Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
28 minutes ago, al78 said:

Freezing? It is around 18-19C which is below average, but hardly freezing. You don't need to exaggerate to say the SE had had a dreadful second half of June. In contrast when I was in touch with my father up in Salford on Fathers day, he said the soil in his garden was like concrete, hardly a drop of rain up there.

People love to complain about our weather, and make it out to be worse/colder than it is, especially in summer. I cannot understand those people who wear a winter coat when it’s 15-20°C and cloudy/wet in summer and complain it’s freezing. I always think “if you think it’s freezing now, how will you cope in the winter”? If it was the same conditions in winter these people would probably be wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yet if they drove 50 miles east they’d probably be running back and wishing they’d stayed in SAN Francisco. Would rather have 60°F (15°C) and fog than 100°F (38°C) and blazing hot sun.

Give me 62°F and cloud over 100°F+ and sun any day.

Erm. It’s the U.K... Autumn is 11 months of the year!

Yup. Can’t beat a cloudy morning in England! The sun is up north at the moment.

Count yourself lucky. Would rather deal with an Orkney summer and the negative effects that brings (depression) than 40-45 degree heat and all the problems that brings (fire, drought, risk of heat exhaustion, can’t go anywhere without melting etc). At least with an Orkney Summer the depressing gloom and rain would be offset to some degree by the beautiful scenery and long daylight hours.

Mostly daylight hours and sun height/strength in the U.K.

Sorry if I’m being insensitive, but can’t you just put on a thick coat/lots of warm clothing and just suck it up?

I mean I can put on a thick winter duvet and feel hotter than I would do in a 30°C heatwave. I can choose to feel as hot as I want. If I wanted to make it feel like 50°C all I’d have to do is put on a thermal vest, 2 t-shirts, a thick jumper, 2 hoodies and a thick winter coat and it would feel like being in the equator. Easy. On the other hand, keeping cool is more difficult. You can be naked at 30°C and still too hot, and most of the time being naked is not practical, legal or socially acceptable. Thermal comfort isn’t just dictated by the weather. It’s much more to do with clothing. Otherwise polar expeditions wouldn’t work. I don’t get this “it’s too cold to do anything argument”. Just put on a friggin’ jumper for gods sake! It’s not like it’s sub zero. You can still go out and do stuff if it’s a bit cool.

Yes, the site has a massive cold bias. Always has done, always will do. I’m unusual in that I’m a weather enthusiast but my weather preferences are for what most weather enthusiasts would call quite boring conditions: In summer I like a happy medium, not a washout, but not a heatwave either, a good mix of rain, sun, thunder and comfortable temperatures in the low twenties/high teens. In winter the milder the better. I actually love a mild, wet, stormy winter, can’t stand frost or ice. I do love snow as well though, but I don’t like cold weather, I’ll admit that. 

As my weather presences in my profile state: I like it “not too hot and not too cold”.

That said the majority of users on here seem to prefer 22°C+ and sunshine in summer, with quite a few preferring 30°C over 20°C.

Slight over exaggeration? It’s currently 17°C in London, November daytime average in London is around 12°C, more like an early October day in London I’d say. If 17°C is winter coat weather for you, then how do you manage in winter, when it’s only 7°C? I would boil in a winter coat at 17°C. I’ve never worn a winter coat in anything higher than about 12°C. Never. I can’t understand anyone who does.

Not a surprise it’s cool and damp as you live right next to Wimbledon!

Yes but it’s rubbish, can’t do any sports well in multiple layers! Ever tried running in a jumper or coat? 

As for being too hot, I can say the same ‘just suck it up’ even on a day that’s 30C it’s only usually above 25C for 6 or 7hrs at a time. Plenty of inside places with aircon etc. Works both ways. My intolerance to cold is partly due to physical limitations but it’s always surprises me how people struggle in temperatures just a handful of degrees above room temperature. 

