Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

We currently have the heaviest rain in the country! Quite ridiculous really. Only a yellow warning though. Doesn't matter if we all drown though I guess, we're only Welsh! 

wetwetwet.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

It is bad out there at the moment and prob going to be for the next 24 hours. Even the weather dog didn't want to go out for long. After 5 mins he wanted to come back in. Had to towel him off which means its torrential rain out there. 

• Like 1

Posted

It's eased off for a bit now but Southeast Wales, and especially the Gower, Swansea, NPT and Bridgend, have had a real soaking, with more to come. Snowdonia has also been very wet, as expected. It'll be "interesting" to see what we wake up to.

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 01.42.22.png

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

Six hours later and we STILL have the most rain falling over Wales! Way more than the amber warning area have had! But we don't count obviously. Normally I'm not bothered about this sort of thing, but this winter I have noticed more than ever, the blatant IMBYism from SE England members in the mod thread. Ironically, they've been accusing others of the same thing. I know that xenophobia from Welsh people toward the English exists too, and I don't condone that either. But this year I have never felt so excluded being a Welshman reading the mod thread! I'm really not sure why, but others in here have noticed it too. The SE England bias seems to be unusually strong this year!

wetwetwewett.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
6 hours ago, blackrose73 said:

We currently have the heaviest rain in the country! Quite ridiculous really. Only a yellow warning though. Doesn't matter if we all drown though I guess, we're only Welsh! 

wetwetwet.jpg

It’s not welshist  per se.  Had this issue in 2010 and asked Meto to explain.  It’s to do with human population density, urban travel routes etc.  When we had 2013 March snow and a lot of farmers lost their ewes and lambs, we had no more than a yellow warning - rural and largely sheep population don’t count.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
7 hours ago, Jackfrost said:

Have to admit, I'm feeling anxious tonight. We live in a house that has been flooded by overflowing sewers in periods of intense rain before and unfortunately I'll be pulling an all-nighter to keep an eye on the drains in the road out the front, and with all the emergency numbers on standby. It shouldn't have to be like this.

Best of luck to you and your neighbours over the next 24 hours.  I hope you manage to avoid this happening as it must be awful to see waste water flooding into your house.  We have only ever had water up to our doorstep when during heavy rain the fields around us drain into the lane, turning it into a temporary stream.  The worst for us before now was in January 2015 but since then I have tried to raise the ground level and improve the drainage so now the water continues down the road a few feet from the house.  However, got up at 5:30am this morning to see that the road has been flooded from one side to the other and my attempts at flood management have been overwhelmed.  This is at least as bad as 2015.  Luckily there appears to be no risk of water coming into the house though, so I think we’ll be OK.  The water continues down the hill into the valley below and it’s the folk downstream that I am thinking about now.  There are amber warnings for flooding in and around Whitland, St Clears and Carmarthen for later today.

Edited by Sky Full
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

Awful weather..I hope those worried about flooding have avoided it. A dry spell is needed after all this.

• Like 2

Posted

Y sefyllfa bore ma! 

Here’s the situation this morning! 

94mm and counting here since yesterday! 

99542D25-654D-48D6-B11F-CF12391BD8C4.jpeg

B7950D40-8FAC-45CE-972B-6771F5C897FB.jpeg

Posted
1 hour ago, blackrose73 said:

Six hours later and we STILL have the most rain falling over Wales! Way more than the amber warning area have had! But we don't count obviously. Normally I'm not bothered about this sort of thing, but this winter I have noticed more than ever, the blatant IMBYism from SE England members in the mod thread. Ironically, they've been accusing others of the same thing. I know that xenophobia from Welsh people toward the English exists too, and I don't condone that either. But this year I have never felt so excluded being a Welshman reading the mod thread! I'm really not sure why, but others in here have noticed it too. The SE England bias seems to be unusually strong this year!

wetwetwewett.jpg

It's not just based on rainfall that resulted in the amber warning. The already high river levels along with snow melt are the reasons the amber warning is where it is. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Sky Full said:

Best of luck to you and your neighbours over the next 24 hours.  I hope you manage to avoid this happening as it must be awful to see waste water flooding into your house.  We have only ever had water up to our doorstep when during heavy rain the fields around us drain into the lane, turning it into a temporary stream.  The worst for us before now was in January 2015 but since then I have tried to raise the ground level and improve the drainage so now the water continues down the road a few feet from the house.  However, got up at 5:30am this morning to see that the road has been flooded from one side to the other and my attempts at flood management have been overwhelmed.  This is at least as bad as 2015.  Luckily there appears to be no risk of water coming into the house though, so I think we’ll be OK.  The water continues down the hill into the valley below and it’s the folk downstream that I am thinking about now.  There are amber warnings for flooding in and around Whitland, St Clears and Carmarthen for later today.

Thank you for the kind words, and yes, so far we've avoided anything too terrible. The experience of being flooded with wastewater really was awful. We'd only moved in a few months before and weren't warned beforehand that the house was vulnerable. After the flood we had to stay with relatives for four months while our house was fully decontaminated and everything the water touched disposed of. Even after we'd moved back in, the smell of damp still lingered for ages. I'm glad you've managed to avoid ever being flooded, and hopefully the worst any of us will be dealing with is some waterlogged fields and gardens.

