Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

I don’t think people are ready for widespread 37 C on Thursday, let alone the potential of 39 C. It’s going to be an extreme weather event (..if it comes off like that).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Reached 29.5°C here today and I coped just fine. Wonder why I felt so bad with the heat in France, maybe because of the stronger sun and doing some garden work.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

I don’t think people are ready for widespread 37 C on Thursday, let alone the potential of 39 C. It’s going to be an extreme weather event (..if it comes off like that).

I think heat brings out testosterone-laden posturing in many, both in in Netweather and broader society.  I expect several people will get themselves into trouble as a consequence of not using sense and appreciating just how 37-38C can affect even otherwise healthy people if the spend too long sunbathing, working outside of not staying hydrated.

• Like 3

Posted
54 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I think heat brings out testosterone-laden posturing in many, both in in Netweather and broader society.  I expect several people will get themselves into trouble as a consequence of not using sense and appreciating just how 37-38C can affect even otherwise healthy people if the spend too long sunbathing, working outside of not staying hydrated.

Sunbathing in 37-38C?  No chance!  In fact you will never get me sunbathing.  I always choose the shade.

Edited by Don
  • Like 5

Posted
22 minutes ago, Don said:

Sunbathing in 37-38C?  No chance!  In fact you will never get me sunbathing.  I always choose the shade.

Good man!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

My moderator status aside.. do we really need to be dictated to about what we do in the heat? If we get thirsty, we'll have a drink. If we get too hot, we find a way of cooling down. These are basic human reactions! 

I know you feel the need to get angry at anybody that is enjoying this, but that sort of post is doing you no favours. If you're so worked up about it, why not take a break from viewing the forum during time when it's weather you hate or despise? I don't get why others should be vindicated or dictated to for how they behave during hot weather.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Can't say I've really noticed this "posturing" phenomenon in hot weather, sounds strange. I see a lot of that in winter though, coming from people who have a go at me for not handling the cold they crave so much. But let's not go down that route again, shall we.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Mapantz said:

My moderator status aside.. do we really need to be dictated to about what we do in the heat? If we get thirsty, we'll have a drink. If we get too hot, we find a way of cooling down. These are basic human reactions! 

I know you feel the need to get angry at anybody that is enjoying this, but that sort of post is doing you no favours. If you're so worked up about, why not take a break from viewing the forum during time when it's weather you hate or despise? I don't get why others should be vindicated or dictated to for how they behave during hot weather.

I'm not getting angry with anyone really, and am pleased that many are enjoying these conditions.  I'm not trying to ruin anyone's enjoyment, but I must confess to being miffed that members are being allowed, in the supposedly objective Model thread, to provide sweeping generalisations about extreme heat being 'welcomed by all' wnen I'm being warned for offering an alternative viewpoint here in the thread which, as I understand it, is set-aside for subjective commentary.  I'm also concerned by the increase in posts saying things along the lines of 'I want it as extreme as possible', as though this wouldn't have any negative consequences.  What extreme is enough, though?  40C?  45C?  At what point do we say "enough is enough"?

On the subject of bing told how to deal with the heatwave, I think the authorities would be considered uncaring and possibly negligent if they didn't bother to provide advice, despite the fact that much of it should be obvious.  I suspect that, sadly, there will be excess deaths this week that can be directly attributed to heat (in the Met Office live stream earlier, it was stated that the UK saw 2000 such deaths during the 2003 heatwave), and I think it's fair to suggest that, for the families of those 2000 people, the expe experience was no less awful just because some people were enjoying the very heatwave conditions which caused their loss.  Of course, most people are perfectly intelligent enough to do the right thing in hot weather, just as they are in snow, extreme cold, high winds or any other extreme weather situation, but some people, unfortunately, do need saving from themselves on occasion, if only because some are likely to be parents or dog owners and therefore may be putting children or animals at risk. 

I'm sorry that my comment, which was genuinely not intended to cause controversy and which I honestly thought wasn't controversial, was felt to be unacceptable.  Perhaps the answer is for me to only post objectively during these periods and not offer any opinions or show concern.

• Like 2

Posted
46 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Can't say I've really noticed this "posturing" phenomenon in hot weather, sounds strange. I see a lot of that in winter though, coming from people who have a go at me for not handling the cold they crave so much. But let's not go down that route again, shall we.

