Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted

Light cover of snow overnight.   12th consecutive day with snow lying here.  Came overnight 27th Dec after Bella cleared and thhe same snow is still about, a bit thawed but with extra toppings  A few flakes still flying in bitter NE wnd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Only a dusting of snow here, less than last Saturday's snow. When I went to shop the wind is freezing!! I guessing about -4 windchill.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Had some light falling snow early this morning but grey & dry ever since ground damp but feeling bitter out. Would love to be proved wrong but looks a bit of a bust today’s ‘event’ NE and Yorkshire seem to have done well with a wintry mix across into Wales but a large rain shadow effect across much of the south and centre of the region with little or patchy precipitation - very March 2013 like. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Woke up to a patchy covering. Disappointed but shud have known better. Can see the odd flake falling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Rather damp here now with occasional light bursts of rain, sleet and snow. A slow thaw underway.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Been a bit rubbish today...the lightest of coverings first thing this morning disappeared in no time. Even relative's 250m up in Saddleworth haven't done much better.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Looking at the radar Manchester North some light to moderate snow I think this is what the BBC were going on about this morning just looks like they have got the timings wrong.

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, cheshire snow said:

Looking at the radar Manchester North some light to moderate snow I think this is what the BBC were going on about this morning just looks like they have got the timings wrong.

C.S

Yea, it currently keeps alternating between very fine and moderate , hope a bit more of the bulk makes it through

Posted
Just now, SnowWatcher2 said:

Yea, it currently keeps alternating between very fine and moderate , hope a bit more of the bulk makes it through

There seems to be renewed ooompf around Harrogate that could break the snow shield. If it can head a little more sw we could have an interesting afternoon. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

We have light snow

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Looks like that’s all for January now folks. Two more days, a cold night tonight and then back to zonal for the foreseeable. @CreweColdyou got it spot on. 

Eyes forward to Feb with the SSW taking place. We should start to see some of the effects of that filtering down to the troposphere then. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Looks like that’s all for January now folks. Two more days, a cold night tonight and then back to zonal for the foreseeable. @CreweColdyou got it spot on. 

Eyes forward to Feb with the SSW taking place. We should start to see some of the effects of that filtering down to the troposphere then. 

Not sure CC called all January cold but not sure it matters either way

and you are right no signs of anything wintry for the next 20 days 

image.thumb.png.cdb365ffdcbbfdf1f9dc1e62db9417f6.png

moderate snow 

• Like 1

Posted

Trying its best again here.. keep getting heavy burst but has been constantly falling lightly now for the past hour. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Not sure CC called all January cold but not sure it matters either way

and you are right no signs of anything wintry for the next 20 days 

image.thumb.png.cdb365ffdcbbfdf1f9dc1e62db9417f6.png

moderate snow 

Well I could be eating my socks yet again if that band just to the NE comes down to us. But it’s not forecast to.

Couple of toppers on offer, but compared to our outlook last week, it’s looking dreadful. Nothing remotely interesting for our part of the world. 

I’m on the lookout for a real polar NW’erly. The type that wakes the Irish Sea up, the type that gives us insane hail showers. I love that, but it’s getting harder and harder to come by nowadays. The Irish Sea just doesn’t produce convection like it used to. I remember once we got locked in to a huge back building streamer. We had 2-3 hours of the heaviest hail I’ve ever seen. It left about 10cm of level hailstone on the ground. It was amazing. 

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Too early to write off rest of January now, even GFS currently only goes out to the 24th 

Given the way the models are, we're not slipping into full body zonal neither

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted

More flying flakes just now.  Looks to be more thick misty clouds ESE towards Clitheroe and beyond.

Posted

Few light flakes blowing about now here.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Too early to write off rest of January now, even GFS currently only goes out to the 24th 

Given the way the models are, we're not slipping into full body zonal neither

Just isn’t looking very encouraging. I feel a mostly zonal pattern mixed in with a few topples is the best bet, with any real cold coming in February. Always bothers me when we get the real cold in feb/March as the sun is way stronger and it melts snow extremely easily. Especially in between showers. December/January best time for snow 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Backtrack said:

Just isn’t looking very encouraging. I feel a mostly zonal pattern mixed in with a few topples is the best bet, with any real cold coming in February. Always bothers me when we get the real cold in feb/March as the sun is way stronger and it melts snow extremely easily. Especially in between showers. December/January best time for snow 

truth in that is unreal, some say the sun makes no difference, but of course it does, shines on more surfaces in mid Feb and March, higher in sky

Posted

Pennines are now starting to zap the front. Doubt it’ll make much more progress now. Probably just fizzle out 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Looks like ive been lucky for once because 15/20M lower and theres nothing, my 58M ASL proving handy

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

truth in that is unreal, some say the sun makes no difference, but of course it does, shines on more surfaces in mid Feb and March, higher in sky

I get it all the time ‘as long as the temp is below zero the sun won’t melt the snow’. it’s just not true. Say we got snow in June and it somehow was 0C at 1pm. They’re telling me the sun wouldn’t melt that snow? It would be gone in seconds!