Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How cold was it in 1963?

snowy weather

Posted

Hello,

Does anyone have a list of daily temperatures in London for January, February  and March1963?

I'm interested in seeing how cold it got but its really difficult to find this information. Closest I could find is the average temperature for the whole country.

Posted
6 hours ago, snowy weather said:

Hello,

Does anyone have a list of daily temperatures in London for January, February  and March1963?

I'm interested in seeing how cold it got but its really difficult to find this information. Closest I could find is the average temperature for the whole country.

Posted

J H Brazell, London Weather (to 1964), all temperatures degrees F.

Month   Mean   Diff from average Mean max Diff     Mean min  Diff   Highest max  Lowest max Highest min  Lowest min 

Jan 63     29.7            -9.8                      33.1       -10.6       26.4         -8.9          41.9              27.0               36.7                 14.5

Feb 63    32.5            -7.4                      36.1        -8.5        28.9         -6.2          45.3              28.4               34.9                 20.5

Mar 63   44.3            +0.5                     49.8        -0.3         38.7       +1.2           57.0             40.8               46.2                 27.1

Hope this makes sense. Lowest max / min temperatures were on 24th / 25th Jan. Highest max temperature was on 14th March. Brazell quotes a few more dates but not a daily tally. A cold, cold winter which I well remember! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Month   Mean   Diff from average Mean max Diff     Mean min  Diff   Highest max  Lowest max Highest min  Lowest min 

Jan 63     29.7            -9.8                      33.1       -10.6       26.4         -8.9          41.9              27.0               36.7                 14.5

Feb 63    32.5            -7.4                      36.1        -8.5        28.9         -6.2          45.3              28.4               34.9                 20.5

Mar 63   44.3            +0.5                     49.8        -0.3         38.7       +1.2           57.0             40.8               46.2                 27.1

Hope this makes sense. Lowest max / min temperatures were on 24th / 25th Jan. Highest max temperature was on 14th March. Brazell quotes a few more dates but not a daily tally. A cold, cold winter which I well remember! 

Thanks for that, FLT. I, too, remember it well, especially:

The Boxing Day snow and the journey back from Harrow to Bletchley, in a sidecar; the whopping blizzard, at the turn of the year; the daily trek, through the snow, from infants' school, for dinner. And, of course, waking up on a March morning and hearing the trains, for the first time in ages!

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Thank you very much.

Posted

How cold was it in 1963?

simple=chuffing cold pretty solidly from just before Xmas '62 until into March 63

I worked SE of Nottingham with central heating so that was great. However the two buses home to Chesterfield were awful. The surprising fact was that on the weekends I went home every bus ran!

Most of you will have seen the statistics I have posted more than once for RCAF Langar where I worked.

I think the lawn at home was snow covered from late Boxing Day until mid March, from memory.

• Like 1