Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
23 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Anyone else still feel muggy, or is it just Dover?

It feels a lot fresher up here🥰

Are you still sweaty?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
59 minutes ago, Gowon said:

It feels a lot fresher up here🥰

Are you still sweaty?

Only in Dover, had an appointment in Folkestone today, much cooler, milky sun, dover blue sky with fair weather cloud, and still sweaty. Enjoyed a nice slow walk home by the river, saw a couple of fledgling birds just chilling on the path, probably eating ants, or some other small insects, walked up slowly, started getting my phone out to take pics, suddenly, excuse me, I get out the way, and someone in a mobility scooter just blasts past. Birdies flew away. Was hoping to pass them without scaring them at all. 

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
10 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Only in Dover, had an appointment in Folkestone today, much cooler, milky sun, dover blue sky with fair weather cloud, and still sweaty. Enjoyed a nice slow walk home by the river, saw a couple of fledgling birds just chilling on the path, probably eating ants, or some other small insects, walked up slowly, started getting my phone out to take pics, suddenly, excuse me, I get out the way, and someone in a mobility scooter just blasts past. Birdies flew away. Was hoping to pass them without scaring them at all. 

🤣 oh well

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Rather a dull day here, especially this afternoon with a leaden grey sky. Felt comfortable outdoors though with a max of 22C at 3 pm. Spent a fascinating 5 mins watching this stag beetle marching around the garden before it disappeared into the undergrowth. A good 2 inches in size and sporting a very nice hand stitched leather jacket. I wouldn't want to argue with it. 😄

20230627_142207.thumb.jpg.3618ec1a1fa982b0b82d0dcf25961a3c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

hardly noticeable, but a really fine drizzle this morning on my way to work. very intermittent and very very light.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
16 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Rather a dull day here, especially this afternoon with a leaden grey sky. Felt comfortable outdoors though with a max of 22C at 3 pm. Spent a fascinating 5 mins watching this stag beetle marching around the garden before it disappeared into the undergrowth. A good 2 inches in size and sporting a very nice hand stitched leather jacket. I wouldn't want to argue with it. 😄

20230627_142207.thumb.jpg.3618ec1a1fa982b0b82d0dcf25961a3c.jpg

wow i've never seen a male stag beetle, I always just kept finding females, lucky you 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

wow i've never seen a male stag beetle, I always just kept finding females, lucky you 

I haven't found a female for ages 😛 😄 

Posted

Sun has made a couple of appearances today, but it is mostly cloudy, yet still warm humid t-shirt weather 

Posted

Just back from around Covent Garden, where we twice had to go indoors while enjoying a relaxing beverage due to the light drizzle becoming heavy. It's feeling very wam and humid out there now with the sun sometimes peeking through mostly cloudy skies.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Must admit I'm looking forward to a day of rain tomorrow to water the ground and clear the air.

• Like 1

Posted

Recently heard rumbles of thunder. Did not notice it raining but the ground is damp outside.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
On 26/06/2023 at 13:50, alexisj9 said:

Anyone else still feel muggy, or is it just Dover?

You can get mugged here quite easily too. It has been raining heavily for an hour now, here in NW London.

Edited by lassie23

Posted

Fairly patchy rain on the two cold fronts moving through this morning, although the radar is suggesting the second front is pepping up a little and has recently produced some lightning (circled). (Source: Netweather Extra).

FaxChartThu29Jun23.thumb.jpg.9198e0eef8d880bf8901accdceb16597.jpgRadarThu29Jun06_20.thumb.jpg.d231f54db34948a9b24820345f9c7714.jpg

Here's this morning's forecasts of rainfall accumulation to midnight tonight from Arome, NMM and Arpege. (Source: meteociel.com). I'll take a look at the results tomorrow morning and we'll see which model did best.