3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

People love to complain about our weather, and make it out to be worse/colder than it is, especially in summer. I cannot understand those people who wear a winter coat when it’s 15-20°C and cloudy/wet in summer and complain it’s freezing. I always think “if you think it’s freezing now, how will you cope in the winter”? If it was the same conditions in winter these people would probably be wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Always makes me laugh when people write this, I can remember when I was in Sicily in October, was about 25-27C all the locals were wearing jumpers, by early evening the coats were out, women had hats and scarfs on (more for fashion) but certainly didn’t look warm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

this thread is priceless...its a thread to moan or ramp ..yet people moan when people do exactly that 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Each person feels the cold or heat differently..

But it's approaching mid summer and we've had countless grey days with mid teens temps and gusty winds. It can feel cold at times IMO. Then again, I love mid to high 30s heat (and the cold lovers would be moaning then so each to their own )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
13 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Yes but it’s rubbish, can’t do any sports well in multiple layers! Ever tried running in a jumper or coat? 

As for being too hot, I can say the same ‘just suck it up’ even on a day that’s 30C it’s only usually above 25C for 6 or 7hrs at a time. Plenty of inside places with aircon etc. Works both ways. My intolerance to cold is partly due to physical limitations but it’s always surprises me how people struggle in temperatures just a handful of degrees above room temperature. 

If you can say "suck it up" to people who find the heat uncomfortable, I can say "suck it up" to people like you who complain about the cold. You can always put more layers on if you feel cold, you can't take layers off to cool down above a certain temperature. There was a small woman in the bridge club who claimed it was too cold when she was sat near a thermometer reading 25C. Ok, she might have had some underlying health condition, but for goodness sake, if you are at the extreme end of range of temperatures you find comfortable, then it is up to you to dress properly to allow for that, not up to everyone else in the room to suffer.

Aircon is useless if you have physical work to do outside.

• Like 3

Posted

oh I can’t imagine what the moans thread was like back in Winter 2019/20. Utter chaos I’d reckon. As for summer, there’s still plenty of time for a resurgence in the weather up to September. The likes of 2016 and 2020 show that warm/hot conditions is possible. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
11 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

this thread is priceless...its a thread to moan or ramp ..yet people moan when people do exactly that 

People moan about people moaning about conditions that they prefer, it is absolutely outrageous that anyone could have different preferences after all.

Posted
24 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

I laughed at this the other day too LOL!! I suspect they are just trolling ...

Posted

No moans from me how June has panned out in the Lake District. Well below average rainfall. Only one notably wet 24 hr period last Thursday- Friday. Many days of fine warm weather. Last 3 days have been great maxes in the 22 to 24 degree range! Whilst no real heat. Overall one of the best summer months of the last few years here. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

I sometimes wonder if it would be better to have a general weather chat thread that is separate from the moans thread (there's no such thing if I want to discuss UK wide rather than regional weather), as this thread can be like wading through a self-loathing thread if you want to discuss something about UK weather.

Posted

Not a bad day here today. A sunny morning, some convective cloud built up (a few showers to my west) which then parted again for this area.

Temp reached 23.6C, which is about 3C above average. Tomorrow looks warm too.

It looks a bit rubbish for the east though. Unusual to be over 6C warmer here than in London in summer, and more like 9C warmer than East Anglia. It has generally seemed a bit poor here recently, but not as bad as it seems to have been further east in Southern/SE England.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Got to say this Summer is so far proving to be a normal UK summer, nothing of the extremes of the last several years, no debilitating heat wave and no debilitating flooding, for me working in nothing at all to moan about, outlook looks much the same so a very happy chappie for once!☺️......and certain folk say i moan a lot...

_119143362_vanc.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The country has recorded its highest ever temperature - 49.6C (121.3F) - for the third day in a row.

Now that weather is to moan about.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Today I've learnt that if you don't like cool, grey summer days you can put a few layers on and it'll feel just like Tahiti. 

• Like 3

Posted

The second half of June has been pretty poor actually. A good few days now without much sun or completely dull since the middle of the month. It’s a shame, when compared to the lovely warm or hot first half. 

I’m hopeful for a return to some 23-28c sunny weather soon. This current dull fest is depressing for the longest days of the year.

