Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest minima 2021-2022 predictions and recordings

damianslaw

• 1 month later...
Posted

Good to resurrect this thread. Just watched BBC forecast and was surprised they showed a -10 for Highlands tomorrow night. Shows we have cold uppers in the north and under a ridge and snowfall temps can drop a stone. Will we see lowest temp of season so far.. 10th and 11th Feb seems to be a cold night!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Didnt even have a frost here

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

1328274878_Screenshot_20220211-110059_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1b5641bcf5e0a4b2a0f35c6957936c90.jpg

Thanks nowhere near -10 degrees in the Highlands. I think there was too much of a breeze and perhaps not the deep snow cover BBC expected.

-7.8 Redesdale is cold.. but we still await a -10 degrees in England and looking at outlook looks a tall order to achieve this season. Such temps can be achieved fairly easily in March still.. I always think -10 degrees should be expected in an average winter. Weve had a few such as 2013-14 which never reached it. Please can someone remind me of lowest mins of each season England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
34 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Thanks nowhere near -10 degrees in the Highlands. I think there was too much of a breeze and perhaps not the deep snow cover BBC expected.

-7.8 Redesdale is cold.. but we still await a -10 degrees in England and looking at outlook looks a tall order to achieve this season. Such temps can be achieved fairly easily in March still.. I always think -10 degrees should be expected in an average winter. Weve had a few such as 2013-14 which never reached it. Please can someone remind me of lowest mins of each season England.

Lowest minimums

Winter -27.2 deg

Spring -22.8 deg

Summer -5.6 deg

Autumn -23.3 deg

sorry just realised this is a uk list and not England

Edited by hillbilly

Posted
44 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

English Mininum records

Winter -26.1 deg

Spring -21.1 deg

Summer -5.6 deg

Autumn -14.4 deg

Not 100pc sure aboutthe Autumn record but that temperature has been achieved

Posted
6 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Braemar got down to -8.5, according to the link. Not sure there is much snow at village level, and I think you are right about the factors stopping it from going lower. If -10.3 (IIRC) isn’t beaten in the remaining 17 days or so of meteorological winter then I think this will be one of the highest overall winter low temperatures on record for the UK.

MEOPHAMWEATHER.CO.UK

Posted
4 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Thanks for stats .I'm wanting to know absolute mins for winters each year in England say since 1980 as a benchmark. 

I can find a few on different sites but cannot find a liist of all,i thought someone would have one but will se what i can find if not.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Please could someone post current low minima for season 2021-22 England and Wales, and Scotland. Could be a low benchmark this year, time running out I feel, becomes difficult to achieve notably low minima past first week of March, and there is nothing on horizon to suggest that happening this year. 

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Please could someone post current low minima for season 2021-22 England and Wales, and Scotland. Could be a low benchmark this year, time running out I feel, becomes difficult to achieve notably low minima past first week of March, and there is nothing on horizon to suggest that happening this year. 

Just to note -12.8 deg has been recorded here in West Yorkshire as late as April 24th and -9.4 deg has been recorded as late as May 15th in Norfolk.

Edited by hillbilly