Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Looks like the mod thread has slipped in to a cold damp coma. 

How the hell am i supposed to know what the weather is going to be like in 4 weeks time now

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, Cwmbran Eira said:

Looks like the mod thread has slipped in to a cold damp coma. 

How the hell am i supposed to know what the weather is going to be like in 4 weeks time now

looking a bit limp at the mo although gfs well into it's runs gets into a north easterly with some potential there - all i can report for now

• Like 2

Posted

That’s it now I think….long summer then batten down the hatches for next winter. East QBO with a El Niño gives an excellent chance for a harsh winter next. Here’s hoping guys!

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, WINTRY WALES said:

That’s it now I think….long summer then batten down the hatches for next winter. East QBO with a El Niño gives an excellent chance for a harsh winter next. Here’s hoping guys!

Not sure that it's quite over for me - got to go to INVERNESS of all places at the end of this month - probably be lots of snow up there I would have thought - into the Lion's den I go eh!

Posted
10 hours ago, keithlucky said:

Andy are they putting a load of wind turbines up near you?

No Idea - we've had a solar farm put up here - but a wind turbine farm wouldn't be  bad idea as we do get alot of wind up top here

Posted
7 hours ago, andymusic said:

No Idea - we've had a solar farm put up here - but a wind turbine farm wouldn't be  bad idea as we do get alot of wind up top here

Mentioned on news across the hills of  ponty ,hope its not to close the noise of the blades,plus the massive lorries 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Golly, bit of a chilly one this morning.  A frost, but not hard and with the clocks gone forward, a darker awakening.  Looks like a not bad day weather wise, if a tad fresh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

Completing twenty years of rainfall records in my garden on Friday, we have just reached north of 200 mm for this month, making it the wettest March since my records begun in 2004. By the time we reach April the final total will undoubtedly also exceed the 200% of average mark (currently 190%).☔🌧️

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Wetterfrosch said:

Completing twenty years of rainfall records in my garden on Friday, we have just reached north of 200 mm for this month, making it the wettest March since my records begun in 2004. By the time we reach April the final total will undoubtedly also exceed the 200% of average mark (currently 190%).☔🌧️

and well needed to make sure we have no drought this summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes
47 minutes ago, andymusic said:

and well needed to make sure we have no drought this summer

Quite so! Wonder if (or how) leaving La Nina finally behind might affect our fortunes this summer in any notable way?🤔

Posted

On that same note, both ECMWF and CFS trending warmer than average June to August, but while ECM also trends drier, the CFS goes for a wetter summer, perhaps indicating an active storm season? Gawn ni weld/we'll see!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation

Posted
2 hours ago, Wetterfrosch said:

On that same note, both ECMWF and CFS trending warmer than average June to August, but while ECM also trends drier, the CFS goes for a wetter summer, perhaps indicating an active storm season? Gawn ni weld/we'll see!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Vegetation

active storms will suite me lol

Posted

As if anyone would need official confirmation, here it is anyway from the MetOffice, stating this outgoing month to be one of the wettest since 1836.

scotland-puddle-reflection.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

England has had its wettest March since 1981, with Wales and Northern Ireland also seeing one of their wettest Marches on record.

As for my own garden, up to this morning I have reached 226.5 mm, by far beating the 181 mm back in 2019 and the highest in my now 20 year series. Let's hope for a drier April!!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Crepuscular Ray said:

332 mm here for me. 

Wow, that's quite something!!!😲 Fits in nicely with the MetO anomaly chart above. Mine finished at 228 mm or 216 % compared to the previous 19 years.

Looking forward to seeing all the fresh green leaves beginning to appear now!!

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Wetterfrosch said:

Wow, that's quite something!!!😲 Fits in nicely with the MetO anomaly chart above. Mine finished at 228 mm or 216 % compared to the previous 19 years.

Looking forward to seeing all the fresh green leaves beginning to appear now!!

Yes, it definitely feels like time for spring now. The oak tree at the top of the hill, and the grazing areas on the mountainsides, are flushed with green and I am waking up to a dawn chorus. After a grim few years, this is my first spring ever having my own garden to nurture; I am gradually discovering what all the plants are and enjoying watching things both in it and the surrounding area burst into life. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Crepuscular Ray said:

Yes, it definitely feels like time for spring now. The oak tree at the top of the hill, and the grazing areas on the mountainsides, are flushed with green and I am waking up to a dawn chorus. After a grim few years, this is my first spring ever having my own garden to nurture; I am gradually discovering what all the plants are and enjoying watching things both in it and the surrounding area burst into life. 

Late March through April and into May is my favourite time of year, seeing nature wake up into a rage of colour and scent which gives so much optimism. As much as I sometimes curse having to take my dogs out every single day, whatever the weather, it also gives me the opportunity to observe this all yearly process close up. Although I don't keep phenological records as such, I have in the past submitted some observations to Nature's Calendar, sponsored by the Woodland Trust.

NATURESCALENDAR.WOODLANDTRUST.ORG.UK

Help us track the effects of weather and climate change on wildlife near you.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Well what a grey day!  Lulled into false sense of Spring being sprung yesterday, had planned a gardening day.  It is currently a fresh  7c outside estimated to reach the dizzy heights of 11c later in the day.  Hmmmnnnn. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, snefnug said:

Well what a grey day!  Lulled into false sense of Spring being sprung yesterday, had planned a gardening day.  It is currently a fresh  7c outside estimated to reach the dizzy heights of 11c later in the day.  Hmmmnnnn. 

Same here - guess we have to be thankful that at least it's dry, so out i go anyway. Better (meaning sunnier!) day expected tomorrow but likely to be a cold start.

Posted

Fabuloso sunshiny day if a chilly light frost start.  Washing out on line, cats out, part of garden weeded, eying seed packets speculatively.  Roll on late spring!

Posted

What a glorious day!  Blue skies and sun and warmth.  Morning spent in garden readying raised beds and weeding a forest of sycamore seedlings, then a dog walk and tea and toast and a sit down before prepping for supper.  Love it!

• Like 4

Posted

Gwyl Pasg Hapus pawb/Happy Easter everyone! Hope you have found all your Easter eggs by now🥚🐰😉  - one could almost think spring has arrived properly looking at the thermometer, until we arrive back at the default season in Wales tomorrow with yet more wind and rain arriving!

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun

Well ... trying to batten down the damaged roof ( by a contractor  not the wind ) @Strumble Head. Cows are out as ( allegedly) spring is here. Lots of bumblebees about feasting on the gorse. Racing pigeons that have got lost on their journeys are already raising chicks.  Hope storm Antoni doesn't cause too much trouble. 

Fingers 🤞

Weather data currently 

Temp 11.1 

Dp 9.1

Light drizzle

Southerly winds average 10.2 mph

BARO 29.76 inHg

Happy Easter 🐣 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1