Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

November 2016

Summer18

Posted

So it’s 5 years since this and it’s (up to now) the coldest November we’ve had seen 2010 with a CET of 5.6C. I remember waking up to lying snow on the 9th (which is one of the earliest dates I can remember snow lying) and a snowy Friday mid month. Other than that I can’t really recall it being that cold, be interesting to hear if other locations had more prolonged cold that month. 

Edited by Summer18

Posted
On 16/11/2021 at 21:14, Summer18 said:

So it’s 5 years since this and it’s (up to now) the coldest November we’ve had seen 2010 with a CET of 5.6C. I remember waking up to lying snow on the 9th (which is one of the earliest dates I can remember snow lying) and a snowy Friday mid month. Other than that I can’t really recall it being that cold, be interesting to hear if other locations had more prolonged cold that month. 

Generally a lot of cold weather without ever being notably so. We had a bit of snow around the third weekend only settled in some parts. Lots of frost.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & fairly cloudy in Summer, cold and dry in Winter

Don't remember it being particularly cold, even after a very warm September and pleasant October. Do remember a lot of rain the morning after Trump won however

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

I remember the month being very cold but also very sunny. There was a lot of pleasantly cold days with no wind and very cold nights, we got to -10.C I think around the 20th/21st and had freezing fog around then for a couple of days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 21/11/2021 at 17:57, grayson123 said:

Don't remember it being particularly cold, even after a very warm September and pleasant October. Do remember a lot of rain the morning after Trump won however

I remember the Trump hangover day was very mild but nondescript, not particularly wet, gloomy or sunny. The election day itself was sunny and cold I think, so a frontal system (Storm Donald?) must have passed over during election night. Don't recall rain though - I did stay up late until I went to bed in disgust when I got the impression which way the wind was blowing.

Aside from that I recall a sunnier and colder month than normal, a nice change after the gloomy drizzlefest that was November 2015. There were however a couple of notable storms in quick succession around the third weekend, mostly affecting just the south. I think one was called Aaron? (can't remember now, sorry - think it was the first one of the season though) and the other had no name but was nicknamed 'the son of' the first one, and was actually the more potent of the two down here.

The end of the month had a notable dull/foggy spell, I recall a very foggy and gloomy Saturday on the 26th.

November 2017 was fairly similar in the sense that it was unusually sunny for November and featured four consecutive sunny Sundays here, extraordinary for November.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

November 2016 was often chilly here but not notably cold until the very end. The first weekend brought the first cold blip with frosts. Then midmonth saw a cold stormy period as mentioned above where there were wintry showers off a strong westerly on the 18th, then an absolute soaker of a spell from the 19th-21st. The quieter end to the month brought deep frost and fog, with the cold weather continuing into the first 4 days of December.

2017 was very much a drier version of 2016.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Vague memories of a seasonably crisp month. I don't remember any snow but plenty of frosts, in particular the final week of the month which (From memory) brought unbroken sunshine and daytime maxes barely above freezing and very low minima at night. I remember feeling hopeful for the winter ahead (I was a regular NW member at that point) but then the seasonably crisp weather aforementioned fell apart in the opening days of December. I seem to remember it being really dry apart from a very stormy spell from the 19th to 21st with an unusually deep low crawling up the country, some very strong winds and squally showers. It was a blip in an otherwise remarkably settled autumn. I did a thread about the autumn some time ago. Last thing I remember is just how it never seemed all that mild. I recall one day around the 14th or 15th where there was a mild incursion of air bringing very mild, damp and drizzly weather in and how it felt very out of place from what I'd been used to and then it was gone again. One of my fav Novembers. 2017 being mentioned, loved that month too. Won't go into detail as its not the thread topic but I saw falling snow that month on the 30th. Wonderfully varied month. Remember a lot of model headaches around the 19th period...