Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
Just now, TN9 said:

But my favourite character is windy Miller..what a bloke ..even as kid I loved him ,1.. he had a dirty great windmill (which to this day i love ) he made his own cider and when calm he sang a song and whistled for the wind , all in all run of the mill 🙂

And was as jaffa cakesed as a fart and spent most of his time sleeping it off.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
42 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I just went out to buy a walnut and it's windy raining and general disgusting outside.

It'll be dry clear and less windy once the cold front comes through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
48 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It'll be dry clear and less windy once the cold front comes through.

Timed my visit to walnuts R us wrong lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Well this is a new one on me, can't wait until the Daily Fail or Excess headlines pick up on it, "UK to be battered by pineapples" 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/01/05/california-weather-explained-pineapple-express-storm/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

I know it's mild, but my neighbour is out mowing his lawn!  😲

• Like 1

Posted
On 24/12/2022 at 15:46, Harry's House said:

Whatever weather we get in the near future, I just hope there won't be too much rain. The road between Pagham and Chichester was quite badly flooded yesterday when I drove on it, so much more rain would close the road completely. Happy Christmas to all of you. 

The road mentioned above is now closed due to flooding. Not entirely due to excessive rain and run of water from adjacent fields - a lot to do with neglect by the local authorities. It means a long diversion to Chichester.

• Thanks 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Snowangel-MK said:

Well this is a new one on me, can't wait until the Daily Fail or Excess headlines pick up on it, "UK to be battered by pineapples" 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/01/05/california-weather-explained-pineapple-express-storm/

1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

I need to strim my garden the weeds are growing high.

• Like 1

Posted

This wind is really blowing every now and then. Hopefully it'll stay as forecast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

Red Sky in the morning… 

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Cloud, Sunset, Weather, Cumulus, Sunlight

Could contain: Spoke, Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Alloy Wheel, Car, Wheel, Tire, Vehicle, Sunset

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Looking forward to seeing some sunshine this afternoon once this cold front out west clears through, been so grey and a lack of sun recently in these mild sectors!

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Hurricane

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
20 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

I have daisies in my front lawn! Just appeared this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, moogyboobles said:

I have daisies in my front lawn! Just appeared this morning.

I don't have anything flowering yet, but weeds are loving the weather, and dandelion leaves have been growing all the way through, apart from during the cold spell. Need some dry days to strim my front garden. Won't be long for daffodils though, the leaves are up, may be a few days.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

My own discussion for today;

"First discussion issued of the year
*Unofficial severe weather discussion*
Level 1 severe potential for;
Wind gusts, an isolated tornado or two, some lightning and heavy rainfall.
Sat 7 Jan 14:00 - Sun 8 Jan 08:00
Level 1 impacts : Low - Moderate 
Level 1 risk potential : 15-30%"

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Face, Head

For our area, I cannot rule out an isolated tornado due to us being on the SE quadrant of the trough where a lot of the moisture advection and also low-level shearing gradient is plus given the lobe of vorticity in our area there should be some fairly sharp Convection. Given the SST's, the risk of lightning is mainly for Ireland and the South Coast though I can't rule out the odd bit of lightning further North but I general lightning risk is fairly low.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Plant, Tree, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Art, Modern Art, Plot, Chart, Painting, Graphics

Initially it looks as if we should get a squall line lifting through with a lick of Theta-E advection from the South. Perhaps where the isolated tornado risk lies but mainly Wind gusts and heavy rain seem to be the main risks from this.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Nature, Outdoors, Vegetation, Tree

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Before a potential second round with advection of unstable air from the South tomorrow which I will have a look at more in-depth tomorrow as it seems to come with the most CAPE given the angle of moisture advection anr the high(ish) SST'S.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Blackboard

Which may result in a lot of rainfall especially for the SE and London part of our region but that depends on when you take the snapshot at.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Hurricane, Storm

This is the most bullish model though and so I think the amount of Precipitation may be overestimated here.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

On this day 13 years ago, snow blanketed the UK……

On January 7th 2010, overnight temperatures had plunged to -18 degrees Celsius (-0.4 degrees Fahrenheit) in isolated spots, with more widespread temperatures of -10 degrees Celsius (14 degrees Fahrenheit). 

Snow covered most of England, from the east to the west coast. (The large image shows snow cover over the entire island of Great Britain.) 

The cities of Manchester, Birmingham, and London form ghostly gray shapes against the white land surface. Immediately east of London, clouds swirl over the island, casting blue-gray shadows toward the north.

The heavy snowfall downed power lines, leaving several thousand homes in southern England without electricity.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Hurricane

• Like 7

Posted

I was on a day shift and walked all the way to work (11 miles) as there was no transport. I knew the guys on the night shift had to get home in Medway so made the effort to relieve them thinking others would do the same too. 

spent the day shift with just one other, and the relief couldn't get in so did the night shift too. then did another day shift as it was my days anyway. after 46 hours i finally got to go home. never even got a pat on the back for it, but least in work i spent time online with someone who kept me company and i was away from home 😉😉

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Haven't seen rain like that for a long time here. Had to run from the car into my house and was absolutely soaked through in seconds!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
3 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

My own discussion for today;

"First discussion issued of the year
*Unofficial severe weather discussion*
Level 1 severe potential for;
Wind gusts, an isolated tornado or two, some lightning and heavy rainfall.
Sat 7 Jan 14:00 - Sun 8 Jan 08:00
Level 1 impacts : Low - Moderate 
Level 1 risk potential : 15-30%"

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Face, Head

First part done and I'd say I've done quite well so far though I may have underestimated just how much rain would fall as it was torrential here.

• Like 1

Posted

Had the pleasure of being held in a stationary queue for 20 mins on the M25 near Leatherhead earlier coming home due to flooding, looks like parts of the SE got some thunder from the squally downpours that went through earlier too. 

Could contain: Plot, Map, Land, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Water, Rainforest

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 6

Posted
16 hours ago, Nick F said:

Had the pleasure of being held in a stationary queue for 20 mins on the M25 near Leatherhead earlier coming home due to flooding, looks like parts of the SE got some thunder from the squally downpours that went through earlier too.

Indeed, snap, we had various interludes of torrential rain driving from Bournemouth to Surbiton yesterday. Just after the first squall line went through the Tolworth underpass on the A3 became flooded I suspect due to sat nav constantly telling us to avoid it; it looked biblical on the radar, glad we were an hour behind it, in the lot that followed....

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 2

Posted

TODAY'S WEATHER: crappy with continued crappy until tomorrow when the weather is expected to be slightly less crappy before turning more crappy on Tuesday!

As you can probably tell I’m fed up of this windy wet January already, also sick of hearing about the Ginger “spare” and Me-again whinging on about their terrible life so I’m  immersing myself in a weekend of binge watching, so far all of “Litvinenko” and now started on “the light in the hall” both very good 😊 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Another wet weekend! I made the most of the dry weather window earlier to potter around the garden. Weeded the circle where the beans were and found mint still growing which is quite impressive for January - might have Lamb tonight. Dry interlude didn't last long so the grapevine pruning will have to wait. Looking forward to a change in the weather pattern...