Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
44 minutes ago, jon_d1983 said:

BINGO….”Cheshire Gap” has been mentioned in the mad house 🤣  

I misread that as Cheshire Cat...  and failed to find a weather-related pun - anyone?

MetO and others have me at 7C at 2pm tomorrow but NW shows 2C. Seems a bit of a difference at 24 hours away!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 5

Posted
41 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

I misread that as Cheshire Cat...  and failed to find a weather-related pun - anyone?

MetO and others have me at 7C at 2pm tomorrow but NW shows 2C. Seems a bit of a difference at 24 hours away!

Meant to be 8°c here tomorow 🙄 and 🌧️. Can we not just cold and crisp please. Fed up of wet. 

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, jon_d1983 said:

Meant to be 8°c here tomorow 🙄 and 🌧️. Can we not just cold and crisp please. Fed up of wet. 

NW has blinked 1st and now goes for 7C and showers. The rest of the week and beyond looks colder.

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

NW has blinked 1st and now goes for 7C and showers. The rest of the week and beyond looks colder.

I’m thinking most of the forecasts have underestimated the cold 

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, jon_d1983 said:

I’m thinking most of the forecasts have underestimated the cold 

I'm in 2 minds about this.... Be good to see the frost but OTOH I don't want a massive heating bill!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

3 degrees and drizzle here, the weather I hate most... anything but this! Yr.No has snow for me Friday 🙂

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, tiff said:

3 degrees and drizzle here, the weather I hate most... anything but this! Yr.No has snow for me Friday 🙂

Hmm yr.noyoufkndon't has sleet, no snow. No no no. Oh no you fkn don't you scummy beach-dweller... 

• Like 3

Posted

The theme continues for relatively decent shower activity pushing through the central belt area between Thursday and Saturday, and parameters for snow seem to be slightly more favourable after today's runs. 850's a notch lower it would seem and dew points looking pretty healthy for inland snow. 

The UKV model showing the shower activity pretty well should it materialise that way: 

Screenshot_20231126_204738_Gallery.thumb.jpg.278e13a3a3d73162cbb66575cd8e2186.jpg

Screenshot_20231126_204747_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1da5dc703346129daa54f4c825b4888e.jpg

Which leads to this accumulation chart for 3pm on Friday: 

Screenshot_20231126_201547_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2c6ce99c5a579fe2ab602aa1519d0549.jpg

if it transpired that way then you'd expect there still to snow on the ground in those areas by the end of the weekend even if no more falls. 

The totals for the far north and Grampain and Aberdeenshire should be noted aswell. Its obviously one run on one model, but it illustrates the expected general theme pretty well should nothing drastic change over the next couple of days. 

I am starting to wonder if I maybe underestimated the impact this could have because it does increasingly look like Friday 'could' be a potentially snowy day through the central belt.

The usual places look in line to do best i.e East Kilbride, Shotts, Harthill, probably Lanark, Carluke etc aswell. 

Grampian could take a pasting as well. 

The UKV is also not a stranger to under estimating snow depths so it's an increasingly interesting watch. 

The ICON also depicting the shower train pretty well: 

Screenshot_20231126_162015_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.cff72ac4e08ecde1edb1d00a82ca06be.jpg 

That chart had me reminiscing of 2018 when the moisture train stretched from Scotland's red warning area all the way to mainland Europe. ...... and no I'm not saying its going to be like that 🤣🤣🤣

MetO auto forecast gradually starting to pick up on the shower activity as well now for the same period: 

Screenshot_20231126_205045_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0cf479ffc76a05dbf5c7c16249e0abff.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

animrwl4.gifanimpld2.gif

gens-31-1-96.pnggens-28-1-96.png

animvwu0.gif

These calibre of charts are worthy of a pop akin to Punk returning 😁🤣👀 

• Like 8

Posted

Could do with those 850's trending lower before I start to get interested in next week. Currently the form horse is a sleet-fest on the immediate coast! Had plenty of rain with even -8c 850's before 🫣

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 6

Posted

A rather subdued vibe in the mod thread today. However, the south of Englands loss might be good for us Northerners.

Screenshot_20231127_071237_Met Office.jpg

Screenshot_20231124_201326_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 9

Posted

Loads of ice/black ice here after last night's drizzle and fog. Fingers crossed for a dusting of snow at the end of the week and I'm  looking forward to the Snaw pics coming in from those further north and east. Can't delete this emoticon on my phone -! 😉

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A bit milder this morning at 5c with a fresh NNE wind off the Firth blowing in a few showers which are falling as sleet or snow inland from here.  Raking more leaves at the weekend and they are mostly in the garden and not in the fields  due to the frequency of north and east winds    this  autumn .

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

No idea about the temperature, but car windscreen had feathery frozen patterns first thing. It's a bit grey just now here in Falkirk . 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!
20 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Hmm yr.noyoufkndon't has sleet, no snow. No no no. Oh no you fkn don't you scummy beach-dweller... 

You've done it now, they've nicked ma Friday snow.. sun now

• Like 5

Posted

Well the thought was nice but the continuing southward corrections will likely remove the notion of any snow showers piling through the central belt. Maybe the odd shower but with the flow now looking much slacker in Scotland due to the southerly track of the low, coupled with a sharper orientation to the wind flow i.e much more NE than E, it seems a stick on now that we'll have primarily dry and cold conditions for Thursday and Friday, unless any features crop up or there is a change in the modelled output of Thursday's Low. 

Although just as I typed that, the latest MetO run depicts that all is not lost, I might backtrack my backtrack by tomorrow 🤣🤣 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Well the thought was nice but the continuing southward corrections will likely remove the notion of any snow showers piling through the central belt. Maybe the odd shower but with the flow now looking much slacker in Scotland due to the southerly track of the low, coupled with a sharper orientation to the wind flow i.e much more NE than E, it seems a stick on now that we'll have primarily dry and cold conditions for Thursday and Friday, unless any features crop up or there is a change in the modelled output of Thursday's Low. 

I’m still optimistic. straight easterly’s would be better but who knows streamers  crop up out of nowhere. ❄️❄️

• Like 5