Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
37 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.4f44084f88de5c07c7f922ebc6e17b52.png

I like UKMO 144..

Should go colder from there..

Personally don't see it...Azores slug will stay in situ, and just watch that Canadian PV lobe extend itself!

• Like 1

Through experience many know that looking for details past 120h is pointless for GFS a lot of the time. It is mainly about looking at trends at this stage and seeing where the weather looks to be heading.

For me, there is no sign of a 'trend' at this moment because the last two GFS operational runs have been so different that you cannot take one literally, or, even begin to estimate where the chance of snow may be possible.

Hence why, I advise everyone, to wait not only until the ensembles but the ECM later before getting too worried about 'no chance of snow' for the south of the UK.

There is no certainly past 120h so please people stop being so pessimistic 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Banbury said:

And your thoughts if its at the top end of the ENS?

Knee jerk reaction or what - I do wonder 

The thing I'd say to that is the op ECM backs it (and has done now for 4 runs), as did nearly 50% of its ensembles...as does the UKMO 12z to an extent. Itsd certainly looking increasingly probable that this is the evolution it takes.

Indeed if that is the way it goes I would not rule out an easterly still at some point...but based on the lack of cold air around, probably one of those useless types!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kold weather said:

The thing I'd say to that is the op ECM backs it (and has done now for 4 runs), as did nearly 50% of its ensembles...as does the UKMO 12z to an extent. Itsd certainly looking increasingly probable that this is the evolution it takes.

Indeed if that is the way it goes I would not rule out an easterly still at some point...but based on the lack of cold air around, probably one of those useless types!

A warm Easterly in time for spring is my guess (hope).

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

Don't give a damn about an Easterly its the comments on 222h that are laughable , the 12z isn't just the OP, its the whole GEFS including the Para and seeing where it sits 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, DCee said:

A warm Easterly in time for spring is my guess (hope).

Out to 300hrs and indeed a useless easterly has arrived, probably very dull and cloudy with grains of snow. Nice warm surge coming into southern Europe as well by the way!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
2 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

1166.jpg

Tears in my eyes with laughter here! 

Top knotch banter @Froze were the Days

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Banbury said:

Don't give a damn about an Easterly its the comments on 222h that are laughable , the 12z isn't just the OP, its the whole GEFS including the Para and seeing where it sits 

Totally agree, and we need to see where it fits on the 12z suite of models...BUT so far the 12z UKMO totally back its synoptically, its got decent support from the 00z ECM ensembles and obviously the 00z ECM.

That's actually quite a solid grouping supporting that evolution. The same exact thing happened to our last easterly attempt.

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Dyer output - absolutely gutted.

Keep taking the tablets Feb. 

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Last nights 850's were plenty good enough for a good covering in these parts and today's temps were good enough to keep the snow on the ground , the output will give us more opportunities for snow to fall and stay 

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Totally agree, and we need to see where it fits on the 12z suite of models...BUT so far the 12z UKMO totally back its synoptically, its got decent support from the 00z ECM ensembles and obviously the 00z ECM.

That's actually quite a solid grouping supporting that evolution. The same exact thing happened to our last easterly attempt.

UKMet model that only goes out to 144 totally backs the GFS at 222?

gfs-0-144.png?12UW144-21.GIF?23-17
Identical charts at 144 you can't get a fag paper between them

gfsnh-0-144.png?12UN144-21.GIF?23-17

No real difference to be seen MetO totally the same. 

Edited by frosty ground
  • Like 2

Posted

Well that wasn't the best GFS run I've ever seen, still got a few chances but we basically end up with a good, but short lived NW airflow and a really weak NE/ENE airflow and that is about it for the cold spell for most...

Not exactly what we are looking for is it?!

GFS 12z gets a 6/10 from me. Not a total disaster as some are saying, but its a pretty poor end given the potential that is out there.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Atleast someone on here is on the same wave length than me - Think we need to implement a new rule. Don't look further than 5 days on models lol

So this is the 'hunt for cold model thread' yet you don't think people should look past 5 days  on the models? . 

Yes because trends and model agreements can't be found after five days can they?   

• Like 3

Posted

We've been here before with this 12z - some on here will need hormonal control tablets if we take these too seriously!! Patience will pay off I think. Granted the scope is narrowing but still - the snow trigger is there and ready for next week from Sunday onwards, and I'm sure there is still scope for positive as well as negative adjustments - as always ! Looking Marginal as it stands.... 

Posted

UKMO and GFS ARE similar in where they are putting the broad pieces. Of course there difference in surface pressure but *look* at the UIMO progress from 120-144hrs and notice over the states where that PV .lobe is going....its going SE into the Atlantic.

Take a look at the GFS 120-144hrs over the states (nOT the low pressure, follow the purple low thickness) where is it going, SE into the Atlantic.

That is the feature to watch as it is a direct lobe of the PV splitting off, and that is why I'm confident the UKMO follows the GFS+00z ECM at least until 240hrs because that track of the upper low into the Atlantic, quite clearly lots of energy about to head into the Atlantic based on that 144hrs UKMO, perhaps even more than the GFS.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
24 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Decent covering? Nothing in Central or South.

Maybe not in your locale however someone did post from a northern London suburb and it showed a decent covering - point being snow fell in the London area / south east in modest amounts or in any case it wasn't limited to northern hills as keeps being spouted around.

Edited by P-M
  • Like 2