Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

The radar says it all.... some heavy rain..... a squall line.....gusty wind..... and all moving east, looking to arrive here just in time to soak me whilst strolling out for a teatime pint. 🌧️

14.55  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !
27 minutes ago, MAF said:

best get the washing in off the line then 😄

No washing out - Ratty is owning it in the front garden now, dogs are going nuts they don’t mind the birds & squirrels but they haven’t seen a rat before 🐀 

Could contain: Rodent, Mammal, Animal, Rat, Kangaroo

• Like 5

Posted

Squally heavy rain around 1635 with a clap of thunder before and after it.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, m1chaels said:

Still 'cold from the West' which I'm afraid I will only believe when I see it - there will be a short wave and the cold will be mixed out.

We will see, time for a pattern change… I’ll take dry and cooler even if it’s just average and a few wintry showers thrown in, enough of this wet & mild mush I say! 

Could contain: Person, Man, Adult, Male, Outdoors, Nature, Face, Head, Solo Performance, Astronomy

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

Wet and Windy - 10 January 2023 Time-Lapse

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Hello SE thread long time no see, just in time for my three favorite quotes;

3)"We have nothing to fear but fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

2)"You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go" - Marshall Mathers

1) "I am a fish" - Georgie

It's a long story (Well no it isn't she's just a really good swimmer)... anyway, onto the actual weather part of my post and as @Tom Quintavalle says, it's looking interesting for next week (ish) but I'm not really the synoptic guy I'm the Strat guy so here's the copying over of my post from the model thread...
"

Right now, we had the large EHF prevalent over the Ural-BK region backing up the first warming wave which is going to drive it towards the Pacific-North American are though that thermally dampens the Ural-BK area as the -VE EHF's are forced into the Scandi-Ural area. The anomalously strong planetary wave-breaking for thermal strengthening of the Wave-1 strength over time and increasing the Baroclinic tilt of the vortex through the Tropopause drivers for Strat 'kicking' of the riding outer wave. Therefore, the progression of Wave-1 would suggest movement of the +VE anomalous thermal line to be more West allowing for the strong thermal energy Tropopause transport across the Atlantic signalling for extratropical thermal increasing of Wave-2 formation for the mid-Atlantic progression towards the Scandi-Ural-BK area. Scandi-Ural driving was the rough area for thermal flux initiation of the 2018 SSW when combined with the Alaskan block (I think?) so that would generally be a good idea to get that movement but at this range, the Wave-2 may weaken and/or not transition towards the Scandi-Ural-BK region. The driving of the Alaskan +VE EHF's at the Tropopause are the main reason for the strongly stretched Polar Vortex as the wave pushes into the North American area of the Vortex. This type of wave breaking through the Alaskan area suggests a quasi-horizontal thermal transport stretching the Polar Vortex and reducing the circulation of the polar-night jet via the latent heat release and radiative transfer into the initial area of quasi-circulation (though not a split) and that spreads the centre of the 'spinning top' and stretches out the Polar Vortex though that mainly relies on the timing between the Alaskan and Atlantic warming to increase the 'double trouble' on the PV. The equator-pole Eddy driven circulation with the 'surfing' Waves is typically characterised well in general despite the troubled understanding of The Brewer-Dobson circulation ("The Brewer–Dobson circulation (BDC) describes the net transport of mass, heat and tracers in the stratosphere and therefore plays a primary role in its chemical composition and radiative transfer properties") because of the typically Wave-1/Wave-2 setup for the Strat; though I suspect it underplays the role of Wave-2 setups (e.g. displaying a strong bias on most models) as that requires a fairly well modelled understanding of how thermal and mass transport occurs under Eddy-driven circulation. 

Essentially what I'm saying here is that the combination of the driving via the Ural Block (and heat flux) and the Alaskan heat flux should result in the driving of the Eurasian warming towards the Pacific and connect up with a developing +VE Alaskan wave to stretch the Vortex a bit. At this point everything becomes complicated and affected by every other thing as without a developing Atlantic-Europe Wave, the Vortex doesn't lose it's polar-night jet signal much, instead it's displaced to over us (e.g. not what we want) but if we can get a warming Wave over the pre-mentioned area; then that should stretch the Polar Vortex and at least slow down the mean to average to below average I would suspect. Beyond that, we need the signal around the Scandi-Urals area to repeat and that would likely cause at least an attempt at a split. Obviously, we need a lot of things to go right for us but that's what luck is for right? Seeing as we haven't had much recently, a good dose of it this Winter (the first spell though came without much snow, then perhaps the second Polar Maritime spell) and maybe we could get a SSW. It's a long process yet the actual end goal would occur in such a short amount of time but it's the setting the Stratosphere up for a SSW that's really the main problem.

