Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
24 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Few shots taken in the nice day here, which one is the best would you say? 

IMG_20210701_135723.jpg

IMG_20210701_135708.jpg

IMG_20210701_135749.jpg

I like that one!

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes I agree. Last July was dreadful. Only two days above 20°C! It can’t get any worse than that. Strangely though last summer wasn’t too bad in the south. Seems it’s the north’s turn to get the better weather this summer. Let’s be honest the south-east has done a lot better than the north in summer in recent years.

I'm "happy" to trade for a year :-) Enjoy it guys!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
38 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I'm "happy" to trade for a year :-) Enjoy it guys!

Don’t worry beka..I have a good feeling about July..not the first part..but thereafter.. for sure, I’m not the oracle.. ..but I follow the mean charts closely and I don’t have a negative agenda!   

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I find the Munich climate quite attractive.  The main snag is too much dull weather in the winter, but otherwise I don't see much to complain about.  Being at 400-500m asl they also don't tend to get excessive heat in the summer, I've seen it in the low to mid-30s at Munich airport a few times but not 40+.

1200px-Frauenkirche_and_Neues_Rathaus_Mu
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

They even have a webcam at one of the tallest hotels (which isn't always functioning, but it's live most of the time) which I use to spy on their daily weather.  They've had quite a few hefty thunderstorms recently, too.

https://camera.deckchair.com/the-westin-grand-munich/v/5f6a7d3f009e0100017f9998

Back home, and here in Lincoln the sun is out today, it feels quite pleasant out there.  Still the possibility of some thunder on Sunday judging by the model outputs.  Tuesday looks like being unseasonably wet and windy for the time of year though.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Was optimistic of a nice sunny day today, but the weather deteriorated through the afternoon and it's back to heavy overcast, light rain and lights on indoors.

Edited by al78

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Done 360 miles today, started at just after dawn, all day, North west, north east and midlands, blue clear skies, lovely sunshine, nice breeze, warm, quite warm but not to hot so comfortable, suspect a lot of folk will have nothing to moan about a perfect summers day! Why oh why want anything hotter? For me that is a question i'm still trying to figure out. A very British Summer so far, lovely after what we have all gone through in the last 16 months

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes I agree. Last July was dreadful. Only two days above 20°C! It can’t get any worse than that. Strangely though last summer wasn’t too bad in the south. Seems it’s the north’s turn to get the better weather this summer. Let’s be honest the south-east has done a lot better than the north in summer in recent years.

Last June and July were poor in London also. I remember the first few days of June being hot and sunny with clear blue skies, which was basically a continuation of the long dry sunny spell from April.

It was a lovely spring and early summer, but the dull cloudy weather took hold from mid june, and we only had a few hot sunny days again in late june. Had to then wait until the last day of july for a two week heatwave, which gave us the summers best weather.

While august wasn't poor, and we had lots of hot weather for the first half, the second part was dull and cloudy.

We had a few storms, but it was hit and miss in London.

Posted
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Done 360 miles today, started at just after dawn, all day, North west, north east and midlands, blue clear skies, lovely sunshine, nice breeze, warm, quite warm but not to hot so comfortable, suspect a lot of folk will have nothing to moan about a perfect summers day! Why oh why want anything hotter? For me that is a question i'm still trying to figure out. A very British Summer so far, lovely after what we have all gone through in the last 16 months

Way too much dull and cloudy days.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Way too much dull and cloudy days.

I actually agree, in London every time i've been it has for me been surprisingly cool and welcoming!....but that's my preference of course. Many areas i've been have been fantastic, really lovely good old fashioned British weather, nothing to hot nothing to cold. I'm finding it one of the best summers for quite a few years.

• Like 2

Posted
53 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Best day in well over two weeks here now. Pretty sunny and temps up to 23C.

At least one of us mananged it!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Which bit of the midlands were you in? Here in Dudley the sun finally made an appearance at 3.32pm. Nice now but otherwise dull and cloudy all day. 

Posted
52 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Which bit of the midlands were you in? Here in Dudley the sun finally made an appearance at 3.32pm. Nice now but otherwise dull and cloudy all day. 

Nottingham, then towards Derby, unbroken sunshine.

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Hopefully with the showery forecast we can increase the number of thunder days this year during the 1st 10 days of the month.  Just 1 ⛈ so far

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
57 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Not very warm across much of Germany this evening
image.thumb.png.8892f7bdb7ee33602f781dad9887bd1c.png

Appears it wasn't yesterday either, so not just the UK getting poor conditions at least.

One facet of the Munich climate that I imagine could be annoying is that they sometimes get a cold dull wet day following the thundery breakdown at the end of a heatwave.  Philip Eden (in his 1995 book Weatherwise) mentioned that this also happens in the Dordogne region in France, and it's probably quite common around the edge of the Alps generally.  A weak low can develop over the Alps giving slow-moving areas of rain.  Further north in Germany they're less prone to that, but more prone to cool cloudy stuff off the North Atlantic.  Today the pressure charts indicate that both processes are in operation keeping the majority of Germany cool and cloudy.  There's a weak low to the NE bringing an occluded front, and another weak low over the Alps.

