Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

Worst flooding here since 2016 and could surpass that if things continue as they are.

This is the A944 at Sauchen...

Could contain: Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Road, Ground, Outdoors, Land, Nature

Could contain: Road, Tarmac, Freeway, Highway, Water, Outdoors, Bird, Animal

• Like 9

Posted
50 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Worst flooding here since 2016 and could surpass that if things continue as they are.

Could contain: Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Road, Ground, Outdoors, Land, Nature

Oh dear,

That stretch of road was fairly water free around 5am. I'm starting to wonder if I will get home tonight.

The Amber weather warning has now been extended until 9pm 

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Still raining here too but not quite the same intensity as earlier. Auchterhouse weather up towards the Sidlaws now shows a total of 86.7mms since the early hours of yesterday. One thing that I have noticed here is that most (not all) of the drains had been cleared of leaves so the city roads at least are not as bad as on other occasions. To be honest though I have not been far so that may not be the case everywhere. Edit. Shouldn't have said that about the intensity. It has come back on heavier again with a gusty wind accompanying it. 

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
43 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Oh dear,

That stretch of road was fairly water free around 5am. I'm starting to wonder if I will get home tonight.

The Amber weather warning has now been extended until 9pm 

Haven't heard of any flooding problems on the Kemnay to Tillifourrie road, so that may be an option for you. Then again Kintore to Kemnay can flood in places and road through Kemnay is frequently bad in wet weather. 

I'll keep an eye on Fubar, hoping my wife can get home from Keith in a bit too. I certainly made the right decision to stay home. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Wet here with gusty winds from the e-se, 21mm rain so far, stream in bottom fields has burst its banks but not as bad here as in Aberdeenshire. On the plus side the new  pond is finally filling up

Could contain: Pond, Outdoors, Water, Nature, Land, Ditch, Swamp

• Like 7

Posted

Hope everyone is staying safe and dry. Luckily I’m on a day off today as I was getting underfloor insulation sprayed but I have a friend who had to get into Aberdeen for a radiotherapy appointment who said A93 is bad. The only place I’m going this afternoon is Tesco to get groceries then it’s back to sit in my cozy house and ignore the rain battering off the front windows.

Stats from my PSW say 51.05mm of rain fallen since midnight on top of at least 43.94mm yesterday but thanks to a blockage in early hours of yesterday which I didn’t notice until lunchtime, I don’t have the true rainfall figure for yesterday.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The A90 at Stracathro in Angus. Don't think many will get through that Southbound carriageway.

Could contain: Flood, Water, Car, Vehicle, Transportation

• Like 8

Posted

@ScepticalRecent Fubar posts suggest route through Kemnay to Alford is passable, probably coming off A96 at Port Elphinstone though by the sounds of it. Reports of potholes appearing in many roads too, so take care.

SEPA have issued a severe flood alert for the Don at Kemnay, possibly other areas too, suggesting it might get higher than it did in 2016. We lived in Kemnay then and had a very sleepless night as our house narrowly avoided being flooded. Many of our neighbours weren't so lucky so let's hope the flood defences that went in afterwards work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Norrance said:

The A90 at Stracathro in Angus. Don't think many will get through that Southbound carriageway.

Could contain: Flood, Water, Car, Vehicle, Transportation

Apparently it’s moving again, one of my colleagues lives opposite the service station so been watching the goings on. Fire engine arrived around 11.30 to start pumping water away

• Like 5

Posted

Things not looking great for Ballater again with water already flowing through the town and still quite a lag before peak flow. 

It's still raining here but much lighter now, meaning the burn in our garden is dropping slowly, the trusty bamboo cane marker now high and dry. Will definitely be upgrading a few pipes come the summer though as things were a bit too close for comfort. 

A 4 inch drain is running at full bore out of this area but just can't keep up with the water flowing overland from the surrounding ground. 

Could contain: Shelter, Outdoors, Nature, Slate, Plant, Car, Garden, Walkway, Water, Pond

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

@ScepticalRecent Fubar posts suggest route through Kemnay to Alford is passable, probably coming off A96 at Port Elphinstone though by the sounds of it. Reports of potholes appearing in many roads too, so take care.