Could contain: Sphere, Planet, Outer Space, Astronomy, Plate, GlobeCould contain: Sphere, Planet, Outer Space, Astronomy, Plate, Globe

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Face, Person, HeadCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram

"

Hopefully we can see scenes that we saw in December from the Polar Maritime airflow but I'm finding it unlikely, instead we may have to rely on a SSW which I would say is at about a 20-30% chance by mid February, at the moment...

In the meanwhile I've been impressed by the relative quasi-stationaryness of the Theta-E advection into West Turkey that's sparked slow moving clusters/line segments that seemingly led to some strong wind gusts and possible flooding. Though the trough has moved south a lot of areas have had almost constant heavy-torrential rainfall for nearly 2 days now (the lightning doesn't tell the whole story of how the cluters formed especially on day 1 over West Turkey and into parts of Greece) and strong wind gusts mixed in there, some severe wind gusts...

10th

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Outdoors, Vegetation, Tree, Plant

11th

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Outdoors

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I know it's winter but would be lovely to have a break from this relentless wind and rain and gave some of those lovely days where it's dry, cold but you can feel the sun on your face.

• Like 3

Posted

Latest BBC forecast suggests this thread will get a lot busier over the next week, North Home counties are on a promise currently although unlike December no deep cold before any snow arrives.

• Like 1

Posted

Wet, grey, windy... what a joy January has been so far.... Fingers crossed next week delivers some snow to the south east. We are off to Cyprus next Tuesday to visit family and I noticed @Eagle Eye posting severe weather around Turkey. The Troodos webcam from a few days ago showed heavy snow but other than that Cyprus too is looking grey and damp. I wonder if we'll spot a few flakes of snow on the 17th as we take off from Heathrow ☃️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

And the grey, overcast sky finally breaks up to give some late colour...... unfortunately not for long as the sun quickly went down. But hopefully more sunshine around tomorrow.

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Tree, Plant, Cloud, Fir, Cumulus, Bird

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 10/01/2023 at 00:01, Floatylight said:

Have you tried spinning the batteries round and round?

Shouting at it sometimes works... 😆 

I do the first one, it often gets the remote going. Don't bother with the second.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
On 10/01/2023 at 18:31, Blessed Weather said:

Lol. Tell you what, after today's heavy rain you'd need to put water-wings on to risk walking on my lawn atm, it's that soggy! 😄

Yep, takes me longer to walk over the down now, as I walk around through town, to slippery for me, my balance isn't the best as it is.

• Like 1

Posted
On 11/01/2023 at 14:14, Snowangel-MK said:

Sleet and snow symbols for me next Tuesday, first time this year that I've seen the snowflake used, only time will tell if any will actually fall from the sky of course but it's encouraging ! 

Meantime I have a rat in me garden....what am I gonna do ? 

Me too and it better stay out there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

3 flashes of lightning today, twice seen lightning already this year wow. Best start to the year Storms wise for me despite the great dreary days, as I've been on the southern portion of these systems where the squall's and showers are. Given the 'horrible' setup, it's ended up quite well for me overall as I get excited by a bit of windy weather and a flicker or two.

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Big storm here in brighton , thunder lightening torrential rain 

• Like 4

Posted

Isolated flashes of lightning seen this evening and a shower which produced  some small hail around 10.35 pm.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
29 minutes ago, Harry's House said:

Isolated flashes of lightning seen this evening and a shower which produced  some small hail around 10.35 pm.  

Just came on here to report flash of lightening and thunder, and note that it’s been happening already. Strange weather for the time of year! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Well windy tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Good Morning all,  well into Friday the 13th we go. Still quite windy out there this morning, Change in the weather is upon us as we go through the weekend  and fingers crossed some interesting weather to be had. Enjoy your Friday and stay safe.

• Like 3

Posted

Friday The 13th 😳
Take care ! 
At least it’s drier but Saturday looks pants (maybe a duvet day needed) all change from Sunday….hopefully we all get a ticket to ride the snow train next week 😊

Could contain: Plot, Chart, White Board, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Atlas, Text, Sea, Water

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, MAF said:

and you can get your boots out 😛 😄 

I do hope so.......I did just double take your comment before replying to make sure it was boots you said not boobs 😵

Anyway looks like pretty much anyone anywhere could get some wintry precipitation early next week, after then who knows....I'm trying very hard to ignore talks of SSW and the SPV doing the splits and not get too excited about something way out in FI when we don't even know what's happening beyond Sunday !

• Like 2