Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

Just standard winter weather really for these parts.. nights little below freezing days above freezing odd v light wintery shower..becoming milder n then a borefest high moving in may get a few frosts from that. 

• Like 8

Posted

Finally got some blue sky and sunshine after a thoroughly miserable morning of rain/sleet/snow.

Currently 2.2c with the highest temperature so far today being 2.7c around 3am.

Temperatures dropped around 6am to near freezing with result that the remains of the overnight sleet/snow froze into a sheet of ice.  The morning's precipitation has just made it even more slippy - not surprised there are plenty of warnings out for icy roads.  

At least the winds have died down, just a gentle NW breeze now.

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Grass, Plant, Ice, Vegetation, Moss, Snow

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Northerlys just don't pack the same punch anymore , reckon armt least 4c higher than it would have been 40 years ago, lack of sea ice around Svalbard and Barents sea not helping, pish 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Absolutely nothing here other than a light dusting overnight into Tuesday which is now gone. There hasn't really been a decent snowy spell here since Feb 21.

• Like 6

Posted

D&G council seem to have had a bad few days with regard to gritting in our patch (try harder Garry!), including the Lockerbie to Eskdalemuir bus sliding off the road.  Fortunately it was the mid-morning rather than schooltime trip, so bus was quiet.  Nevertheless, driver in shock.  Drove up to East Neuk yesterday pm for a funeral today, with only 'hazard' being few flakes of snow West Linton area.  Sadness of today's event somewhat lifted by the glorious dry weather here in Elie.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
37 minutes ago, dryfie said:

D&G council seem to have had a bad few days with regard to gritting in our patch (try harder Garry!), including the Lockerbie to Eskdalemuir bus sliding off the road.  Fortunately it was the mid-morning rather than schooltime trip, so bus was quiet.  Nevertheless, driver in shock.  Drove up to East Neuk yesterday pm for a funeral today, with only 'hazard' being few flakes of snow West Linton area.  Sadness of today's event somewhat lifted by the glorious dry weather here in Elie.

The roads are a joke. I have been south of the border recently, borders, south lanarlshire and up north most recently. The potholes are horrific compared to every other council region. Genuine tyre killers on almost all roads often including main routes.

Weather wise, now that i’m back in the tropical south it was feeling toasty today at 4.5c in strong sunshine. Some shaded back roads are lethal, wee covering of snow left. 
Southern uplands looking resplendent, (proper) snowline 350m.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Those of you that have wood burning stoves.. what type of wood do you burn? Trying to source hardwood but really not sure what is best for burning to length of burn etc.. also anybody use these heat logs that i keep seeing? If so any good.?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
41 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

Those of you that have wood burning stoves.. what type of wood do you burn? Trying to source hardwood but really not sure what is best for burning to length of burn etc.. also anybody use these heat logs that i keep seeing? If so any good.?

I Only burn hard wood on mine, tried soft wood once and my burner devoured it like kindling! Mine is a multi-fuel so i also use smokeless coal when its 'ticking' over or to 'keep it in' over night. hard wood burns hotter and burns longer imo just my tuppence worth 👍

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

It's dropped below freezing this evening with more snow showers to bring everything back to Narnia-lite conditions. Loud squeaky underfoot and white trees. Lovely. 

@Mair Snaw - burn whatever you can get cheapest but make sure it's <20% moisture. Hard woods burn hotter and longer than soft woods. Ash and sycamore are a good compromise as they dry almost as quickly as softwoods but have more heat in them. Birch is good but takes longer to dry.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Well the drive back up from England last night wasn’t too bad although probably not for the faint hearted.  Ok until past Dalwhinnie then constant snow cover on the road but it had been plough and gritted although it was readily freezing.  Around Inverness very snowy and the Struie is still closed due to drifting snow and ice. So diverted to Tain up to Bonar Bridge road snow covered and icy but go steady and you are fine.  More heavy snow showers today one in particular giving a good inch in rapid time. As Northern Lights said earlier it has been a proper winter up here so far.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, Northernlights said:

What a winter we are having .Its back to heavy powdery snow at 0c and the ice rapidly getting covered.  Just reminds me of the winters in the sixties and seventies as the cold comes and goes.  Will it keep going into March and early April like it used to up here.?

Hmm. I grew up in south Lake District and winters were cold but not usually especially snowy - we were away from the hills but also quite inland. I remember icicles, icy puddles most days, parents worrying about freezing pipes, and when it did snow, there'd be landrovers and tractors towing cars up the hill we were on. That would be December through till March. Still got family near there and they report frosts are uncommon and lying snow unusual.

We moved to the Black Isle nearly 30 years ago (!) so nowhere near long enough to detect trends. But older folk say it's not as cold or snowy.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

2 polar lows in as many days! This winter is mental 😂🤠

50.phase1.zoom.png 50.phase2.zoom.png

20230119.webp 20230118.webp

Should see showers ahead of its approach and the main wraparound front giving a good top up to the northern dwellers, some Fife snow shield action as it heads south ha

animwjn7.gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
8 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

@Ravelin do you have the contact details for your supplier please?

It's Alford Firewood, but pretty sure the guy only delivers locally. Think he works offshore on the rigs and it's a sideline for him. 

• Like 1