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, skifreak said:

What if it is reacting to signals we can't sense?

Such as?

Posted
4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Ninja geese?

I would be sceptical if they can manage a long term forecast but I'm open to the suggestion they can sense changes in pressure over time and maybe get 6-12 hours warning of a storm coming for example. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong and that wildlife can forecast months ahead :) 

6-12 hours is not the timeframe we're talking about here (as you know) thus i agree with you.

I'm not saying 'no' as i doubt peer reviewed studies are plentiful on this subject but i would think it to be 'highly unlikely' that wildlife know what i coming and don't just react to it.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Right then, time tae venture back in an see whit's gaun oan!

There appears tae be much excitement in the MT aboot a first pending cauld snap/spell as early as next mid week and how much Nothern Blocking there is this Autumn.

Ahm sure some of oor very learned Scottish members can bring us A' up tae speed eh!

Big Innes

Posted
8 hours ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Right then, time tae venture back in an see whit's gaun oan!

There appears tae be much excitement in the MT aboot a first pending cauld snap/spell as early as next mid week and how much Nothern Blocking there is this Autumn.

Ahm sure some of oor very learned Scottish members can bring us A' up tae speed eh!

Big Innes

I'm not sure about 'learned' but to sum up. . . 

Aw man, the models have just been pure mental. Naebody has a scoobi how Winter's gonna pan out but it's fair looking promising for a cauld wan. 

Ehm, starting next week it looks as if we'll get a succession of winds coming in from the N, NW or NE. It'll probably feel chilly but I'd hazard a guess it'll not be chilly enough for any snow away from high ground. Upper air temperatures just don't look cold enough for that and it is quite early even for Scotland , to see low level snow. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
41 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

I'm not sure about 'learned' but to sum up. . . 

Aw man, the models have just been pure mental. Naebody has a scoobi how Winter's gonna pan out but it's fair looking promising for a cauld wan. 

Ehm, starting next week it looks as if we'll get a succession of winds coming in from the N, NW or NE. It'll probably feel chilly but I'd hazard a guess it'll not be chilly enough for any snow away from high ground. Upper air temperatures just don't look cold enough for that and it is quite early even for Scotland , to see low level snow. 

Cheers Rav

Ah see you posting in the mad hoose, keep up the good work in here!

Big Innes

Posted

Stunning late October day here in Broughty Ferry, feels warm in the sun. I see some 14/15c readings in eastern Scotland, not too shabby!

Posted

Bonnie day today so far. Paper have quoted the local Met Office & say:

A Met Office spokeswoman in Aberdeen confirmed the weather ahead.

She said: “We’re fairly happy and content to say that we won’t see such a wet and stormy winter as last time.

“As we look through next week we will see the temperature going downwards with an increased risk of frost and snow starting to fall over the mountains.

“The early indications for December show that the wind will come from the north and east more.

“The information we get at the moment is that winds from the north and east will bring incidents of below average temperatures and a rising risk of frost.”

Hopefully not the storm fest we all had to endure last year.

• Like 4

Posted

Fine autumn day with new calves lying in the sun flat out. Did a bit of digging in garden where soil was coming up powder dry seems the seasons are still running 2 months behind. A maximum temperature of 14c . It seems it may get a bit cooler next week.Young Mr. Northernlights was asking how long we could keep the cows and calves outside if it stays dry and I said wind and rain is what usually makes us take them in even snow and frost does not do the same harm as wind and rain.

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely sunny day here too. Gave the grass a 'tidy up' cut, which will hopefully be the last until the Spring, unless we get another horrendously mild winter. Wife's bees got a quick check over and they seem fine and happy, still bringing in pollen which is a good sigh I'm led to believe. They are pretty much battened down for winter now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Could be time to get the Highland mountain goat fancy dress out - not convinced anyone but a full-time Munro-bagger will see snow any time soon.

What's up with the ash trees this autumn? They're usually the first to drop their leaves, yet the ones around here still have full sets of healthy green leaves, while most other trees are losing theirs rapidly now. Very odd.  The world's a-turning upside-down, he muttered darkly.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Hopefully will catch a glimpse of some white stuff this week up on the highest peaks, Currently on a coffee break at Loch Lomond on rought to Strontian, Temp 14c..

20161030_115555_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Polar Maritime said:

Hopefully will catch a glimpse of some white stuff this week up on the highest peaks, Currently on a coffee break at Loch Lomond on rought to Strontian, Temp 14c..

20161030_115555_Richtone(HDR).jpg

You could have got out the car, PM!!  Similar sky here, anyway, so you've saved me the bother of describing variations of greyness...

• Like 1

Posted

Arrived in Fort William for a stroll down Glen Nevis, Still grey but with some breaks in the cloud.. The Autumn colours looking grand as ever up here.

• Like 1

Posted

Another fine day more newly born calves out,a  bit of garden dug ,some plants shifted and a couple of loads of neeps lifted for the inside  cattle to check machine OK. Really into winter routine now..Top temperature of 14.5c with no wind and a sunny afternoon.Tree colours  stunning here too.

• Like 4

Posted

A stunning day in Highland Perthshire.  Milky sunshine for the late morning  and also during the afternoon with highs of 16C  Hardly a breath of wind. I had to peel off a couple of layers on a  walk around part of Loch Freuchie.

Freuchie 01.jpg

After leaving Glen Quaich and before dropping down to Kenmore, still great autumn weather.

HP 01 GQ.jpg

How I dread winter - the old Shogun is getting its winter tyres this week.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Just to jinx this early on.

Outlook for the UK over the next 6-30 days

UK Outlook for Friday 4 Nov 2016 to Sunday 13 Nov 2016:

On Friday the expectation is for rain in the south of the country to clear slowly southwards, leaving sunshine and blustery showers across the whole of the UK. Temperatures will mostly be colder than average, with some snow over Scottish mountains. Thereafter, there is large degree of uncertainty regarding details, but this general theme looks set to continue from Saturday, with winds mainly from the north, and showers or bands of rain running into the country. Temperatures will likely stay on the cool side, with frosts increasingly likely overnight and occasional snowfall over high ground in the north of the UK. Periods of milder weather are possible, but the expectation is that any of these will be brief, with the colder theme being predominant.

Updated at: 1147 on Sun 30 Oct 2016

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Well I'm back for one. A newish old face. With more wrinkles than I had last winter :sorry:

• Like 9

Posted

A Grey drizzly morning here in Fort William, Cooler air expected to flutter in behind the front from the North later. Off to Aviemore/Caingorms today for a ride out.

Posted

Wet here this morning but mild, with temps around 10C when I glanced at the weather station whilst trying to rush myself and the youngest out the door.

Will I see some wet snow on the tops of the hills to our West this week? Being relatively low, topping out at 450-500m, it might be pushing it a little but at this stage Sunday/Monday looks cool enough for it to be a possibility. In weather terms that's a long way off though.

Posted

Looks like Halloween is going to be a rather wet affair for the kids up this way this evening.