Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model thread discussion - cold spell looming

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's busy right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.
There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted

The GFS is still out on it's own regarding having everything slightly further north Sunday, reflected in the 850s.

GFS

gfs-1-72.png?12

UKMO

UW72-7.GIF?05-17

GEM

gem-1-72.png?12

It doesn't really make too much a difference for most of the southeast regarding snowfall or rain, but coastal areas do fall into slight jeopardy if the GFS was to be true. There's a difference of around -6 C at 850 hPa between the GEM and GFS at only 72hours over kent and sussex! 

Areas further north would benefit from this extra north push for dynamic snow, but I really think getting in the properly cold air fully will be beneficial for most down the road, from convective showers, to it being colder at the surface when the Atlantic inevitably fights back. The GFS is continuing to want this low to modify our lovely Pc air more than I would like.  

Edited by Eastbourneguy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well the GFS 00Z had temps pushing into the teens around  days 11-12, temps possibly nudging the teens next weekend by looking at the 12Z. UKMO possibly heading towards GFS as well (not often you say that) 

So much more going on before that though, Arpege possibly brings the Channel low into play on Tuesday and snow amounts before flip-flopping with every run. Fun times

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
16 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

I’ll take the GEM 12z at day 6

A95473E5-B9F8-4000-AF5D-18130E9A3E8D.png

91ADAD45-EC24-405B-B7EF-9E99438B8063.png

GEM much better than GFS or UKMO with front aligned NW/SE as opposed to pointing NE & dragging up SW’s ahead of it. Need the former 2 to move to this scenario if we’re to get a decent battleground event.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Ah a normal winter chart.

2AEFD2E6-5A0A-4B91-A764-44B6E859F2BC.pngWhich is why we should enjoy the 5 day cold spell.

And what was the GFS 6Z showing for that time period?!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
8 minutes ago, Ultima Thule said:

Can anyone post UKV precipitation charts from 12z run?

I think posting the odd one is ok, but bulk posting may not go down too well with @Paul as this is a paid for service

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
47 minutes ago, chris55 said:

UKMO trending the wrong way at 144 with the Atlantic Low edging north east pulling up an Iberian ridge ahead. Still a way to go on the eventual modelling of this though, will await ECM with interest. 

spacer.png

A look at the 850hpa chart shows the triple point south of the UK meaning the day 6 front on the UKMO largely fails unless another comes in afterwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
4 minutes ago, Don said:

And what was the GFS 6Z showing for that time period?!

I think you know

99F7B171-FE16-4D11-B895-EA535E33642A.pngThe point being fi is fi, next 5 days cold is coming.

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
32 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Anyone want to bet that this east Europe block is more west and north come nearer the time?6AFFA9C8-6A04-4E15-B664-89B514C63A15.thumb.jpeg.5e7e4cc5b6f64455d39cc82e51707717.jpeg

What would that mean for us ? That the cold lasts longer ? 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Still a large spread at day 7 on the GEFS, with OP near the top of the pack.

But you would think it's just a matter of when not if the mild interlude gets in now, especially after the Ukmo 144. Still time for changes though.

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e (1) (8).jpeg

Stil a lot of scatter this is far from done!!also the midlands ensembles have quiet a few still remaining very cold into the weekend!!hopefully ecm latches on to the lower end of those ensembles!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
36 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Anyone want to bet that this east Europe block is more west and north come nearer the time?6AFFA9C8-6A04-4E15-B664-89B514C63A15.thumb.jpeg.5e7e4cc5b6f64455d39cc82e51707717.jpeg

I would put money on it (not too much though).

As usual, GFS is over excited with the LP and we will probably end up with a blended solution with the other models which hopefully means if the cold spell is to end it will end with a snowstorm for some.

As I and many others keep saying, Fantasy Island is 5 days away and the models could be very different for next Wednesday as we go through the transition to cold and the first LP.

UKMO are very bullish about a cold end to February and the start of March.

• Like 2

Posted

Lots of moans, groans and non-model discussion has been moved over to the chat thread.
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/94934-winter-202021-chat-ramps-moans-and-banter/?do=getNewComment

Please have a read of the blue box by the post editor and consider what you're posting before hitting submit - the links to the other non-model discussion threads are right there.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

From winter to spring in a week. No IMBY fights next weekend! 

117FE7D1-9942-4245-9C9F-42DD3B76AAEB.png

Will it though ...

• Like 1

Posted

Still a long way off but GFS has shown this for a couple of runs now, a possible much milder spell following on from the cold spell. Personally I think this is more  likely than a continuation of the cold into the weekend and beyond.

GFSOPEU12_192_1.png

GFSOPEU12_192_2.png

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Fundamentally, a return to another easterly and round 2. These patterns do have a habit of repeating themselves. Remember the mini BFTE, that followed the BFTE a couple of years ago.

Yes. We had a dump of snow on 1st March and another one two weeks later !

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, chris55 said:

GEM looking more realistic. GFS is always progressive, and I think UKMO is a bit quick on the operational (would be nice to see the UKMO ens but we can't)

GEM showing snowfall into the south west at dat 6 continuing into day 7 north of Somerset. The milder air does push through and moves the snow line further north on Saturday.

I try not to be to IMBY in the thread, but seeing as we have had a lot of talk about the SE quadrant, thought i'd wave the flag for the south west.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still a long way to go with this, and as I have said before, it wouldn't surprise me if we end up with a sustained/renewed easterly feed before the milder Atlantic air gets established in any meaningful way.

That would be a great outcome 

• Like 3

Posted

In the 1980s I lost count of the number of times a breakdown from the West never made it to London, or better made it, stalled and dumped copious snow for hours on end.

We can hope that the current setup can do it again Thurs/Fri

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, chris55 said:

UKMO trending the wrong way at 144 with the Atlantic Low edging north east pulling up an Iberian ridge ahead. Still a way to go on the eventual modelling of this though, will await ECM with interest. 

spacer.png

Hmmm. A certain person who used to post on here has tweeted ‘UKMO 144 is a boom time slider . Don’t let anyone tell you it won’t go under . Which post is correct  

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
4 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Still a long way off but GFS has shown this for a couple of runs now, a possible much milder spell following on from the cold spell. Personally I think this is more  likely than a continuation of the cold into the weekend and beyond.

GFSOPEU12_192_1.png

GFSOPEU12_192_2.png

Two things:

1) The charts you are showing are mild at that timeframe, BUT they scream Major Cold Spell. Look through some of the most legendary cold spells of the past, and this setup was exactly the run up to that.

2) Like @chionomaniac said on one of the previous pages, will we even get to this point? A small tweak here and there, a slightly weaker low, a high just 200 miles farther NW and the cold doesn't even leave, before the new round of amplification hits. Because the models really are firming up on that second round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1