Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Thoughts & Hopes 2016/17

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

but not surprising for 2000+ very little snow! only dusting Thursday 12th, further dusting Fri 13th Jan, that soon thawed

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Looks like the driest December January period for England and Wales since 2005-06.

Yes not surprised, I think the most notable aspect of the winter so far, has been its dryness. We've had very few days with any appreciable rain, most 'rainy' days have seen light rain at best, wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a drier winter than 2005-2006, something on a par with winter 1991/92. Anyone have the rainfall stats. What a complete contrast to the likes of winter 13/14 and 15/16 our seasons do seem to becoming more extreme, either very wet, very dry, very mild, but mmm not very cold it seems.. Due a cold season I feel (lets hope not the summer accompanied by the return of heavy rain).

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes not surprised, I think the most notable aspect of the winter so far, has been its dryness. We've had very few days with any appreciable rain, most 'rainy' days have seen light rain at best, wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a drier winter than 2005-2006, something on a par with winter 1991/92. Anyone have the rainfall stats. What a complete contrast to the likes of winter 13/14 and 15/16 our seasons do seem to becoming more extreme, either very wet, very dry, very mild, but mmm not very cold it seems.. Due a cold season I feel (lets hope not the summer accompanied by the return of heavy rain).

1991-92: 142.8

2005-06: 161.7

• Like 1

Posted

As ones have said before: the consensus was we were overdew a dryer than average winter and here it is. Is there a chance we could beat the 91-92 record maybe? I know 64 was very dry but not sure how it relates to others.

Edited by Matthew Wilson

Posted
1 minute ago, Matthew Wilson said:

As ones have said before the consensus was we were overview a dryer than average winter and here it is. Is there a chance we could beat the 91-92 record maybe? I know 64 was very dry but not sure how it relates to others.

That 1963-64 record is safe, 88.9mm. 

I don't think we are going to beat the 1991-92. Already about 120mm by end of January. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

That 1963-64 record is safe, 88.9mm. 

I don't think we are going to beat the 1991-92. Already about 120mm by end of January. 

Thanks. The ECM forecasting a chance of mid-latitude blocking again so could there be a slim chance maybe? Just noticed the MWI and oh dear!

Edited by Matthew Wilson

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Like I have said before we are well overdue a Drought,better stock up on water for the hot summer !

Posted
Just now, hillbilly said:

Like I have said before we are well overdue a Drought,better stock up on water for the hot summer !

I am hoping for a hot summer and carefully monitoring El Niño. Starting to get a little worried about it going moderate for summer. Was hoping for a neutral -0.4-0.4 if possible.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
5 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

You can get drought conditions without a hot summer, it requires multi-year spells. We were looking at drought conditions in the east/south east in early 06 and 12 despite the summers of 05 and 11 (neither outstanding although the first half of 05 was very good). 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

A cool wet summer would be my guess.

It will be interesting how long these dryer than average months can last. If it is to be a wet cool summer spring may be very good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Still hasn't been one flake of snow IMBY, yet another absolute joke of a winter, four (although 14/15 was just crap) really really crap winters in a row now.

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

My Dad says this is the first time he's ever got this far through winter without seeing a flake of snow. Utter rubbish winter. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

My Dad says this is the first time he's ever got this far through winter without seeing a flake of snow. Utter rubbish winter. 

Were does he live Nick?

Posted

My hope is just for the next few days to come off like its being forecast now:

589c5c7889a93_ScreenShot2017-02-09at12_03_22.thumb.png.b47940c06f4dccfbe13691bcf3ac96df.png

589c5c8fa7669_ScreenShot2017-02-09at12_03_48.thumb.png.04814ce03e3a6de0f135783e8a99e514.png

589c5c993027c_ScreenShot2017-02-09at12_03_55.thumb.png.7f7f6ad696a186c4076abbd3f5122a03.png

589c5c81e2ab4_ScreenShot2017-02-09at12_03_37.thumb.png.c1d83cb099d53e010a6e817a81a0d37b.png

if it does come off with snow flurries on and off all day for over 48 hours it will definitely be the best winter weather here since early 2013.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
7 hours ago, weirpig said:

Were does he live Nick?

Norton Canes, near Brownhills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 hours ago, Nick L said:

well we saw some on evening of Thurs 12th, was sticking, still there in morning, Friday 13th was amazing morning, whiteout, have photos on here somewhere, (midlands thread)

Posted

Can't remember the last time we have experienced such a long period of benign weather, with hardly anything noteworthy to talk about. Since July the atlantic in the main has been dead, we've not had one gale, not one day of very heavy rain (classed as 1 inch +), no exceptional heat or cold, I'm finding it difficult to become enthused about the weather. Yes we've had the odd cold day, and November was quite interesting, but gosh can we just see something happen. 

This winter has been another trying one, chasing down cold weather.. already I look back on the 2008-2013 period with some nostalgia. Something will give again soon..I remember feeling like this winter 2006/2007 then we saw a sea-change with the southerly tracking jet, since summer 2013 another sea change has occured with a very northerly tracking jet (outside of the summer months!)

Edited by damianslaw