Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Imagine taking everything the Met Office further updates say as gospel, aren’t we meant to be in raging north easterlies right now according to them? I find such an experienced member making a post like this rather surprising mate tbh, it’s misleading newbies a little.

Just trying to control expectations. The eps are still showing no real sign of a favourable high latitude block over the next 2 to 3 weeks, therefore, the permanent NE Canadian lobe will continue to leak energy South East into the euro trough. It's hard to see how we get deeper cold from that scenario.

There will be snow and frost around but for Southern areas it's going to be difficult to get it.

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted

I’m liking this ICON, better separation in that troughing towards Greenland might allow us to get a ridge up there sooner, interesting to see how this unfolds, for comparison...

A2A12201-A542-4B68-85B7-10738F8E490D.png

40A50B13-F62B-4253-BA13-9BBB02FA30C4.png

• Like 4

Posted
35 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

It might be positive, but the Met Office are saying no North Easterly or Easterly right out to the middle of February, for Central and Southern England this is not good news, seems quite wet and cold.

Further North will fair better, but no deep and long lasting cold with snow more prevalent over hills.

Not sure why the NEly or Ely make a difference many areas in Oxfordshire had a good covering of snow yesterday evening - I wish people would stop the fascination with winds from the East.

• Like 5

Posted

Very consistent from the ICON, I would be very happy with this output 7 days from now, and a very plausible sypnotic, it’s just a bit of a waiting game until we can get something sustained really.

C0240E2B-EC99-4CDD-B2AC-A77114B71AD3.png

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Banbury said:

Not sure why the NEly or Ely make a difference many areas in Oxfordshire had a good covering of snow yesterday evening - I wish people would stop the fascination with winds from the East.

Because generally, if Central and Southern England wants a more sustained deeper cold spell, then winds from the East or North East would normally be more favourable.

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, booferking said:

Icon cracking run for cold and longevity..

I absolutely agree that we are into a longer cold spell with below average temperatures, however, those below average temperatures do not necessarily mean deep cold and snow, we just need to be more relaxed in our expectations.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
7 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

Only allowed to take them seriously if they're saying what you want to hear, obviously.

Nothing to do with met..forecast that as again shouldnt be quoted in here....

Its the bizzare miss-analysis..of-if an easterly/nor-easterly was to lap our shores..

It would be likely brutal..all synops given-..and would CERTAINLY NOT equate to cold and wet...especialy in geographicals quoted...End of !!!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Positive start to the 12zs The ICON really is good, AO tanking, Russian high stronger and a ridge building behind the trigger low south of Greenland and of course the actual northerly its self 

Screenshot_20190123-153516.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Back to the models please chaps,no need for bickering.Posts like that will disappear.

Thankyou

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Yes the ICON looking great, look at the heights pushing into Greenland

775B0183-ECED-4C22-89D2-BC6D7B57F08E.thumb.gif.86ed67dcc389f0fec256f509f875e34b.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Because generally, if Central and Southern England wants a more sustained deeper cold spell, then winds from the East or North East would normally be more favourable.

You could aim that at most of the UK but once the jet goes South and we are on the cold side NWlies will do , followed by slack winds and overnight low temps and repeat and repeat 

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

I absolutely agree that we are into a longer cold spell with below average temperatures, however, those below average temperatures do not necessarily mean deep cold and snow, we just need to be more relaxed in our expectations.

If its the same 850s which we had this week then its snow and it looks like they will be similar maybe even colder as we go on so all in all i will take that over south-westerlies any day.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Gfs producers a low from out of the blue at 42 hours???not sure how that will affect the ridging but its there eitherway which it wasn't on the 6z

Edited by swfc
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Yes the ICON looking great, look at the heights pushing into Greenland

775B0183-ECED-4C22-89D2-BC6D7B57F08E.thumb.gif.86ed67dcc389f0fec256f509f875e34b.gif

Am I right in thinking that would be a genuine nationwide snow event of some magnitude as that low passes through?

Posted
2 minutes ago, swfc said:

Gfs producers a low from out of the blue at 42 hours???not sure how that will affect the ridging but its there eitherway

It's certainly more developed gfs-0-48.png?12 gfs-0-54.png?6

Edited by frosty ground

Posted
2 minutes ago, booferking said:

If its the same 850s which we had this week then its snow and it looks like they will be similar maybe even colder as we go on so all in all i will take that over south-westerlies any day.

Too right, but without proper Northerly blocking we leave ourselves open to the Atlantic and associated mild sectors.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Interesting little runner has appeared at 48h. Any chance it might come in at the right angle for us snow starved SW folk?

gfs-0-48.thumb.png.90b1379fbd3a1e6a641605cf76b5a9ca.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Jason74 said:

The worrying is that I still (foolishly) allow myself to be reeled in. Like a fish on a hook. Even after 6 or 7 years of being on here. 

You ent the only one, I see a few runs saying the same kind of thing and that’s it I tell the mrs it’s gona be freezing with loads of snow likely and then the next morning I make out like I never said such a thing

• Like 2