Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

There are a lot of accidents this evening 🤦‍♂️

M1 closed southbound

M11 closed southbound

M25 long delays over Queen Elizabeth ll Bridge

Essentially means I'm going to struggle to get south. I really want to get south as want to catch these storms before daylight tomorrow. So thinking the south coast is my best bet. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Looks like we are just starting to see signs of activity sparking off to the west of the Cherbourg peninsula, roughly inline with the latest UKv 

I'm just about to head down to the coast just in case 

Screenshot_20220825-000239.png

Screenshot_20220825-000216.png 

Possibly a touch further west than modeled, which could be a positive for areas towards the southeast 

Edited by Southern Storm
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder
3 hours ago, Thunders said:

If anyone is storm chasing, where are you positioning?

Can only chase on foot so we will be lurking in a shelter on bexhill seafront 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
23 minutes ago, Supacell said:

There are a lot of accidents this evening 🤦‍♂️

M1 closed southbound

M11 closed southbound

M25 long delays over Queen Elizabeth ll Bridge

Essentially means I'm going to struggle to get south. I really want to get south as want to catch these storms before daylight tomorrow. So thinking the south coast is my best bet. 

South coast would be your best bet I would say, could go anti clock round the m25 if you can and then you'll have the a3 down to Portsmouth,m23 down to Brighton,a22 down to Eastbourne or a21 down to Hastings but the latter 2 increases the miles a fair bit if you don't go over the bridge.

Posted

Just arrived at southbourne clifftop, I've seen two bolts out to sea, nothing showing on lightning maps though 

Just heard a rumble!

Edited by Southern Storm
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.

Thing's look like they are starting to get going around the channel Islands and a line of showers developing in the channel. Some promising looking clouds starting to drift in here now too. The alarm is still set for 2 just in case I nod off.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 minute ago, Southern Storm said:

Just arrived at southbourne clifftop, I've seen two bolts out to sea, nothing showing on lightning maps though 

Just heard a rumble!

Was wondering how much might be missed tonight because all the lightning detectors seem to be showing different things.

• Like 1

Posted

I think things will become clearer in a bit as Storms begin clumping together and we get an idea of what is happening and the direction its all moving in.

• Like 1

Posted

Seems to have stopped now, looks like what I was seeing came from the mass heading towards Bournemouth 

This appears to be decaying now, I am still seeing very faint flashes way out on the horizon, most likely from the Storms near Cherbourg 

Screenshot_20220825-003432.png

Edited by Southern Storm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Squall Lines
2 minutes ago, Electricmumma said:

Can only chase on foot so we will be lurking in a shelter on bexhill seafront 

Clearly love thunderstorms but stay safe. Going to be a long night but will be worth it! I have been based in Lowestoft since August 2017, and by god have we been starved of storms!! I joined net-weather in June 2004, and was an avid storm-chaser across the East of England (especially East Anglia). In 2008 I won net-weather July photo competition, captured a tornado in Cambourne Cambridgeshire in 2009 from a super-cell that erupted along the A505 Herts to where I parked up in south Cambridgeshire.............. my footage was the main headline on BBC Lookeast that day. I am in the International Meteorological Journal for which am really proud of. I am now only 43 years old and returning to my love in life (SEVERE WEATHER)! My gut instinct has never let me down, and the coming hours will deliver some terrific thunderstorms across Eastern England (especially Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, London and Kent). Good luck everyone.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Was wondering how much might be missed tonight because all the lightning detectors seem to be showing different things.

That's strange, I just got up because I can't sleep due a very noisy cricket outside (it's nice though, sounds like I'm on holiday) and heard a rumble. No planes up there, nothing on lightning maps either. I'm 56 miles north of you and the sound of thunder can carry further from Elevated Storms. No rain on radar either though.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

Uncertainty on track of the downpours/storms for the morning. Some models have it further west, some further east. SE still main area but will be a nowcast so all eyes on radars. Downpours likely to cause flash flooding with most lightning on the eastern flank of the system.👀

image.thumb.png.d2e44837e81a7cd4788a13a131fb0e7f.pngimage.thumb.png.bc8e050f2086f49e1fc77e4339dbed08.pngimage.thumb.png.e788c502ede43e06ed061ccd080298c3.pngimage.thumb.png.cc14010fe7364e5e024a9c02a3145d2f.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

AROME suggesting 30-50mm of rain falling through a large swathe of SE/Eastern areas by the afternoon.

image.thumb.png.15c20587d0d49f72200de89e8f763dec.png

• Like 2

Posted

I'm going to suggest something.

Come back at half 1 and look at the radar and lightning then, I think that's when things will begin to make sense, keep the window open just in case but save your battery if you can't charge anything and do something else till then. Once that happens then make a decision on what to do based off what the radar and lightning detectors say.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
30 minutes ago, Woodboss said:

South coast would be your best bet I would say, could go anti clock round the m25 if you can and then you'll have the a3 down to Portsmouth,m23 down to Brighton,a22 down to Eastbourne or a21 down to Hastings but the latter 2 increases the miles a fair bit if you don't go over the bridge.

Wisley Airfield is right by the A3 interchange (junction 10 I think). You have to park your car at the end of a small road and walk over a log but when you’re on the airfield itself it’s very open and away from major lights. The A3 noise is a bit of an issue - but it’s a lovey spot and I can imagine pretty good for a night like tonight.

Another option is Butser Hill but that’s very central along the coast so probably too far west…

I was thinking of Leith Hill looking to the south… or that car park near Epsom Racecourse - but it will be full of stoners and/or doggers, and the light pollution there isn’t great

• Like 1

Posted

If it’s going to be a very wet event tomo I’m a little concerned what this means for the local beaches come Friday, is more sewage going to be pumped into the sea? 😯

Posted

Not the clearest of cams but some lightning displays going on West of St.Malo.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
39 minutes ago, Woodboss said:

Thanks. Decided to just do the bridge and delays weren't as bad as my sat nav made out. In Kent now mulling over my next driving stint.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Squall Lines
19 minutes ago, Iceman2606 said:

AROME suggesting 30-50mm of rain falling through a large swathe of SE/Eastern areas by the afternoon.

image.thumb.png.15c20587d0d49f72200de89e8f763dec.png

Will be interesting to see if this has been programmed too far West. Our region really needs a good fall of rain, and hopefully we will all have that in the next 9 hours. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Thanks. Decided to just do the bridge and delays weren't as bad as my sat nav made out. In Kent now mulling over my next driving stint.

Ashdown Forest nr Nutley (search for Friends Clump)

• Like 2