It does look like returning to being brighter and warmer with some showers and thunderstorms for much of Germany over the next few days though.

There were marked examples of dull wet months in Germany when I was growing up, both associated with Atlantic lows getting trapped over central Europe with accompanying fronts, and an Atlantic high with northerlies over the UK - July 2000 and September 2001.  Berlin had just 48% of average sunshine in both months and in September 2001 Munich had just 44% of the average.  As those percentages indicate, though, over much of Germany persistently cloudy weather is comparatively rare in the summer half-year.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

One facet of the Munich climate that I imagine could be annoying is that they sometimes get a cold dull wet day following the thundery breakdown at the end of a heatwave.  Philip Eden (in his 1995 book Weatherwise) mentioned that this also happens in the Dordogne region in France, and it's probably quite common around the edge of the Alps generally.  A weak low can develop over the Alps giving slow-moving areas of rain.  Further north in Germany they're less prone to that, but more prone to cool cloudy stuff off the North Atlantic.  Today the pressure charts indicate that both processes are in operation keeping the majority of Germany cool and cloudy.  There's a weak low to the NE bringing an occluded front, and another weak low over the Alps.

It does look like returning to being brighter and warmer with some showers and thunderstorms for much of Germany over the next few days though.

There were marked examples of dull wet months in Germany when I was growing up, both associated with Atlantic lows getting trapped over central Europe with accompanying fronts, and an Atlantic high with northerlies over the UK - July 2000 and September 2001.  Berlin had just 48% of average sunshine in both months and in September 2001 Munich had just 44% of the average.  As those percentages indicate, though, over much of Germany persistently cloudy weather is comparatively rare in the summer half-year.

Yes it's interesting how certain areas can be prone to particular features. I like the look of the Munich climate overall too, perhaps with a bit more sunshine in winter like you say.
Average maxima ~24C, but with hot spell potential and rainfall averages suggesting plenty of thundery potential.

I increasingly realise that although I often look forward to hot temperatures here due to them being not very common, and sometimes the thunderstorm potential, I wouldn't want to live somewhere that's usually 30C+ in summer. For me those temperatures might work for being near water on holiday, or sitting in the shade, but not for being active outdoors or working.

Another nice day here today, actually near full sunshine after early low cloud, despite cumulus congestus build-up just to my east. Max 22.7C so a degree or so cooler than yesterday. Actually still a bit above my ideal temperature for working outside in the sunshine but a nice summer's day.

Turned out pretty decent, max temps today was 23.8C, so with a 17C dew point it felt pleasant. Only 5.6hrs of sun though. Still it’s nearly 19C now and a nice quiet evening. 

23.8C is the warmest day (by 1.4C) since 25.0C on the 16th June which actually pretty poor. Only two 25C days year to date, can’t remember last time we had stats like that, not even 2007,11,12 as they all multiple 25C’s in spring. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Turned out pretty decent, max temps today was 23.8C, so with a 17C dew point it felt pleasant. Only 5.6hrs of sun though.

Exactly the same temp and sun hours as I recorded. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Turned out pretty decent, max temps today was 23.8C, so with a 17C dew point it felt pleasant. Only 5.6hrs of sun though. Still it’s nearly 19C now and a nice quiet evening. 

23.8C is the warmest day (by 1.4C) since 25.0C on the 16th June which actually pretty poor. Only two 25C days year to date, can’t remember last time we had stats like that, not even 2007,11,12 as they all multiple 25C’s in spring. 

Its the UK . Global Warming free zone. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Kent had a reasonable June and July last year where even London just an hour away was average for much of the time. (First 3rd July was poor though).

This year is slightly different with the SE doing a summer swap mid June with the NW. I have two elderly relatives near Liverpool who really struggled last year where the below par weather just compounded things. This last week has been a godsend for them and I haven't seen or heard them this cheerful for well over a year! For that reason I'm pleased the weather has been good up there.

Not too bad down here today but not looking forward to the poor national outlook. Fingers crossed we don't have a 2007 which also had a reasonable early June before descending to a 10 month Autumn...

I've been to Bavaria 3 times; in December, April and August and they do seem to have an ideal climate although locals told me winter is slowly becoming dull and snowless (we're not the only ones!)

I've not been to Quebec or Ontario but I'd say on paper it's a perfect climate in my continental centered preferences. Snow in Winter, sunny, variable Spring, humid, thundery and warm Summers and short Autumns before white Christmas

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Just checked and we topped the charts with 1.5hrs sun today LOL!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
5 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

Not very warm across much of Germany this evening
image.thumb.png.8892f7bdb7ee33602f781dad9887bd1c.png

Appears it wasn't yesterday either, so not just the UK getting poor conditions at least.

To be honest a lot of Europe doesn't look that warm for the time of year to be honest.

4 hours ago, SummerShower said:

Hopefully with the showery forecast we can increase the number of thunder days this year during the 1st 10 days of the month.  Just 1 ⛈ so far

It's been a really poor year for thunder hasn't it?

• Like 1