Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Matt Jones said:

Agree they would be, I just find the warnings generally are backside covering though and often things don't turn out that way, bit like the warning covering down to the Humber for Tuesday on a bone dry day.

Yes, I suppose so. And then people don’t trust the Met Office & completely disregard their warnings. I mentioned the amber warning to a few friends/relatives yesterday and none of them were convinced.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

I must admit that i was unaware this event would be height sensitive to the point of no accumulation for some. 

That said, here in BD19 (my current little Cul-De-Sak is about 170m) the Met Office forecast looks correct. This initial band has produced about 3 inches (not found my ruler yet) and with the triple point yet to arrive the intensity should increase and the temperature should drop so the amber warning for 10-20cm will prove correct here making this the heaviest fall since 2018 (12cm or below) or 2013 (16cm or below). 

The amber warning should have probably caveated about 100m by the sounds of it. 

Yes, that's not how the system is angled. 

What time period are we looking at for the triple point?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, adrianh said:

Altitude seems to have been key so far. We have had a good dumping already in south Sheffield.

Hopefully lower elevations will join the party later this evening.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Bicycle, Vehicle, Chair, Ice, Weather, Winter, Bench, Snow

Should see it at Hallowes Golf Course I would say at the top it 15-20cm deep it was shin deep on the grass. 

Posted

Unfortunately elevation has been a must for today! Work is 30m above sea level no snow, back home its 100m and snow cover everywhere apart from roads

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
4 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Looks like Sheffield and surrounding areas are gunna get a pasting from that later. Think come tomorrow parts of sheffield will be right up there with highest totals.

Yes hopefully I'll get included here, and then yourself when all the convergence arrives.

It's looking good with decent elevation but now it's dark can tell the snow line has dropped further below here now as it's accumulating easily 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Went out and measured a while ago 14cm to 15cm of Snow. Still falling. Looking at the radar some very heavy precipitation over wales heading down towards Birmingham. If that merges with the front we are going to have some real fun.

I didn't have a tape measure on me and was walking the dogs and there was a good 15-20cm on the grass at Hallowes Golf course in Dronfield highest point is about 210m up there or there abouts. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

And we have lift off here in the Howardian Hills. Temperature has just dropped from 1.7°C to 0.9°C in the last 45 minutes and the snow is starting to stick on the grass. 

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, Harsh Climate said:

I think the triple point is here at the moment

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Way north that!! Supposed to be over Durham 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,lightning,hot and sunny

No problem where I live regarding snow cover on roads, but work colleagues are reporting roads up above 200m in Sheffield are in a bad way.

Posted

Very poor here today. Continual snow but barely anything settling, just a horrible slushy, wet mess.

Not at all hopeful for tonight, although sledge dusted off for kids just in case we miraculously get a covering!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Annoyingly we are in the gap because the system is further north than expected so the sweet spot will be a bit further north though it should'nt cost much for an hour. 

As per the chart posted above, the triple point conjunction on our side is current near the Isle of Man but it will move east and perhaps south east overnight as the front stops pushing north. 

To that end, it's worth saying that the low should stop its northward movement in an hour or two as highlighted by the radar shots over Island below. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Plant, Vegetation, Person, Art

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature

Annoyingly the map did not come with it but it's mid-Ireland (may screenshot next time instead of save image) but it shows the same location and you can see that the angle is flattening which is an indication that northward movement will probably stop over the next hour or two. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

12z UKV and AROME both looking good (11pm tonight)

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Hurricane, Storm, Map

I wonder if that intense precip modelled over Lincs at that time is what's currently over Wales and heading NE, later E? 🤔

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
7 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

I think the triple point is here at the moment

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

This is the zero hour fax chart for 6pm. spacer.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
25 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Then we’ll have to agree to disagree.  As a manager, in this case head teacher, you have a duty of care to all, whether that is children or teachers.

As a manager in the private sector for over 30 years, I always ensured everyone in my care was able to travel and get home by leaving early.  If the weather looked like it was going to be difficult they were offered the opportunity to work from home or from an alternative office. I certainly would not, if I’d been a head teacher, expect my staff to have to walk 10 miles taking children home.

Well at least we agree on something....to disagree!!. We are poles apart obviously. Can i just say though you do seem to miss my point. I've been a manager for over 25 years, i expect staff to be in work if no transport issues, ie 7am this morning. Yes monitor the situation, let staff go who obviously need to get off. As for schools, sorry, closing a school at 7am with no snow on the ground, causing total disruption to families, loss of income, loss of holiday entitlement is ridiculous. A school is a place of work, the school can stay open until the last child is picked up. The teachers are no different to any other work force, i would stay and make sure all my staff were safely on their way home. I am sorry your daughter had to walk so far home, honestly i am, not nice at all. But so did many that day, teachers are no different. It is a place of work, i've spent 12hrs plus getting home from mine. 

Better leave it at that, i have no wish at all to fall out with you. Stay safe and warm if the snow continues. 

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Sheffield snow said:

No problem where I live regarding snow cover on roads, but work colleagues are reporting roads up above 200m in Sheffield are in a bad way.

Not surprised it was bad enough when I was walking at top of Dronfield at 200m 2 hours ago it has started snowing heavily again and paths and roads well covered  even further down the valley and at top is 60m or so higher but makes a lot of difference there was a good 15-20cm on the grass I would say so I am not surprised and unless you have a 4x4 I wouldn't attempt to try and go anywhere in it. 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

I wonder if that intense precip modelled over Lincs at that time is what's currently over Wales and heading NE, later E? 🤔

Running it back, it appears you are correct! 

Posted

Very light snow, but starting to cover all surfaces including the roads and pavements.  First time this has happened today.

• Like 2

Posted

Settling on the roads and pavements now, though back to light snow as we seem to be in a bit of a gap. Not expecting anything near the warning level in my part of Leeds - elevation and lack of intensity hasn't helped (can really see the elevation in that the top part of Roundhay it is sticking to roads, c, 140m, but nearer Oakwood (under 100m) its really struggling.  With another c. 12 hours of off and on snow i am hopeful for a decent covering of several cm's - lets see!  

Posted

At last, heavy snow here now and all roads covered.  Should get a few inches if it carries on like this until 10am tomorrow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

UKMO update at 6pm. Even more messy with more fronts than, errr, something with a lot of fronts.

spacer.png