Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
On 26/07/2016 at 18:14, Wildswimmer Pete said:

'62 and '63 were awful but the rest of the Sixties were basically meh.  I remember '72 as being dull but not as dull as this year.  '87-88 to me were chilly and showery but not with the current all-pervading dullness.  However during the 50's. 60s. 70s, and the 80s we had four distinct seasons. It was the '90s onward when our perpetual Autumn began to take a hold.

Just a question,i may be missing something (which i more than likely am!) you say 62 and 63 where awful and meh..you were only 12 and 13 then over those 2 years and then you remember a summer when you were 22yr old. You must have a incredible memory,there is no way i could recount such details with any accuracy. Myself i really struggle to remember being 22yr old let alone the weather!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!
41 minutes ago, March said:

I don't think that's the Ashford forecast tbh. 

You don't believe me? I don't like the look of it but the details were taken from the netweather Ashford forecast just before I typed the post.

Disagree with netweather if you want ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 minutes ago, B87 said:

Though June here only had 49% of the average sunshine, and was the dullest on record, smashing the previous record set in 2012 by a long way!

I posted this on another forum, it's the average high and sun hours for each August since 2000, showing the change from average months to awful months in 2006.

2000: 23.2c / 211.4 hrs
2001: 23.5c / 210.9 hrs
2002: 23.3c / 190.4 hrs
2003: 26.4c / 255.3 hrs
2004: 23.8c / 213.3 hrs
2005: 23.2c / 250.4 hrs
2006: 22.2c / 140.2 hrs
2007: 21.5c / 192.6 hrs
2008: 21.5c / 104.3 hrs
2009: 23.9c / 167.6 hrs
2010: 21.6c / 110.9 hrs
2011: 21.8c / 144.1 hrs
2012: 23.5c / 182.6 hrs
2013: 24.3c / 198.7 hrs
2014: 21.7c / 183.6 hrs
2015: 22.2c / 134.1 hrs

All of the Augusts between 2000-2005 were what you would expect (except 2003), but from 2006 onwards it's been very difficult to get anything resembling normal.  2009 and 2012 had alright temps but were very cloudy, the only decent one there was in 2013, with highs about 1c above normal yet still cloudier than it should be.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

With a heatwave in the USA the jet stream will become more energised resulting in the wettest in the north-west for early august with the risk of gales the warmest weather will be in the south-east

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/36910510

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Just a question,i may be missing something (which i more than likely am!) you say 62 and 63 where awful and meh..you were only 12 and 13 then over those 2 years and then you remember a summer when you were 22yr old. You must have a incredible memory,there is no way i could recount such details with any accuracy. Myself i really struggle to remember being 22yr old let alone the weather!

I was brought up as a farmer and as we rely on weather to do anything it is easy to remember most years.When I was 30 I became a builder which was just as easy as I could relate weather to what jobs I had done.Only these last 5 years I work inside as an engineer and I now find it difficult to differenciate years.With having a keen interest and with this forum constantly make me look up figures and the fact I have kept a diary since I was 13 I can pretty much summerise any year since I was 13 that being since 1981 and I have a good idea what it was like since the early 70s as well as historical weather which I particularly like !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Lovely fresh start to the day,really nice apart from that cloud! So much more comfortable than this time last week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Well, although yesterday started off on a dull, grey and wet note, yesterday afternoon and evening turned very pleasant and summer like :)
But sadly it couldn't last... As now we are once again back to dull grey cloudy skies. *sigh* :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
15 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

You're not a chemtrail nut, are you?

Anyway, looks like another August 2014 setting up - so sick of this climate.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Surely it's not too much to ask for at least 1 normal August in 11 years? Average high above 23c with over 200 hrs of sun and a couple of 30c days should not be impossible!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
16 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I sure hope this was posted as a p*** take!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, B87 said:

Surely it's not too much to ask for at least 1 normal August in 11 years? Average high above 23c with over 200 hrs of sun and a couple of 30c days should not be impossible!

here we go again we have poor 10 august's out of 11. and then you equate the good augusts to that year. we have a decade of decent summers follower by a decade of poorish summers. and you just focus on the decade of good summers and take your stance from there.. You will no doubt mention the average temps and sun ammounts from the good decade and say that's the norm.

This is the UK. we may go 10 years without any outstanding summers then have  3 out of 4 years of excellent summers.. I grant you the weather as been pretty poor in recent years, but that is our climate!.

• Like 1

Posted

what annoys me is the long range forecasts! even the monthly outlook on here  looks  good. FOR NOW! it will change in the next update.. the likes of John Hammond on his outlook.. Mentions the jet stream is very active and he thinks the jet will push the lows to very tip of northern Scotland.. That's a  pretty good guess on his part. The jet is  VERY ACTIVE  from what I saw on his update.. means we will get a lot of rain in a short space of time... so pretty wet outlook.. nothing settled at all. Just play on words once more!

Posted
10 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

here we go again we have poor 10 august's out of 11. and then you equate the good augusts to that year. we have a decade of decent summers follower by a decade of poorish summers. and you just focus on the decade of good summers and take your stance from there.. You will no doubt mention the average temps and sun ammounts from the good decade and say that's the norm.