SEPA have issued a severe flood alert for the Don at Kemnay, possibly other areas too, suggesting it might get higher than it did in 2016. We lived in Kemnay then and had a very sleepless night as our house narrowly avoided being flooded. Many of our neighbours weren't so lucky so let's hope the flood defences that went in afterwards work. 

Cheers for the heads up. 👍 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Cheers for the heads up. 👍 

No problem, hope you get home safely. Your post this morning made up my mind about trying to get to Westhill or not, so glad I didn't go, think most of my colleagues who did go in went home early anyway. Wife got home from Keith safely too, but it was an interesting journey for her.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

SEPA "We are seeing significant impacts from rivers in parts of Aberdeenshire & Angus. 7 severe flood warnings are live in Kintore, Kemnay, Inverurie, Ballater and Aberdeen (Dee), Brechin and Finavon & Tannadice." 

Thankful that it has finally eased off here in East Lothian.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Edited by Jo Farrow
dundee flood warnings
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Quinach said:

It's not looking great is it? 

it's just not letting up 😞 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Wow - some incredible images, so surreal to see the A90 like that and Ballater video shows the deluge well.

In Auld Reekie folks still confuse normal cars with Bond Cars. 🤦‍♂️

Could contain: Water, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Traffic Light, Light, Outdoors, Person, Nature

• Like 5

Posted

This is perhaps not the right time.. but is TOORP still a thing (I'm older than my profile suggests!)

I still use that acronym in other places.. but remember it was invented here 😄 

• Like 2

Posted

Ha ! Yes Snoozi - TOORP and TOORPing I think will always be a thing.. the GFS being spewed out 4 times a day and 2 of those not being very good makes TOORP a certainly. Am not sure who is credited with inventing the phrase possibly @LomondSnowstorm

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Red warning from SEPA for NE Scotland,  It is still raining over Grampian, not quite as hard but there is so much water about. Huge amounts of standing water, flooded roads and rails with rising rivers too. Amber rain warning @metoffice til 9pm. Usually they would tie up but I suppose the main rain has fallen now and it is the water on the ground which is causing the impacts, into the night

more details on how this red was put together https://twitter.com/DaveThroup/status/1593650373063069698

Could contain: Fruit, Produce, Food, Plant, Land, Outdoors, Nature, Avocado, Rainforest, Vegetation

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted

A bit of digital fun today bought a cow and calf  from an online sale at Thainstone on the phone. Surreal moment. Have used the laptop before.  Bought at 2.30pm and home here at 6.00pm. Some technology  advances really received a boost from the pandemic

Float driver told me he had to do a detour at Huntly as A96 flooded. He is going home to Portsoy this evening so should be OK on coast road. Had some rain today but still no drains running yet. A lot of this flooding is probably due to runoff as subsoils very dry.

• Like 8

Posted

For today alone, Tornahaish near Corgarff recorded 92mm of rain by 17.50. 

Also, Braemar and Aboyne had their wettest November day on record.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

Stopped in Forfar maccy d's just now, A90 is open southbound but down to 1 Lane, was a few miles of traffic this morning on the way up, a Saab was stuck right in the middle.. first job was inside 🙂 2nd job was on a driveway.. soaked to the skin, and battling the wind too. Customer told me she didnt need it for a couple of weeks 😖. A92 was shut this morning too so had to be a bit creative, hope its OK now. Just wanna get home and dry..

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

A bit of digital fun today bought a cow and calf  from an online sale at Thainstone on the phone. Surreal moment. Have used the laptop before.  Bought at 2.30pm and home here at 6.00pm. Some technology  advances really received a boost from the pandemic

Float driver told me he had to do a detour at Huntly as A96 flooded. He is going home to Portsoy this evening so should be OK on coast road. Had some rain today but still no drains running yet. A lot of this flooding is probably due to runoff as subsoils very dry.

You can get anything on Amazon Prime in the North-East these days !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
12 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

River Tay this afternoon...

Could contain: Water, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Bird, Animal

That is whale-ly incredible! 🐳

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1