Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

It's one thing not to want heat, but to want unrelenting low pressure and frontal systems? That's not very good for anyone.

I'd much prefer that to heat. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
20 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Another one here who is relieved at the output, looking possible we will get through the summer without a prolonged spell of unnecessary heat.

Agree. Liking the model output at the moment. :)

Edited by simshady
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
18 minutes ago, Nick L said:

'Unnecessary' heat. We've had about 2 days of heat this summer, and it is summer after all. You have 4 months of cold, wet rubbish from Nov-Feb to look forward to. 

Why not enjoy a typical August, with comfortably warm but not hot days around 22-25c? Who wants chilly 20c days with rain and wind? A complete waste of the summer in my opinion.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
17 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I will probably never understand why anyone would choose cold or wind and rain.I can understand some not liking it hot but what is wrong with warm and sunshine,it could be 17 deg and sunny so long as there was no northerly breeze,22 is lovely but wind and rain ???  We have that 11 months of the year !!

Edited by hillbilly
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
27 minutes ago, B87 said:

August looks like an absolute horror show. It hasn't even started yet but I can comfortably say it'll be yet another cooler and duller than average month.

Monday 1st certainly looks an absolute washout for Midlands, timed for day again, not the night

Posted
4 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

I will probably never understand why anyone would choose cold or wind and rain.I can understand some not liking it hot but what is wrong with warm and sunshine,it could be 17 deg and sunny so long as there was no northerly breeze,22 is lovely but wind and rain ???  We have that 11 months of the year !!

You've completely taken my post out of context.

I said I would prefer wet and windy over hot weather. My ideal summer weather is sunny and 18-25c, don't need it any warmer than that, as long as it's comfortable to sit outside. Please read my posts before getting ranty!

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

I said I would prefer wet and windy over hot weather. My ideal summer weather is sunny and 18-25c, don't need it any warmer than that, as long as it's comfortable to sit outside. Please read my posts before getting ranty!

Probably because you get so much more hot weather  in the south than here in the pennines.I guess you are 4 degrees warmer all year and have far more sunshine than here where we are dogged with cloud and have far more rain .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Seriously, we've had an abundance of cool, crap summers in recent years. If we did get a hot August and people started moaning about it because for once we are not being bombarded by Atlantic dross then I'd say 'suck it up'. Heat lovers deserve it.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

Seriously, we've had an abundance of cool, crap summers in recent years. If we did get a hot August and people started moaning about it because for once we are not being bombarded by Atlantic dross then I'd say 'suck it up'. Heat lovers deserve it.

Never understood this concept of "deserving" weather, it's not as if anyone's actually done anything to warrant whatever weather they've got.

I don't like wet and windy weather, but at least I can sleep during it.

• Like 4

Posted

getting like winter now, high pressure near the UK is becoming non existant, just got to make most of dry spells between systems, one timed for tomorrow and Sunday, and will feel like summer if the sun's out at 20°

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Never understood this concept of "deserving" weather, it's not as if anyone's actually done anything to warrant whatever weather they've got.

I can't unless window shut, rain makes pollen allergy way worse, I'm fine when it's dry and hot, but sadly those days becoming rare

Posted

July has been very dry here (6.4mm) and may well become the driest month I've recorded. The mean temps is about average (and mean maxima average to a touch above). Sunshine, not really sure yet but probably a little below average.

So not the worst for summery or pleasant/usable conditions, but I will say it has on the whole been rather boring.

2 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

What's interesting is the fact we haven't had any particularly sunny and hot Summer months this decade so far and we have to go back to July 2006 for the most recent one. Of course we can't for sure write off August just yet despite the poor outlook, and there's still Summer's 2017, 2018 and 2019 to change things. But what would be interesting (though it's only hypothetical for now) is if next month as well as the next 3 Summer's fail to produce any particularly sunny and hot months it would make the 2010's the first decade since the 1960's to not do so. Not that I want this to happen mind, but it would be interesting nonetheless. Though in all honestly I think the law of averages alone should give us a decent Summer before this decade's out. Even if not surely the 2020's should provide one.

I'd say July 2013 would fall into that category for some, in fact for the UK average it was the 3rd warmest since 1910 based on both mean temperature and mean maxima: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/actualmonthly/7/Tmax/UK.gif and since 1929 for sunshine: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/actualmonthly/7/Sunshine/UK.gif
Similar picture for England (2nd sunniest instead). 

For summer, 2013 was definitely decent (even if not exceptional), as was summer 2014 here.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

CohvlgLUEAA2pmT.jpg

If we start to get a GLAMM or amplified MJO response then you can just about wave goodbye. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Personally i'm with you. I like sunshine and don't mind heat but prefer it early (May-July). 