This is the UK. we may go 10 years without any outstanding summers then have  3 out of 4 years of excellent summers.. I grant you the weather as been pretty poor in recent years, but that is our climate!.

You don't get what I've been saying.  The previous decade was closer to the long term average than this decade was.  I never said that the previous decade WAS the average.

Our long term summer averages are 21.0c in June, 23.5c in July, 23.2c in August, with all months averaging over 200 hrs sun.

The Augusts we've been getting since 2006 are NOT normal British summer weather.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, B87 said:

You don't get what I've been saying.  The previous decade was closer to the long term average than this decade was.  I never said that the previous decade WAS the average.

Our long term summer averages are 21.0c in June, 23.5c in July, 23.2c in August, with all months averaging over 200 hrs sun.

The Augusts we've been getting since 2006 are NOT normal British summer weather.

I do get it.. You cherrypick the decade that's suits..I read some place (with not being alive at the time) I read the 1960s had pretty similar  weather to current summers. And yes  Augusts have been poor.. But that's because of our climate! we have poor summers. But that's weather in the UK..

Posted
Just now, weatherguru14 said:

I do get it.. You cherrypick the decade that's suits..I read some place (with not being alive at the time) I read the 1960s had pretty similar  weather to current summers. And yes  Augusts have been poor.. But that's because of our climate! we have poor summers. But that's weather in the UK..

No I don't.  I said that the average temperatures and sun hours from 1997-2006 were closer to normal than the deacde from 2007-present, which is correct.

Look at the sun averages between the 2 decades. 97-06 / 06-present/ normals

June: 214 hrs / 180 hrs / 205 hrs

July: 215 hrs / 170 hrs / 212 hrs

August: 215 hrs / 155 hrs / 205 hrs

Posted
1 minute ago, weatherguru14 said:

So we having a poor run in the last 10 years.. That's the way it is.. You can't make the weather do as you want it to.. It's not been a great summer so far.. But we've had more warm days than last year.

People are entitled to complain about the abundance of poor summers in recent years. Get over it.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

So we having a poor run in the last 10 years.. That's the way it is.. You can't make the weather do as you want it to.. It's not been a great summer so far.. But we've had more warm days than last year.

June 2015 was far superior to June 2016, and it isn't even close.  June this year was the cloudiest June ever.

July seems like it'll have similar average temps and sun to last year, but I'll take July 2016 as the warmth has been more normal, rather than 1 super hot day and the rest of the days average or below.

August remains to be seen, but August 2015 was RUBBISH.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
13 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

I don't need to read about conditions through the 1960s, I experienced them.  '62 and '63 were shockers. dull, cold and wet just like the past few "summers".  '69 was almost as bad, often wet. The early April '68 snow we had (immediately after a late March  mini-heatwave) made local headlines, nowadays wintry Aprils seem commonplace - look at this past April, snow on my birthday (21st) - it snowed on my birthday in '63 but that was after That Winter.   '65 was reputed to be dull however in my recollection was pretty average - possibly down to my memory and the Wirral where I was brought up has a distinct microclimate.  However back then we had four distinct seasons unlike the Forever Autumn we now face year after dreary year.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

I don't need to read about conditions through the 1960s, I experienced them.  '62 and '63 were shockers. dull, cold and wet just like the past few "summers".  '69 was almost as bad, often wet. The early April '68 snow we had (immediately after a late March  mini-heatwave) made local headlines, nowadays wintry Aprils seem commonplace - look at this past April, snow on my birthday (21st) - it snowed on my birthday in '63 but that was after That Winter.   '65 was reputed to be dull however in my recollection was pretty average - possibly down to my memory and the Wirral where I was brought up has a distinct microclimate.  However back then we had four distinct seasons unlike the Forever Autumn we now face year after dreary year.

Summer is the only season I really care about in the UK. If we had better summers with mild winters, I would be pretty happy. I suspect most people would as well. Having a cold winter followed by a cold summer would kind of suck, as a cold winter should give you something to look forward to - i.e warmth.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, B87 said:

June 2015 was far superior to June 2016, and it isn't even close.  June this year was the cloudiest June ever.

July seems like it'll have similar average temps and sun to last year, but I'll take July 2016 as the warmth has been more normal, rather than 1 super hot day and the rest of the days average or below.

August remains to be seen, but August 2015 was RUBBISH.

We often have different weather from the SE to NW. here in leeds last June..we havd very strong NW winds it was a dryish month. But was nowhere near warm.. The first 10 day of June and the 3rd week of June this year was good.

Posted
15 minutes ago, cheese said:

People are entitled to complain about the abundance of poor summers in recent years. Get over it.

You get over it!! I have complained about the BS that's gets spouted  from weather experts.Not the actual weather. You can't make the weather behave as you wish!!

• Like 1

Posted

People looking at raw figures are missing a very basic fact that similar stats can cover so many permutations of weather type.

Cloud has been a particular issue this year because it has been cloudy in the business part of the day: caused by persistent cold upper airmass. You can get the opposite in a warm airmass continental draw where there is cloud in the morning but burns off later to leave a nice warm beach type afternoon.

• Like 2