Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

As i suspected the cairngorms soaked up all that snaw...one tiny shower has got through but on the radar its passed to the north west of me by about 5 miles...😂😂

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

Have never seen a Parhelion here before, also ice crystals in the atmosphere - totally surreal stuff!

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Sky, Winter, Snow

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Weather, Car, Sky, Flare, Sunlight, Winter, Ice, Snow

Could contain: Tree, Plant, Fir, Conifer, Outdoors, Weather, Nature

Only seen that once in this country, Christmas Day morning 2010, crossing the Avon valley in Warwickshire, think it was -19c

• Like 6

Posted
18 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Boiler sorted. Frozen condensate outlet and that has never happened before in the 13 years we’ve been here. Saw no higher than -1 on the car today. Whilst the lack of snow in these parts is disappointing, it really has been an especially cold spell of weather and the view from the back window just felt like we were deep in a cold winter. 
Could contain: Weather, Outdoors, Nature, Shelter, Building, Architecture, Fog, Plant

Think what's made it more remarkable the fact considering mostly how warm it been all year now we have all of this ok not much snow here but been brilliant for cold few more days of it at least

Edited by NUT
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
14 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Latest charts seem to be hinting at back to cold (just not as cold) after a very short milder blip Sunday into Monday. GFS 12Z has snow appearing again by Tuesday for here and ECM has sleet and cold temps. 

Yes, North of the Central belt the highest temps look to be around 5C on Monday with colder air returning in the evening with any precipitation on Sunday at least starting off as snow away from the coasts. Things seem to be firming up a bit about this.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I find this super interesting as its making me think of something I've heard of very rarely probably only in the most severe cold spells like 2010 a mixture of snow and fog probably could call it "snog" 🤣

I'm wondering if what you saw is a blend of Ice fog and freezing fog

"Ice fog is a type of fog consisting of fine ice crystals suspended in the air. It occurs only in cold areas of the world, as water droplets suspended in the air can remain liquid down to minus 40 degrees.

More common than an ice fog is a freezing fog. A freezing fog occurs when liquid fog droplets freeze to surfaces, forming white soft or hard rime. If there is a very light wind on a day with freezing fog, the wind can blow the droplets in one particular direction. As a result, small spikes of ice can grow into the wind on objects like trees and fences.The freezing fog can make roadways very slippery and dangerous. The danger is compounded by the poor visibility that accompanies the fog." 

FogBow2-150x150.jpg
WXGUYS.SSEC.WISC.EDU

Each year about 700 fatalities occur in the United States as a result of traffic accidents during fog. A combination of high speed and low visibility is often to blame. A small patch of fog contributed to a fatal multi-car …...

That's really interesting, thank you. It was definitely quite bizarre, I was out for a walk an hour before this and when I came back my hair was soaked lol, so there's definitely a lot of moisture in the air.

It hasn't got above -3C all day here.

Edited by NorthernSnow23
  • Like 5

Posted

She's a lady caller who pops in ocassionally on skis to check in on my cats. She's married to Fred Flintsnow :santa-emoji:

• Like 8