Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

At the time of my last visit to the weather station console in my study, Sunday I think it was, I was celebrating clear blue skies and sunshine. Since then, the sunshine mainly prevailed with Monday starting frosty and sunny until mid-morning when a band of cloud was blown from south to north through the middle of the day and then it cleared again mid-afternoon with sunshine through to sunset, while yesterday started frosty with sunshine, which lasted until lunchtime when the cloud started rolling in under a front from the west and has remained. No frost nor sunshine today though, and an overcast morning has given way to a wet afternoon. Spring is over. Ruined. I give up on the weather. That’s it. Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I think I’ll go and eat worms. Etc.

High temperature for today was 8.5⁰C at 09:50 up from a low of 6.0⁰C at 00:09, minimum humidity was 79% at 05:34 and now 86%, wind is 6 to 16mph southerly with a maximum gust of 24mph at 10:07, pressure is 1005.8hPa rising slowly, there’s been 2.8mm of rainfall today and 5.0mm in the last 24 hours, cloud cover is 8/8 and the dew point is at 6⁰C.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Where's everyone gone???

I think we all just got bored with the weather.

Grey, breezy, chilly but largely dry here today. 

• Like 4

Posted

Just for the record on here, Monday morning at -2.6C was my 31st air frost.

That's as exciting as it gets.

• Like 5

Posted

Another fairly  breezy day here a bit of sun around midday and it felt warmer but then clouded over in the afternoon with a  fairly cool breeze.Rain started in late afternoon and there is currently light rain with a moderate breeze at 4c

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
7 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

I think we all just got bored with the weather.

Grey, breezy, chilly but largely dry here today. 

So bored that one of us is threatening to eat worms. No, leave the worms alone! 

• Like 2

Posted
20 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

So bored that one of us is threatening to eat worms. No, leave the worms alone! 

Shluuuurp!!

Too late.

• Like 1

Posted

Aye, Vlad The Inhaler.

Today was a bit back to front compared to recent days in that it started dull but got brighter, ending up quite nice really. Temperature rose from a low of 4.3⁰C at midnight to a high of 11.7⁰C at 16:10 and now 5.7⁰C, humidity fell from a high of 94% at 01:31 to a low of 75% at 16:08 and now 83%, wind 2 to 5mph southerly with a maximum gust of 19mph at 15:50, pressure is 1007.0hPa falling slowly, there was 1.0mm of rainfall today and 2.6mm in the last 24 hours, cloud cover went from 8/8 to 2/8 over the piece and the dew point is at 3⁰C.

• Like 1

Posted

Another very windy day not too cold at 9c maximum so only strength of wind made it feel colder.

Talking point of every farmer I speak to is price of fertiliser and diesel  but we all in the same boat and will just have to muddle through an experience we never thought we"d have. Old college friend who is a part time sales rep for fertiliser said he had a terrible  Wednesday as price and availability of fertiliser was released and then withdrawn  30 mnutes later  by firms before he had time to contact all the farmers phoning and then ask them if they were prepared to pay over £1000/tonne for it. Wha a crazy world we are in just now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
9 hours ago, Northernlights said:

What a crazy world we are in just now

But as much as we might be worried about prices, and I nearly crashed the car in shock at seeing the price of diesel at 175.9p at the local garage the other morning (up 10p overnight), at least we aren't having to dodge bombs and rockets. Heartbreaking scenes coming out of Ukraine at times, and all because of one idiot who's completely detached from reality. 

Kind of a meh week here weather wise, a bit of everything really but none of it that noteworthy. Possibility of yet another cold spring coming up? 

gfsnh-0-192.png gfsnh-1-192.png

gfsnh-0-270.png gfsnh-1-270.png

gfsnh-0-360.png gfsnh-1-360.png

Much as I love cold, snowy weather I think I could do with something warmer now. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

But as much as we might be worried about prices, and I nearly crashed the car in shock at seeing the price of diesel at 175.9p at the local garage the other morning (up 10p overnight), at least we aren't having to dodge bombs and rockets. Heartbreaking scenes coming out of Ukraine at times, and all because of one idiot who's completely detached from reality. 

Kind of a meh week here weather wise, a bit of everything really but none of it that noteworthy. Possibility of yet another cold spring coming up? 

gfsnh-0-192.png gfsnh-1-192.png

gfsnh-0-270.png gfsnh-1-270.png

gfsnh-0-360.png gfsnh-1-360.png

Much as I love cold, snowy weather I think I could do with something warmer now. 