• Like 1

Posted

In mid December the sun is at its weakest and we have about 8 hours daylight each day. In mid June the sun is at its strongest and we have about 17 hours daylight each day. And yet this must be the only country in the entire Northern Hemisphere that managed to have a Summer solstice which was COLDER than the Winter solstice. Utterly farcical climate.

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

In mid December the sun is at its weakest and we have about 8 hours daylight each day. In mid June the sun is at its strongest and we have about 17 hours daylight each day. And yet this must be the only country in the entire Northern Hemisphere that managed to have a Summer solstice which was COLDER than the Winter solstice. Utterly farcical climate.

There was cold weather in December last year. A few mild days in the middle and leading up to Christmas, but early on, during Christmas, was quite cold frosty and dry. I remember the London temp around Christmas Day being around 2-3c. Even a very mild December day will still feel cooler than a cold summers day because of the humidity and strength of the sun.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
5 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Well that's not right is it. Why post nonsense? Where today was colder than the coldest spot in the Winter just gone at the solstice?

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Always makes me laugh when people write this, I can remember when I was in Sicily in October, was about 25-27C all the locals were wearing jumpers, by early evening the coats were out, women had hats and scarfs on (more for fashion) but certainly didn’t look warm. 

What a bunch of softies! They wouldn’t last five minutes in the U.K.! Mind you, they probably think I’m soft for wearing shorts in 17°C weather, and complaining that it’s too hot if it goes above 23°C. I’d probably stick out like a sore thumb over there, with my pale skin and wearing my shorts and t-shirt while everyone else is dressed for a sub-zero winters day.

1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Fair enough about not being able to do sports properly. Even so, I find it hard to believe you’d be cold for long because when you do active sports (such as running) your circulation soon gets up and you feel warm. Why do you think footballers can wear shorts and t-shirts in the winter without dying of hypothermia?

As for aircon, a lot of people don’t have it, because it is too costly to install/run and not worth it for the few days each year when they might need it. Also a lot of people have to go to work outside or in places with no aircon. It’s no surprise to me that people struggle in temperatures a few degrees higher than room temperature. If a room is heated to 25°C then most people would complain it’s too warm, so if it’s that temperature outside and they are moving (circulation) and it’s sunny as well then no wonder people feel hot.

29 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Today I've learnt that if you don't like cool, grey summer days you can put a few layers on and it'll feel just like Tahiti. 

It will!!! Try it!  It works!! It also works in winter too for cold! Wish it was colder in the winter? Just put on a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and sandals and go outside! It’ll feel like it’s -30°C!

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Well that's not right is it. Why post nonsense? Where today was colder than the coldest spot in the Winter just gone at the solstice?

It was in some places down South. I clearly remember the BBC weather man putting the contrasting temps up on screen. Something like 13.5c in December and 13.4c in June.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It was in some places down South. I clearly remember the BBC weather man putting the contrasting temps up on screen. Something like 13.5c in December and 13.4c in June.

Correct 

Posted
2 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It probably still felt colder in December though due to the wind, dampness and weak sun. A mild December day at 12/13°C never feels that mild because it’s usually caused by a tropical maritime airmass, which brings cloudy, windy dank weather. It’s the reason Winter 2019/20 never felt that mild to me, because although it featured a lot of double digit days it never felt very pleasant in the wind and rain. The wind always has much more of a chill to it in winter than in summer, regardless of temp/wind speed. A 13°C day in June usually doesn’t feel that bad in comparison as there will be less windchill, likely to be dampness around and even if it’s cloudy the strong sun can still make a difference to the feel of the ambient temperature. Of course we are more acclimatised to heat in summer, so it’s not so straightforward.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Correct 

Very likely to happen in a maritime climate. June 2021 will still end up being a much warmer month than December though, by about 10°C. Average CET for December is about 5°C, average CET for June is about 14°C. That’s a big difference. Our climate is not as seasonless as some people think.

• Like 1

Posted

This piece perfectly illustrates the weather in the south at the moment...