Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
18 minutes ago, Snow tyre said:

Bonfire Night, November 5th, is always celebrated with massive events in Lewes.  It has its roots, as do all other November 5 celebrations, in the Gunpowder Plot of 1605 featuring the famous Guy Fawkes (Guido Fawkes) and more particularly the Seventeen Martyrs burnt at the stake in Lewes, Sussex, during the period of 1555–1557 in the reign of Queen Mary 1.

The original celebrations in Lewes were not planned or carried out annually but were random events that were more like riots. They continued until they were banned by Oliver Cromwell during the Commonwealth. However, they were reintroduced when King Charles II returned, but still on a random basis. Interest waned by the end of the 18th century but in the 1820s large groups of Bonfire Boys started celebrating with fireworks and large bonfires. The celebrations became more and more rowdy until in 1847 police forces were drafted in from London to sort out the Bonfire Boys. There were riots and fighting, and restrictions were clamped down on the celebrators. However, in 1850 they were allowed back to the High Street. By this time the former riots had become much more like the processions carried out today. The Lewes Bonfire Night Celebrations is now one of the best known and talked about traditions within the UK, and attracts tens of thousands of visitors each year. This is not one celebration as such as there are six separate Lewes Bonfire Societies all celebrating the Fifth in various parts of the town, all with their own processions, traditions, costumes, fire sites and fireworks. In 1853 the first two societies, Cliffe and Lewes Borough were founded, and most of the others were founded later in the same century.

That was so interesting, thanks for sharing !

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

Summer Solstice Vs Winter Solstice - Time-Lapse Comparison

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

@Reefseeker  Brie & Cranberry Quiche (Lady Canarvon’s recipe) Turkey Al la King served with salad & jacket spuds, Jubilee Trifle with a twist and a meringue wreath with Chantilly cream, raspberries & blueberries - most of it has gone so all seems to have been a hit with my guests! 

it’s finally stopped raining, hopefully tomorrow will be less wet & windy as I actually need to leave the house at some point 😊

2nd load emptied from the dishwasher so an  night for me I think 😴

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

That's a tad blowy out there tonight 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
33 minutes ago, snowrye said:

That's a tad blowy out there tonight 

Tight isobar's and hence the wind flowing along them quite strong as you would expect. With some convection across the channel and south coast parallel to the sharp SE quadrant of the low lifting up some moisture and seemingly more near surface/slightly above boundary layer focused cold air advection and a fairly sharp Tropospheric temperature and wind vertical gradient. This combined with a lobe of lower Tropospheric relative vorticity has led to some fairly sharp coastal riding showers.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Modern Art

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White Board 

• Like 2

Posted

I've decided today is a fasting day. not for religious or health reasons. simply because i cannot be asked to find anything to eat or actually fancy anything. 🙂 

Posted
On 28/12/2022 at 13:45, Snow tyre said:

Bonfire Night, November 5th, is always celebrated with massive events in Lewes.  It has its roots, as do all other November 5 celebrations, in the Gunpowder Plot of 1605 featuring the famous Guy Fawkes (Guido Fawkes) and more particularly the Seventeen Martyrs burnt at the stake in Lewes, Sussex, during the period of 1555–1557 in the reign of Queen Mary 1.

The original celebrations in Lewes were not planned or carried out annually but were random events that were more like riots. They continued until they were banned by Oliver Cromwell during the Commonwealth. However, they were reintroduced when King Charles II returned, but still on a random basis. Interest waned by the end of the 18th century but in the 1820s large groups of Bonfire Boys started celebrating with fireworks and large bonfires. The celebrations became more and more rowdy until in 1847 police forces were drafted in from London to sort out the Bonfire Boys. There were riots and fighting, and restrictions were clamped down on the celebrators. However, in 1850 they were allowed back to the High Street. By this time the former riots had become much more like the processions carried out today. The Lewes Bonfire Night Celebrations is now one of the best known and talked about traditions within the UK, and attracts tens of thousands of visitors each year. This is not one celebration as such as there are six separate Lewes Bonfire Societies all celebrating the Fifth in various parts of the town, all with their own processions, traditions, costumes, fire sites and fireworks. In 1853 the first two societies, Cliffe and Lewes Borough were founded, and most of the others were founded later in the same century.

You got it fella absolutely amazing nights ..First see it  in  Mayfield then I was hooked, went to see as much as possible thats a lot from a kentish person ,in the olden days we never knew which way a  person in Sussex would swing ,but a parade they can do , see Kent was Kingdom all its self ,Sussex never knew where to go ,wessex or Kent,you split in the end west Sussex more Hampshire innit ,west country accent ,East  Sussex more us isn't it ,what I  am really sad for is Middlesex  ,its gone, but in name ,sad because they wasn't a bad bunch ,?west London now ,they play cricket i think still ,rest absorbed into other counties or London,the moral...don't let it happen to all of us ,thanks for the memories 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, TN9 said:

You got it fella absolutely amazing nights ..First see it  in  Mayfield then I was hooked, went to see as much as possible thats a lot from a kentish person ,in the olden days we never knew which way a  person in Sussex would swing ,but a parade they can do , see Kent was Kingdom all its self ,Sussex never knew where to go ,wessex or Kent,you split in the end west Sussex more Hampshire innit ,west country accent ,East  Sussex more us isn't it ,what I  am really sad for is Middlesex  ,its gone, but in name ,sad because they wasn't a bad bunch ,?west London now ,they play cricket i think still ,rest absorbed into other counties or London,the moral...don't let it happen to all of us ,thanks for the memories 🙂

Dont take that horribly either ,long time ago lol ,but always love where you live whatever ,home is where the heart ♥ is not where you hang your hat 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

29 December 2022 Time-Lapse

• Like 1

Posted

on the basis some people look way into the future in the models as to how things will turn out, there must be some very old people on this site 😄

talk about wishing your life away 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
48 minutes ago, MAF said:

on the basis some people look way into the future in the models as to how things will turn out, there must be some very old people on this site 😄

talk about wishing your life away 🙂 

Day 10 at a time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and sun. Anything extreme.

Here's one to make the coldies think. It's a picture I reckon I took in 1987. This was the days of Ceefax. Now THAT was a decent winter!

Could contain: Scoreboard, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Electronics

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

'87 was the first winter i worked for the MOD and used to walk to work in Woolwich Arsenal. The walk home was all uphill and would take me twice as long as the walk down. But we had a good stores room which had navy kit in it. Wellies, thick socks and heavy, heavy coats 😄

Edited by MAF

Posted
1 hour ago, UKSnakey said:

Wow! Ceefax!!! I used to love checking that in winter. Such a fond memory.. the youth of today missed out on that

I remember Gary Lineker saying Ceefax was the best way to watch Wimbledon FC 😂😂😂

I cannot recall much more about it. I guess internet and weather apps didn't exist back then. 

I've seen footage of weather forecasters sticking symbols on charts that sometimes fell off.

Anyhows it looks like a wet and blowy NYE?

Posted

Depressing watching BBC weather. Scotland takes the beautiful snow whereas the south gets mild boring  Atlantic driven wind and rain to flooding amounts. Lovely what a crap part of the world to live ha ha 

Edited by PiscesStar
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Good changes as early as day five in the models, but things still as always, rely on everything falling into the right place.

Posted
12 hours ago, MAF said:

wouldn't mind a ceefax page like this in the new year...

Could contain: Monitor, Computer Hardware, Screen, Hardware, Electronics

Thats all about we had to go on 24 hrs till updated ,what was itvs called can't think of it ..