Since August has arrived (though frankly the last two days would not be out of place in early October) i'm ready for Autumn and want to start looking ahead to the frosts that it can bring and the winter season. 

• Like 3

Posted
35 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Personally i'm with you. I like sunshine and don't mind heat but prefer it early (May-July). 

Since August has arrived (though frankly the last two days would not be out of place in early October) i'm ready for Autumn and want to start looking ahead to the frosts that it can bring and the winter season. 

If you take into account early September [better than early june] we are only half way through summer.I for one would like to see a little more pleasant summer weather before you get your frosts,cold,snow and ice or more like the summers we have been getting you are likely to get 7 months of wind and rain a little cooler than we have been having.Just one season a year ,the wet and windy,cold one !!

Posted
2 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

If you take into account early September [better than early june] we are only half way through summer.I for one would like to see a little more pleasant summer weather before you get your frosts,cold,snow and ice or more like the summers we have been getting you are likely to get 7 months of wind and rain a little cooler than we have been having.Just one season a year ,the wet and windy,cold one !!

September may be statistically to June in maxima but it's neither as sunny nor dry in all likelyhood. Coupled with the day length, it does not feel like summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
3 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

September may be statistically to June in maxima but it's neither as sunny nor dry in all likelyhood. Coupled with the day length, it does not feel like summer.

Early September is warmer and more stable than early June. It certainly feels like late summer for the first 10 days or so.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

We get this rubbish the other 290 days of the year, I don't want any extreme heat, but nothing wrong with sunny and 21c.

Edited by Snowy L

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowy L said:

We get this rubbish the other 290 days of the year, I don't want any extreme heat, but nothing wrong with sunny and 21c.

Please, please read my posts properly. I said 18-25c and sunny spells is my ideal summer weather! Just because I don't want weeks of searing heat doesn't mean I don't want pleasant weather to sit outside in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

I can just about understand what you are saying there Nick but it had me confused for a while ;-).

Perhaps we should just accept the fact that we all have different opinions and tolerances to the weather that comes our way ?

39 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Please, please read my posts properly. I said 18-25c and sunny spells is my ideal summer weather! Just because I don't want weeks of searing heat doesn't mean I don't want pleasant weather to sit outside in.

Posted
2 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

July has been very dry here (6.4mm) and may well become the driest month I've recorded. The mean temps is about average (and mean maxima average to a touch above). Sunshine, not really sure yet but probably a little below average.

So not the worst for summery or pleasant/usable conditions, but I will say it has on the whole been rather boring.

I'd say July 2013 would fall into that category for some, in fact for the UK average it was the 3rd warmest since 1910 based on both mean temperature and mean maxima: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/actualmonthly/7/Tmax/UK.gif and since 1929 for sunshine: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/actualmonthly/7/Sunshine/UK.gif
Similar picture for England (2nd sunniest instead). 

For summer, 2013 was definitely decent (even if not exceptional), as was summer 2014 here.

Oh yeah I forgot about Summer 2013, which as you say wasn't bad. But really I mean in terms of a prolonged or intense spell of summery conditions (especially heat wise) which hasn't been experienced since July 2006. Though of course there has been bits and bobs since then such as last week for example, which is more than we've had during some Summer's like 2007 and 2012, which already makes this Summer better than those. But this decade still has yet hasn't delivered a month in the same league as July 2006, August 2003 or August 1995. Which is more the point I was making and these cover the 90's and 00's alone. 1990 and 1991 were also I believe decent Summers. Then going back to the 80's I believe 1989, 1984 and 1983 produced good Summers. As for the 70's there was the infamous Summer of 1976. This is why I say the 2010's so far has yet to achieve a exceptional spell of Summer weather and if it fails to do so before the end of the decade (there's no way of telling this yet though) it would be the first decade since the 1960's to not do so. Then again there's still 3 Summer's left in this decade and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them did so. Fingers crossed and all that if that's what you want. Although personally I'm a little indifferent to Summer weather (though I prefer dry and sunny to cloudy and wet) and it doesn't bother me how Summers go too much. I'm much more of a Winter lover really (so long as the Winter provides very cold temperatures with plenty of settling snow that is).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Lovely start to the day,real freshness about it. August looking pretty typical,thankfully(for me) very little on offer heat wise,warmth yes which is fine but those yearning for the heatwave i'm afraid not even a glimmer on the horizon. May change but we need that little first step which just isn't there yet.

• Like 1