Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 10th April 2020 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
16 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Talking about organisation, does anyone know how much shear there was on 28 June, 2012?

According to this article: There were 50knts of DLS equivalent to around 25m/s.

800x500.jpg
STRATUSDECK.CO.UK

For many people in the UK, including meteorologists and weather enthusiasts, June 28th 2012 was a day...
Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
4 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

According to this article: There were 50knts of DLS equivalent to around 25m/s.

800x500.jpg
STRATUSDECK.CO.UK

For many people in the UK, including meteorologists and weather enthusiasts, June 28th 2012 was a day...

Thanks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

finnaly something that says thunderstorms for me

2020-05-18-12-10-19.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Yeah agreeing with much of the chat regarding next Thursday, general consensus is for a few home-grown elevated storms to develop across CS England and the far South. The risk generally to transfer eastwards with the potential for storms to root to the boundary layer to become surface based or for other surface based storms to form late morning across SE England and East Anglia. NMM generally tends to over-blow CAPE values but even then we are still looking at 1000J/Kg respectively. Decent DLS too as mentioned so chance of organisation and/or weak home-grown MCS as hinted by NMM. Steep lapse rates too so some quite frequent lightning at times. Though all subject to changes over the coming days.

1169266559_SBCAPE.thumb.png.c2cb49367371797f784060c31fc8916b.png1581175471_MLCape.thumb.png.48dd33b561f461fbee0df037814e40b9.pngdls.thumb.png.19f79226e3b86f250090c8e5d5482451.png

1264849695_LapseRates.thumb.png.7b201acb9b0dbdfc8a88e5c32c0f7699.pngPrecip.thumb.png.d8b9d166eaf88549d6b4c4928b80be42.png

Nice summary but I just wanted to mention the point I highlighted there are a few different nmm models so not sure which ones u refer to but as I mentioned the wrf nmm on meteociel has been doing an excellent job over the last few weeks with the storms across Europe and usually has a good handle on CAPE values, there will be plenty of chopping and changing before we reach Thursday but ATM certainly looking interesting for some areas especially down in the SE.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Nice summary but I just wanted to mention the point I highlighted there are a few different nmm models so not sure which ones u refer to but as I mentioned the wrf nmm on meteociel has been doing an excellent job over the last few weeks with the storms across Europe and usually has a good handle on CAPE values, there will be plenty of chopping and changing before we reach Thursday but ATM certainly looking interesting for some areas especially down in the SE.

Thanks! From my understanding the NetWx model is a form of the NMM model if I'm right?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

03z UKV ppn looking quite lively for Thursday, timing of storms to develop and their clearance east uncertain for now. As other have said, models maybe too quick, upper trough seen upper wind charts moving E/NE likely to engage warm, humid and unstable air in place over eastern England on Thursday, with large scale ascent ahead of the trough likely to trigger the storms. 

Thurs_12z.thumb.png.85ba6b17745bdae05854f951fd490ff3.pngThurs_upper.thumb.JPG.597b0ecfb49d245f5d206930bc97c24f.JPGCAPE.thumb.png.e3f0b5140afa2ab6d1a2dfb1b7920b9d.png

GFS probably doing is usual over-egging of CAPE, but looks to be some reasonable deep layer shear ahead of the trough, so storms could organise with perhaps one or two supercells not out the question - with large hail,frequent lightning, strong wind gusts possible.

• Like 8

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nick F said:

03z UKV ppn looking quite lively for Thursday, timing of storms to develop and their clearance east uncertain for now. As other have said, models maybe too quick, upper trough seen upper wind charts moving E/NE likely to engage warm, humid and unstable air in place over eastern England on Thursday, with large scale ascent ahead of the trough likely to trigger the storms. 

Thurs_12z.thumb.png.85ba6b17745bdae05854f951fd490ff3.pngThurs_upper.thumb.JPG.597b0ecfb49d245f5d206930bc97c24f.JPGCAPE.thumb.png.e3f0b5140afa2ab6d1a2dfb1b7920b9d.png

GFS probably doing is usual over-egging of CAPE, but looks to be some reasonable deep layer shear ahead of the trough, so storms could organise with perhaps one or two supercells not out the question - with large hail,frequent lightning, strong wind gusts possible.

woah love the detail! and id love to see a supercell ^-^ do you think im too far south? or east to get any action

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
13 minutes ago, Nick F said:

one or two supercells, why does it sound like you're just saying it casually

Posted

Am definately out in the field this Thursday focusing on Cambs / Lincs / Norfolk etc

If it holds together will send back regular pictures 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Am definately out in the field this Thursday focusing on Cambs / Lincs / Norfolk etc

Beds? 

Posted
Just now, Paul Sherman said:

Obviously I really appreciate Nick's storm forecasts here on Netweather but for my general in-experience my rule of thumb is to only go storm chasing if Dan on ConvectiveWeather issues a Moderate particularly if the area of storms is over the East of the UK. If everything stays together I'm very tempted to make the drive down the M4 and stop off at my Uni house before deciding on next move.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Ben Sainsbury said:

Obviously I really appreciate Nick's storm forecasts here on Netweather but for my general in-experience my rule of thumb is to only go storm chasing if Dan on ConvectiveWeather issues a Moderate particularly if the area of storms is over the East of the UK. If everything stays together I'm very tempted to make the drive down the M4 and stop off at my Uni house before deciding on next move.

In all seriousness, I think Dan will actually issue a MDT

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Hello everyone, good to see some interest Thursday. Only thing I'd say is I'm not keen on the timing. Would like to see things kick off later in the day rather than being shoved east too early.

I see the GFS seems to be nudging toward keeping the Cape around until later in the day. 

Any thoughts on this? 

Cheers.

• Like 3

Posted
33 minutes ago, John90 said:

Hello everyone, good to see some interest Thursday. Only thing I'd say is I'm not keen on the timing. Would like to see things kick off later in the day rather than being shoved east too early.

I see the GFS seems to be nudging toward keeping the Cape around until later in the day. 

Any thoughts on this? 

Cheers.

Any thoughts of me getting an action here in ramsgate or no? id storm chase but ive only got a motorbike

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
10 minutes ago, Mitch perrott said:

Any thoughts of me getting an action here in ramsgate or no? id storm chase but ive only got a motorbike

I could picture you riding along the coast with a CG in the background!  But I see what you mean, a bike is not exactly a faraday cage

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

I could picture you riding along the coast with a CG in the background!  But I see what you mean, a bike is not exactly a faraday cage

HAHA yeah true but do you think ill get any storms where i am now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
2 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

The M11 would be a decent road to aim for. Then you have a few options around Cambridge to split East up the A11 toward Norwich, or the A10 up past Ely towards Kings Lynn and West Norfolk. Or carry on up the A14/A1 for Peterborough into Lincolnshire. It’ll be a morning of intense radar observation, as these could well be fast movers, so decision making will be quite important! 

I’ll be preparing a full tank, although I shouldn’t need to chase too far seen as I’m seemingly slap bang under the lot!

This is now beginning to get very interesting. A good combination of high instability overlapped with decent wind shear! 

Another positive, fuel is very cheap at the moment! Take advantage while you can! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Well here in Bedford, we brew storms and send them elsewhere (especially in these types of set-ups) as most Bedfordians will agree... so anything north of Bedford has a 100% chance of storms on Thursday 

The track of the storms on Thursday will be similar to where they occurred on the 27th July 2018 and the 27th August 2019 by the looks of it.

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 1

Posted

Does anyone know if I am in a good position actually? I might be a bit worried that the storms might just slide to the east of me.