And on the subject of Wales and what happens here in terms of weather being ignored, I think one of the main problems is that we don't have our own national media, leaving us fully reliant on London-based media. When the media, government and business are all highly centralised in London, there's simply not much incentive to pay attention to thinly-populated, relatively poor Wales in the brief TV forecasts (and BBC Wales's weather coverage often feels a bit rudimentary and rushed). While the lack of a national media is an issue specific to Wales, the media and government also have a habit of failing more distant parts of England. Remember the slow reaction to the Somerset Levels being inundated at the start of 2014, compared to the defences quickly put in place when wealthier (and, without getting too political, Tory heartland) areas beside the Thames in the Home Counties became vulnerable a few weeks later? A lot of this is a result of everything in the UK being centralised in London, and basically, the further north and west a place is from London, the more of an afterthought it is.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, MKN said:

It's not just based on rainfall that resulted in the amber warning. The already high river levels along with snow melt are the reasons the amber warning is where it is. 

Snow melt is also a problem for high ground in Wales especially North Wales and river levels were also above average ranges here before this LP moved in. Flooding problems increasing across Wales as we speak. 

This is not a we need an amber warning they don’t argument. 

The proof is in the pudding and time and time again the METO have underplayed significant weather events in Wales resulting in a lack of multi agency planning to combat and prepare for flooding problems. 

Storm Dennis was a prime example, Cara as well, they know Wales topography increases our rainfall substantially, yet seem to undermine rainfall impacts every time. This is costing millions to business and properties in Wales year on year and a lot is down to lavk of multi agency mitigation and planning. 

The matrices are misleading at best and poor. The Irish Met warning system is far better. There needs to be a review into the Meto warning system, it’sn just not fit for purpose. 

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, Cymro said:

Snow melt is also a problem for high ground in Wales especially North Wales and river levels were also above average ranges here before this LP moved in. Flooding problems increasing across Wales as we speak. 

This is not a we need an amber warning they don’t argument. 

The proof is in the pudding and time and time again the METO have underplayed significant weather events in Wales resulting in a lack of multi agency planning to combat and prepare for flooding problems. 

Storm Dennis was a prime example, Cara as well, they know Wales topography increases our rainfall substantially, yet seem to undermine rainfall impacts every time. This is costing millions to business and properties in Wales year on year and a lot is down to lavk of multi agency mitigation and planning. 

The matrices are misleading at best and poor. The Irish Met warning system is far better. There needs to be a review into the Meto warning system, it’sn just not fit for purpose. 

I do generally have a lot of respect for the Met Office but they failed us in Storm Dennis in what was a very dangerous situation, and may well have done so again. The Taff has burst its banks in Pontypridd this morning, the second time in less than a year.

This kind of flooding is becoming ever more common all over Wales. While we're all snow lovers and enjoy hunting for it, I worry that flood watch will become the main winter activity in these parts in future, and our media and forecasting agencies need to keep up.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow
15 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

There's still snow being shown on the GFS for the early hours of Sunday morning. Potential for up to 6 hours of quite heavy snow. 

The way this winter has been and going, expect 6 hours of heavy rain

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun
7 minutes ago, freeze for all said:

The way this winter has been and going, expect 6 hours of heavy rain

.... I'm about to give the cows outside snorkels. We are right on the coast, less than 12 inches of topsoil on solid slate and volcanic rock. 74mm of rain here in 5 days so far. 

Giving up growing barley... Rice would do well here. We've got paddy fields.... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

2 hours ago, Penfoel said:

.... I'm about to give the cows outside snorkels. We are right on the coast, less than 12 inches of topsoil on solid slate and volcanic rock. 74mm of rain here in 5 days so far. 

Giving up growing barley... Rice would do well here. We've got paddy fields.... 

Yep.  Assuming it was raining all night while I was asleep, we just passed 30 hours continuous non-stop rain here, with potential for at least another 4 hours to go.  It’s not particularly heavy but it’s mounting up.  There’s going to be some very swollen rivers by tonight.  Glad to see your weather stations working well!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

Quick update....its still raining 

• Like 1

Posted

Cold conditions are set to last through the weekend. During Saturday central and northern regions have sunny spells and wintry showers. In the south there is a risk of longer spells of rain, sleet or snow.

Sunday brings sunny spells but wintry showers could become quite widespread. There is the chance of a more organised band pushing southeastwards.   ❄️

Posted

Heavy rain here. Just back with the dog after her afternoon amble round the village... she would insist ?‍♀️  The little stream we walk along is in torrent.. methinks we may have a flooded rugby pitch by morning.. as long as that's all that's flooded we'll count ourselves lucky

Posted
58 minutes ago, andymusic said:

midnight tonight

image.thumb.png.7035b64cdfa3439c3de4ff6488e370a3.png

Amazing temperature contrast across the irish outbreaks of sleet snow almost into west Wales .

Screenshot_20210120-170158_Chrome.jpg

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

The rain has just turned to snow here. Fairly wet at the moment but it's turning earlier than I expected. Sleet started around 150m asl on the drive home from work, turned into snow at home at 304m asl, (above Llanberis) turning from sleet to snow and back again now, its trying for sure.

Edited by andy989
  • Like 1