Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Eunice - 18th February

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh
1 minute ago, Loulucas said:

I keep telling my family how bad its going to be and i think they think i am banging on about nothing. Hardly anything on the news. 

what county you in

Posted
1 minute ago, Loulucas said:

Wiltshire x

tomorrow will come as a shock to your family then, try not to be too smug when you say "i told you so"

Posted
8 minutes ago, Malcolm Edwards said:

I live in Marazion near the far west of Cornwall and am very concerned to say the least. We have a conservatory at the back of our property which has buckled with 80 mph winds. Gonna be a real test this one. We lost our roof tiles in 2014 storm and that was not as bad as this beast. Stay safe all

Good luck. As long as you guys are safe

Posted
22 minutes ago, Malcolm Edwards said:

I live in Marazion near the far west of Cornwall and am very concerned to say the least. We have a conservatory at the back of our property which has buckled with 80 mph winds. Gonna be a real test this one. We lost our roof tiles in 2014 storm and that was not as bad as this beast. Stay safe all

know that area well, good coastal walks. if the wind isnt going to be enough to deal with the storm coinsides with a high tide not a spring tide but you will still get a tidal surge so plaese be safe

• Like 2

Posted

Is it just me or are Metoffice really underplaying this or do they know something we don't know. I'm now in Eltham South East London and these seem at least 10mph what we can expect

Screenshot_2022-02-17-06-28-32-62_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Posted
26 minutes ago, Andypvfc said:

Spoke to a guy early who said, "What Storm" Friday

Second that, the general mood I get round here is that we are too far inland for anything dramatic, and jts just going to be a bit of a breeze.

Still on for helping put up a fence

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Having lived through the storms of 1987 and 1990 and remember both very clearly, I think this one is going to join it as being as memorable. I remember the Burns Day  the damage it did here in Plymouth and South Hams and I like others expect a red warning here tomorrow morning unless we get a sudden downgrade.

Today is prep day! 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, philglossop said:

Having lived through the storms of 1987 and 1990 and remember both very clearly, I think this one is going to join it as being as memorable. I remember the Burns Day  the damage it did here in Plymouth and South Hams and I like others expect a red warning here tomorrow morning unless we get a sudden downgrade.

Today is prep day! 

I went out and brought loads of candles and make sure phone and tablet charged before Friday...oh and plenty of drink too lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, Mark Smithy said:

But 0z GFS follows UKV in a more southerly track.

We shouldn't really be surprised that the tracking varies in a storm which is only forming now. You'd be a brave person to bet against the UK Met Office at this short range.

A Met Office forecaster came out and said it was a calm day in the south yesterday

Posted

Thing that worries me most is that I'm expecting 4 hours of winds over 70mph approaching 80mph. The st Jude storm only lasted about 30mins

Screenshot_20220217-064721~2.png

• Like 3

Seems like the track from most models has settled down and overall not much change this morning , but one thing I noted this though is the Arome develops a powerful narrow band of 100mph+ gusts across the northern home countries. To me this indicates a significant sting jet and high velocity winds being dragged down to the surface. 

2CDBC324-1205-4CFC-946B-9369EB052739.jpeg

Posted
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Seems like the track from most models has settled down and overall not much change this morning , but one thing I noted this though is the Arome develops a powerful narrow band of 100mph+ gusts across the northern home countries. To me this indicates a significant sting jet and high velocity winds being dragged down to the surface. 

2CDBC324-1205-4CFC-946B-9369EB052739.jpeg

How reliable is the arome model when compared to others, coming from someone who lives under that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Does look very dicey for northern Home Counties south Midlands on the latest arome - maybe us southern Home Counties lot have been spared the worse …?? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Does look very dicey for northern Home Counties south Midlands on the latest arome - maybe us southern Home Counties lot have been spared the worse …?? 

I think for the south things are generally unchanged, guess the high resolution models possibly picking up on more granular details, the Arome would be devastating. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
8 hours ago, Nick F said:

Well, at least all this wind is creating plenty of green electricity: 44% wind; 20% Nuclear; 13% Gas: 13% Imports; the rest Biomass/Hydro

image.thumb.png.0c1d2e07840b25381e31ab14ea34a4d7.png

Windy tonight but come Friday it'll be even windier, though not sure how much more those wind turbines can produce.

That’s a very interesting to see.   I wonder what maximum wind speeds the turbines are designed to resist?  Must be over 100mph at least, I suppose?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I must admit, the forecasts on the tele don't project the severity of what could happen tomorrow!

They present the weather as 100+mph aren't anything to be particularly concerned about!

I bet if this was in the USA there would be dedicated news sections warning people about the potential loss of life and damage this could cause!

Feels a bit like they are sleep walking us into this!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, SteveB said:

I must admit, the forecasts on the tele don't project the severity of what could happen tomorrow!

They present the weather as 100+mph aren't anything to be particularly concerned about!

I bet if this was in the USA there would be dedicated news sections warning people about the potential loss of life and damage this could cause!

Feels a bit like they are sleep walking us into this!

Laura on GMB one of the few who is doing what we should expect. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Can sting jets be modelled then? Interesting (and worrying for anyone under that!)

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 1

Posted

There seems to be a general unawareness of the severity in the general public. Those under 40 are unlikely to remember a storm as severe, and us over 40 are likely to remember the old nasties of 90 and 87 et al. People I've been speaking to are generally comparing their recent memory of storms and are not aware that this is an a different league. I think there is an argument here for the met to raise the level to red for all of areas likely to gust 75+, because with the current level of awareness I'm seeing, people may well be carrying on their daily business in blind ignorance, which could massively increase the impact on the emergency services, and ultimately, people's lives. The media/met office need to start ramping this up like when we had to endure every single piece of 'news' related to COVID for 2 years! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, inc Snow and Wind
6 minutes ago, seb said:

Laura on GMB one of the few who is doing what we should expect. 

Indeed, apart from referencing 1986

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1