Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I’ve not looked in Mod thread yet due to fear of getting hit by a flying toy! Is it safe following fairly dismal overnight runs? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Looks like the mods have removed most of the toy throwing posts! Not a good set of runs overnight if it's a prolonged cold spell you're after.

Still worried about this late week storm as well.

Edited by wiltshire weather

Posted
41 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I’ve not looked in Mod thread yet due to fear of getting hit by a flying toy! Is it safe following fairly dismal overnight runs? 

Marlo’s, it’s safe, some fairly disconsolate folks in there today, people actually beginning to realize they have been playing with “models” and that they are purely that. The real truth seems to have hit home, with some quoting the time left for cold is running out. Aha, they’ve caught on to the fact we are in a warming globe.

Back the here and now, another Groundhog Day, overcast and currently 4.5C with a light breeze from the NE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Beaut of a sunrise today

20180114_084409.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not a pleasant morning in the mad thread, seems both the posters and the modems went out drinking last night!

It's certainly been interesting watching next week unfold but the interest wanes for me when interruptions like Wednesday's storm turn up, break up the cold and potentially change the pattern thereafter. All is not lost and hopefully future runs will revert back to what's been showing for most if the week thus far, but 'November cooled down' conditions really don't excite come mid January.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Morning everyone. Another dull day at the moment, although I believe it’s meant to brighten up later? Or did I dream that?

The excitement for next week has all but vanished in the MAD thread then, the models love to tease us don’t they! I probably say this every winter, but why do we do this to ourselves year on year? Ah well.. back to looking out the window then! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
3 minutes ago, khodds said:

Morning everyone. Another dull day at the moment, although I believe it’s meant to brighten up later? Or did I dream that?

The excitement for next week has all but vanished in the MAD thread then, the models love to tease us don’t they! I probably say this every winter, but why do we do this to ourselves year on year? Ah well.. back to looking out the window then! 

still maybe some pleasant surprises this week on offer, our regional finaly says settling snow and maybe dusting on low ground too. :)

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nights King said:

still maybe some pleasant surprises this week on offer, our regional finaly says settling snow and maybe dusting on low ground too. :)

I’m not so sure now. I’ll believe  it when I see it.

see.. the doom and gloom has rubbed off on me now!

Edited by khodds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Marlo’s, it’s safe, some fairly disconsolate folks in there today, people actually beginning to realize they have been playing with “models” and that they are purely that. The real truth seems to have hit home, with some quoting the time left for cold is running out. Aha, they’ve caught on to the fact we are in a warming globe.

Back the here and now, another Groundhog Day, overcast and currently 4.5C with a light breeze from the NE.

I disagree with this argument Dorset it is nothing to do with global warming its just the weather. Cold air is still there to tap into and mild mush is mild mush 0.9c global increase or whatever is not going to stop an arctic plunge its just our bad luck with weather patterns that is stopping that :nea:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Feeling smug. I never was taking by this "cold" spell. Saved myself some heart break this morning.

I don't know why I was suckered into this one. I'll never learn :crazy: Has it been downgraded long term or short term? Or both?

I'm just glad I got to see some heavy falling snow in December. (I don't mean for that to be salt in the wounds for those who didn't) - But I remember saying I'll be happy if I see just 2cm of snow this winter. That's how desperate it's become.

• Like 1

Posted

Some folk never learn and seem to keep being suckered in, year in, year out, by the models. All ending in a huge amount of despondency and disappointment that the 'nailed on' cold spell never verifies.

Edited by Jason74

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
33 minutes ago, Jason74 said:

Some folk never learn and seem to keep being suckered in, year in, year out, by the models. All ending in a huge amount of despondency and disappointment that the 'nailed on' cold spell never verifies.

Guilty.

For me personally I'm not suckered by anything long term. (FI charts should be banned, might aswell go on Microsoft Paint and make your own) It's the last minute downgrades for the short term that are the killer. Although I've had a look myself and there's still half a chance we might see snow Tuesday evening down here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm looking forward to some gusty winds, but plenty of sunshine to be had. As I eluded to a few days back, not a bad week.. just windy.

• Like 1

Posted

The time will come when the short range thread is more popular than the dreamers MAD thread, I'm sure. I've been here years and have seen it every year, burnt fingers, bun fights and dolly's out the pram. When March comes normality returns and people seem to change their perspectives, away form the elusive hunt for the white stuff. Meanwhile down here 7.3°C, still partly cloudy, breeze has backed off so spent time watching my grandson play footie. @Mapantz you looking for a new record on this "runner"..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Yet again it’s another dull day so far.  6.4°C. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
25 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

I'm saying this quietly so Matt doesn't hear "The yellow thing is shining here..."

What did you say? Didn’t quite catch that. :cc_confused:

Edited by matt111

Posted

I’m not sure what’s harder tbh, being a snow lover down south or being an Arsenal fan.... :nonono::wallbash:

throw no drinking and a diet on the above, I’ll Be reaching for the Samaritans hotline pretty soon :doh:

Posted

Sun is beginning to shine here too.. as usual, just before sunset! Typical! But at least it’s not grey outside anymore. Time for the 12z... therefore more toy throwing/wrist slashing. I have popcorn and I’m ready :D

Posted

Briefly saw the sun earlier but otherwise as you were. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

I’m actually pretty shocked at the modelling flip in the last 24 hrs

Posted
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I’m actually pretty shocked at the modelling flip in the last 24 hrs

It’s always the way with snowy Synoptics. Or always seems to be. Could it flip back? 

Posted
11 minutes ago, khodds said:

It’s always the way with snowy Synoptics. Or always seems to be. Could it flip back? 

Can’t see it now, it’s the point of no return for any extended cold in this period of weather following the runner imo. Just bizarre. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Medium-range model showing the strongest winds in the West - Wales, and Northern England.

Pressure of 976mb as it hits the UK, but instead of filling, it stays the same, and begins to drop further as it exits the UK. That's the problem, if the models continues to deepen it, it'll track unfavourably East instead of dropping South and East.

viewimage.thumb.png.71e525dd0f788dcbddccd02f63f829b6.png viewimage2.thumb.png.9d52e17fcb218f4e9636b9b119541d02.png viewimage3.thumb.png.6faaacda0c219d47c52e9462bcc01749.png viewimage4.thumb.png.1cd4a898b7f8069166d89e4a6479dcae.png