Perhaps I overstated the point WRT Netweather members.  I don't think I'd be able to search through the last 12 months in order to quote specific posts, but there have definitely been occasions this summer and last when I've raised an eyebrow at a comment to the effect of 'anyone can handle x degrees C if they stop moaning' or 'I've done x in y degrees C all week and not struggled at all' which have seemed out of the flow of the thread and have hence made me feel that they might well be attempts by the individual concerned to demonstrate how tough they are.  I've actually been made at times to feel inadequate given that most here seem much better-equipped to continue as normal in heat that leaves me feeling ill and weak, which, for someone with a physical disability who is easily made to feel inadequate at the best of times, isn't good for my self-esteem or mental health.  Maybe such people aren't posturing; maybe their posts are genuine statements of incredulity that others cannot shrug-off heat as they do, rather as a hugely talented sportsperson can be amazed at how inept the average punter is when they witness their attempts at hitting a drive on the golf course, kicking a conversion on the rugby field or powering a forehand winner down the line on the tennis court.

• Like 2

Posted

Met Office evening forecast puts an 80% chance of the July record being broken, 40% chance of the overall record being broken.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Loifeless said:

Met Office evening forecast puts an 80% chance of the July record being broken, 40% chance of the overall record being broken.

I think we’ll smash the all time record.  Just my gut feeling.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

I know you feel the need to get angry at anybody that is enjoying this, but that sort of post is doing you no favours. If you're so worked up about it, why not take a break from viewing the forum during time when it's weather you hate or despise? I don't get why others should be vindicated or dictated to for how they behave during hot weather.

Playing devils advocate I don’t think he was dictating at all. I think it’s a fair comment from some of the posts I’ve seen on here. 

Ive just had a chat with someone who is ill due to not realising the effects the heat can have. Valid comment IMO and a bit harsh 

• Like 3

Posted

The weather is actually not so bad as the air is very dry and there is wind as long as it stays dry air it should be bearable.

Edited by NTC
  • Like 1

Posted

Do temperatures in Jersey count on the all-time UK temperature record lists? 36.0C there today, must be close to getting on the all-time top 10?

Currently 27C here after a garden maximum of 33C (I guess a degree or two up on an offical observation ;)  ) and feeling like a sauna.

Posted

Just something interesting to note, the ARPEGE ensemble members that develop cells further east tonight are also the runs that don't go as high on Wednesday or Thursday. Given we have decent cells developing quite far east just something to think about.

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, CanadianCoops said:

Playing devils advocate I don’t think he was dictating at all. I think it’s a fair comment from some of the posts I’ve seen on here. 

Ive just had a chat with someone who is ill due to not realising the effects the heat can have. Valid comment IMO and a bit harsh 

I'm certainly not dictating whether people ought to enjoy these conditions or not.  I actually wish I dealt with them (and therefore enjoyed them) as well as many do.  However, I think that any extreme, due to its rarity, can present problems in terms of some people adapting.  Around a year before she went into a care home, my late maternal grandmother was suffering from an increasingly rapid onset of dementia, and, at times, was quite confused.  She might not have realised that the temperature (particularly when quoted in Celcius which she didn't use and wasn't familiar with) and might have needed advice and help from us in such conditions.  I doubt that most people would want the Met Office, Environment Agency and government removing all advice from warnings, even if they knew (or thought) that they themselves didn't need them.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, matty007 said:

While I think another plume will happen, I personally don't think you could wish for better synoptics than we currently have. The hemisphere temp is at it's absolute maximum now. 

If you're going for the most extreme heat, now is the perfect time. Everything has come in line.  

Yes, good point.  However, I think we have until mid-August for potential all time record breaking heat?

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
7 minutes ago, Don said:

Yes, good point.  However, I think we have until mid-August for potential record breaking heat?

Record breaking? No. Extreme? Yes. You could probably still achieve high thirties until late August with the right setups. However, if you are going for the absolute maximum temperature achievable on this island, you are looking at the last week of July. After that, it begins to slowly cool down in the hemisphere. Thermal lag is at it's strongest in late July. 

On Thursday we will have 20c+ uppers, a southerly flow, dry ground, pre warming many days before, and the thermal lag at it's optimum. I really don't think you could possibly get more fierce conditions for the UK. And it's very very seldom for France etc to have such a fierce heatwave too. We have such a hot airmass to tap into.  It's all come at the perfect time for us to see if we can actually achieve the magic 40c.

If you want the maximum, the time is now. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
23 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Just something interesting to note, the ARPEGE ensemble members that develop cells further east tonight are also the runs that don't go as high on Wednesday or Thursday. Given we have decent cells developing quite far east just something to think about.

Just noticed this too....huge cluster of storms heading across the channel on a NNE trajectory, with lots of lightning. Stuff in the SW is doing nothing at the moment. Hampshire and Sussex in line for action in the next hour!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'd rate the chances of the all time record going on Thursday at about 50-50. UKV keeps throwing out 38-39c pretty widely, and the EC is showing 36c which usually undercooks it by a couple of degrees. Let's get that record if it's going to be miserably hot anyway.

• Like 1