Yes as much as I want spring too Scottish springs were always cold in the past and ever since I saw how cold the Arctic got last Novmber/December I have always though a cold spring was on the cards especially if we did not share that cold in the winter months. You are very right too we are not being bombed a bit of snow is the least of our worries. Our average turnout date for cattle is 20th April but many times just a few days later there has been snow over the last 50 years.

• Like 3

Posted

Had some rain this morning mostly showery in nature but all cleared quite a nice afternoon now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Aye times are indeed getting interesting, are they not. Annoying me to hell how the world talks big then melts in the face of real trouble and all standing back to watch Ukraine being flattened. A whole new generation of hate now, and no wonder.

I now wish I hadnt moved when I did. It might have been cold and wild and lonely up there but at least I'd still have an open fire and space to grow veg - down here I've got gas heating (first time in my life and I was so happy!! ) and no space at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Very busy day yesterday  in the afternoon with a snap cattle inspection of paperwork and ear tags.Weather more or less fitted in with a dry morning but breezy. The early afternoon very wet and breezy while in shed inspecting passports and records while it dried up in mid  afternoon to run all cattle through race for ear tag inspection. Maximum of 9c

To add to the interest in the morning some of the wintering sheep thought they would impersonate Houdini by climbing a dyke and going walkabout.

The highlight of the afternoon during the wet spell  at 2.30pm was watching a badger scurrying into garage under the car. They are everywhere just now even tunnelling into small bales of hay in the dutch barn.

Currently breezy 7c and bright

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Looking forward to the slightly milder and pleasant spell later this week. Might be time for big winter jacket to be put aside for a while (will no doubt need it again for one last cold snap).

The solstice and the clocks going forward will hopefully herald some nicer, milder weather, if still with the risk of a lingering chill at times. It can get frustrating at this time of year with the brighter nights not quite coinciding with a rise in temperatures.

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Very busy day yesterday  in the afternoon with a snap cattle inspection of paperwork and ear tags.Weather more or less fitted in with a dry morning but breezy. The early afternoon very wet and breezy while in shed inspecting passports and records while it dried up in mid  afternoon to run all cattle through race for ear tag inspection. Maximum of 9c

To add to the interest in the morning some of the wintering sheep thought they would impersonate Houdini by climbing a dyke and going walkabout.

The highlight of the afternoon during the wet spell  at 2.30pm was watching a badger scurrying into garage under the car. They are everywhere just now even tunnelling into small bales of hay in the dutch barn.

Currently breezy 7c and bright

I remember in the vaccination queue at Peebles Leisure Centre in the autumn two farming guys chatting - "there are more badgers in the fields than sheep", was the enduring quote.  Wet breesy overnight/morning Sun out now 10.4C. Shan't be needing a hat for the dog adventure in a sec.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, shuggee said:

I remember in the vaccination queue at Peebles Leisure Centre in the autumn two farming guys chatting - "there are more badgers in the fields than sheep", was the enduring quote.  Wet breesy overnight/morning Sun out now 10.4C. Shan't be needing a hat for the dog adventure in a sec.

WE have numerous signs of badgers everywhere . our dog barks every night as she hears them pass the house and when she gets out late at night she is always listnening and sniffing the air and quite often the hairs  on her back rise and she growls.

Taking part in SASA survey for Scottish Government in the next week or two to put across my message that they are wiping out all ground living wildlife be it oyster catchers ,hares or hedgehogs. They are coming to photograph all the evidence I have.

• Like 5

Posted

Decent day in the East Neuk with some sunny spells, stayed dry too. Fresh wind off the sea took the edge of the temperature but felt pleasant in the sun.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

No badgers just here but the mice have realised that our resident mouser is gone so are coming into the kitchen and other cupboards with impunity. The 2 other cats are either senile or too dumb to do more than sit and watch. Also the bloody gulls are starting to get noisy.

A very mild day today, been busy outside refilling firewood sheds for next winter. Getting some of the last dead elm now - up till last summer we still had a few survivors in the village but they're gone now.

Are any other folk having conversations about the possibility of needing to help refugees?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

We had a stomp up Dumyat today, looking forward to getting out onto some bigger hills when it's warmer. 

FB_IMG_1647210103150.thumb.jpg.0b380146255d7695bc1e722471095320.jpg

FB_IMG_1647210096631.jpg

• Like 8