Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Still falling here. Just cleared the driveway, deep enough to get my 'toy' fired up, the snowblower. Although it was struggling a bit with the heaviness of the snow now until I remembered where the throttle was (I thought it was running slower than I remembered). Perfect snowman consistency now, and almost perfect snowblower chute clogging consistency. 

Overall I'd say that the much maligned XC weather has been on the ball in terms of amount that's fallen (30cm), even if compacted it doesn't measure up to that (15-20cm).

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather in winter

A very benign day here at Port of Ness.Almost wind still,+5c reached...ours is coming by way of wind on Sunday and at points through the coming week and, looking stormy for all around the 27th.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

The wind warning on Sunday is a bit of a surprise, their peak gusts for me are only in the low 40s... unless they're expecting it to strengthen. 

• Like 2

Posted

Had been keeping an eye on tonight, with various charts today showing the possibility of snow showers pushing through the central belt tonight, especially the Western half through to lanarkshire and sure enough the MetO auto data showing this now for tonight... 

Screenshot_20220218_183159_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.0a718d62efd15c6b5a5331edc5593eb8.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

I managed to find my credentials to log in here, and wow... this group wasn't here before, it seems much has changed! 

Onto the weather, classic calm day here on the Isle of Lewis, +5.2°C max at my station, now +2.1°C. Waiting for the band of clouds above us to come down and maybe see some small wintry precipitation.

Seems to be cold tomorrow over most of the mainland...

t2mscot_gp_20.thumb.png.c72ed0293026505e292f7b5864e7a4fe.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Well thats that done with then.. temperature should freeze everything solid overnight and tomorrow looks cold so may get another snaw day out of this winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

Well, made it to Banchory.. Cairn O Mount was closed.. Slug road was pretty bad, had to reverse up for a mile or so as the Transit wouldn't do it forwards... couple of lorries stuck, couple on the A90 jacknifed on the way up too. Quite a day!

20220218_111959.jpg

20220218_130301.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Baffles me that we don't have a legal requirement for vehicles to be fitted with tyres fit for the conditions. It's not as if all season tyres are especially rare these days.

• Like 6

Posted

Well further to my earlier post, shower activity really pepping up out West now. Could be a decent covering overnight 

Screenshot_20220218_213321_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.0ffa97fbaa6fc0ca7562ed40cec3c675.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Well further to my earlier post, shower activity really pepping up out West now. Could be a decent covering overnight 

Screenshot_20220218_213321_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.0ffa97fbaa6fc0ca7562ed40cec3c675.jpg

Here is hoping 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Welcome @Stormchaser17 we are mostly a relaxed bunch it's @Mair Snaw that needs a bit of time on the naughty step on occasions but he should be fine for now after today's snaw in his garden

Thank you for the welcome @Kirkcaldy Weather

Here's to future storms! 

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Baffles me that we don't have a legal requirement for vehicles to be fitted with tyres fit for the conditions. It's not as if all season tyres are especially rare these days.

Yep, I stuck a set of all season tyres on our 15 year old Honda estate when it needed new tyres a couple of years ago. It'll go anywhere it has ground clearance - amazes me when I see expensive nearly new cars sliding around in really quite modest conditions on summer tyres. Same with lorries - either stay off the road or fit appropriate tyres. 

• Like 2

Posted

Snowing right now in Stornoway, but it's a fast thing that's already stopping. 

It gave a nice white veil on cars though. More should be arriving around midnight. 

WRF is seeing something strong coming between Sunday and Monday... 

image.png

Edited by Stormchaser17
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

You've been very restrained! But then there's been f all to get excited about...

I have been haven't i...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

All that ppn out west is losing a lot of intensity (aka the will to live) as it comes east this evening.  A common theme in many winters but recently not so much so.

Frosty out tonight, lots of very slippery surfaces here.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, Snowandrocks said:

Same with lorries - either stay off the road or fit appropriate tyres. 

Or going by some of the video on the news today... just stay off the frickin road in a lorry if there's an Amber/Red wind warning. 

Currently -0.4C, which isn't surprising as it's been half a degree either side of freezing since it started snowing around 6am this morning. Forecast to drop a bit overnight and max out during Saturday at 1C so most of today's snow should survive into Sunday at least. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 6

Posted

Everything covered again on what was just wet ground a short time ago

IMG_20220218_233928.thumb.jpg.5efda54b06883e22eda57b6949485743.jpg

Looks like the showers are starting to gear up to come in almost due east. 

Met auto forecast still looking decent, not that it's amazingly accurate but better to be showing this than anything else 

Screenshot_20220218_234159_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.e8d4e06e740775aeeaeb0e21823b00d8.jpg

• Like 6