AccumThu29Jun23Arome.thumb.png.846cee5efb4f4ad14a98a33a660277fb.pngAccumThu29Jun23NMM.thumb.png.ce1e6523fdcd3b9528f984ee79d761d4.pngAccumThu29Jun23Arpege.thumb.png.ad30f5b8303bcf849e760c1667f93013.png

• Like 4

Posted
8 hours ago, Harry's House said:

Recently heard rumbles of thunder. Did not notice it raining but the ground is damp outside.

I woke up to the sound of rain at 3am and thought I heard a distant rumble of thunder, but wasn't sure if it was just a plane overhead. The rain cleared through by about 9am and it feels so lovely and fresh now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Hate slow moving fronts, especially Drizzly ones :(   - Rather it be over night! PAH

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Had some much-needed heavy rain last night, but the ground sucked it up quickly, and everywhere is dry again. What we don't want is a repeat of last year's grassland fires in London and the SE.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Some rather juicy looking skies overhead right now 

Posted
On 23/06/2023 at 15:24, lassie23 said:

Maybe Putin is trying to plunge the UK into drought after all😵 The only other rational explanation is witchcraft😀

The old saying is ..an old broom knows where the dirt is but a new one handles better in the air 🙂

A plane has just chopped up  my high cloud..:(  or a witch with a big yard broom lol 

Could contain:

Edited by TN9
  • Like 3

Posted

I've more vapour than clouds here ..that big spead one must be an old airbus if it  was a car it wouldn't be allowed in Gatwick or Heathrow..you will have to go to Stansted mate..can't land here sir  ..what with ulez and all 

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by TN9
  • Like 1

Posted

As promised, here's the hi res radar calculations of yesterday's rainfall totals for comparison with some of the hi res model forecasts from the 0z runs. First a reminder of the Arome, NMM and Arpege forecasts:

AccumThu29Jun23Arome.thumb.png.1caf7b15f7baf1bbece4c7af349e7c9b.pngAccumThu29Jun23NMM.thumb.png.cda8575affb6c01843a89c07270f2a5d.pngAccumThu29Jun23Arpege.thumb.png.63afc80f193657bafeabd1cb3a114493.png

Compared with the radar calculated totals: HiResrainfall29Jun23.thumb.png.21c29fa50321e29c7bbef70da2b76b0d.png

So nothing scientific, but once again (with my adhoc comparisons) the Arome model produces the most accurate short range rainfall forecast.

Sources: Radar totals - Netweather Extra; models - Meteociel.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Imagine my shock at seeing this first thing this morning...

Screenshot_20230630_082644_Chrome.thumb.jpg.786d1b526548afc3e6a59fc309a61609.jpg

Posted
30 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

As promised, here's the hi res radar calculations of yesterday's rainfall totals for comparison with some of the hi res model forecasts from the 0z runs. First a reminder of the Arome, NMM and Arpege forecasts:

AccumThu29Jun23Arome.thumb.png.1caf7b15f7baf1bbece4c7af349e7c9b.pngAccumThu29Jun23NMM.thumb.png.cda8575affb6c01843a89c07270f2a5d.pngAccumThu29Jun23Arpege.thumb.png.63afc80f193657bafeabd1cb3a114493.png

Compared with the radar calculated totals: HiResrainfall29Jun23.thumb.png.21c29fa50321e29c7bbef70da2b76b0d.png

So nothing scientific, but once again (with my adhoc comparisons) the Arome model produces the most accurate short range rainfall forecast.

Sources: Radar totals - Netweather Extra; models - Meteociel.

All we got was drizzle, hours of it, so the accumulation chart for yesterday looks about right to me.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Imagine my shock at seeing this first thing this morning...

Screenshot_20230630_082644_Chrome.thumb.jpg.786d1b526548afc3e6a59fc309a61609.jpg

Lol, they actually broadcast that forecast last night pmsl, apparently it a computer error, but surely they could do something manually for the actual TV broadcast.

Posted
14 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

All we got was drizzle, hours of it, so the accumulation chart for yesterday looks about right to me.

I didn't even get hours of it ...least it wet your appetite..