Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Slug
5 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Some parts of Cornwall had thunderstorms on Monday 15th August.

I think the storms before this past week were way out west and then they finally got here but still nowt for me ☹️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Some really beefy showers around but unfortunately no thunder 😕 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 hour ago, mud_error said:

Thanks! this is pretty cool. This shows 5 CG strikes within a few hundred metres of me last night in the space of 3 mins around 9:56, thought that was a scarey and loud episode. Is it accurate, do we think? Also, 4 of them show as positive and only one negative - how can they tell? Also interested if the power they say they have can be measured - the worryingly close 13 KA "strong slammer" does sound kind of dramatic.

13KA is pretty usual for power here, its on the high end but not that extreme, usually a couple occur every Storm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
2 hours ago, Typhoon John said:

The line of storms had a bit of a C look to it when it passed over London.  Some pretty gusty winds which were never too extreme but were all blowing the direction of the front.

I did observe that the runway direction was switched at Stansted when the line passed over suggesting quite an abrupt change in wind direction.

It was a strange evening around 11 when I let dogs out for their last pee very eerie almost like a scene from twister I knew something was brewing ,lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

All being downgraded now I see. Looks like tomo is a slight to moderate, then Friday probably a slight if lucky, then just probably rain after that, until at least July

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Ok so not as amazing as the pic above, but this is currently developing by my house

cloudpicforum.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any description.

Thunderstorm here in Merrow (Guildford) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
2 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Safe to say yesterday wasn't too bad! 😜

Taken near Weymouth. Managed to get down there in time as the most active part of the squall was approaching! In the 2nd photo think I managed to catch a CG just left of middle, but was taking a panorama, so it didn't capture it really.

1624392388_Image(2).thumb.jpeg.b1b70897068ab5989fc77189b7481289.jpegImage.thumb.jpeg.ad8b89196e6149d7c268a3b8396875cd.jpeg

Incredible pics...i have to say that i have never actually seen this type of formation, particularly the circular form here (apart from in pics like yours) . Is it something that only happens occasionally, or you just have to be in big sky areas or just that there is always lower or other cloud hiding it...?

Edited by minus10
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
6 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

2 days worth of lightning strikes

archive_7_image.thumb.png.ba0b1ca0296bc9d77f62e3d353bff0a2.png

Another CG just beyond the trees

VideoCapture_20220906-073945.thumb.jpg.293579b9e1a3eba2b10ee41b0a5a0fb8.jpg

See that gap between Stoke and Liverpool? Guess who lives there 🤦🏻🤣

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

This is from 02.00 on Monday taken with my phone. There are aircraft for Stanstead/Luton avoiding the storms.

Jupiter is at top of frame

Last night I was out and noticed another car parked up watching lightning about 1am. 

There's some fantastic photos in this thread I haven't had any luck...

Edited by Sprites
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

See the gaps over East Anglia......👍

Edited by Sprites
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

yep. I live in Congleton....we did have a few distant strikes over the last two nights but still considering the amount that was around we done bloody well to avoid most of it.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Sprites said:

See the gaps over East Anglia......👍

see that gap over Bedford..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Get in, it’s kicking off over Shrewsbury, just what I wanted. Liverpool Airport now reporting cumulonimbus.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Haven't been around on here for much of this year due to being very busy and suffering from extreme fatigue which means I can no longer chase so instead have had to let/hope storms come to me 😢 . However, I must say this year has been the best year for storms in this past decade. Loads of action here which has been severely lacking in recent years. The last two nights have been spectacular and it looks like we're again in the firing line tonight so although I'm being greedy now I'm really hoping for another light show later! ⛈️ 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stormyking said:

Good Afternoon.
Last night was a truly spectacular night! Some of the best thunder and lightning I've ever seen! We first set out about 7:30pm first going over to Freshwater bay over at West Wight, First witnessed a beautiful shelf cloud which was huge, as well as this with some lovely lightning, a mix of intra cloud and powerful cg's! When we got to our location we ended up under a hut looking straight out to sea, as further storms was developing further east directly towards us. We was treated with some absolute belter CG'S very close with explosive thunder! It was kinda scary but well worth it. The rain arrived which was torrential which caused some local flooding which we had to walk through back to the car to drive back to Sandown bay.

As we drove back to Sandown further cells were developing to our South amongst the long line, by the time we got back the lightning became even more frequent with many powerful CG'S including posi strikes to which again some was extremely close with  more explosive thunder over and over making everywhere shake!

Also we had another storm move through earlier on this Afternoon producing some nice thunder and some extremely heavy rain!

Here are some images which am sharing from our IWMetservice forecasting page 🙂 

image.thumb.png.e9c438dc98d6d734d99b4e1ec33d1c2e.pngimage.thumb.png.9648e89ca98379dbca87f57a7b2684ee.pngimage.thumb.png.48f4fc986e123de0281b0159131f152d.pngimage.thumb.png.567b754268dfe6c6f077367a4ae45dcd.png

Fab pictures

Edited by biddie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
3 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Safe to say yesterday wasn't too bad! 😜

Taken near Weymouth. Managed to get down there in time as the most active part of the squall was approaching! In the 2nd photo think I managed to catch a CG just left of middle, but was taking a panorama, so it didn't capture it really.

1624392388_Image(2).thumb.jpeg.b1b70897068ab5989fc77189b7481289.jpegImage.thumb.jpeg.ad8b89196e6149d7c268a3b8396875cd.jpeg

Incredible. 🥰

Could easily be mistaken for a supercell to the uninitiated with that curling above the cloud.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
1 hour ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

All being downgraded now I see. Looks like tomo is a slight to moderate, then Friday probably a slight if lucky, then just probably rain after that, until at least July

Nope cells exploded over south England and bbc said more tonight and to the end of the week July?

Edited by biddie

Posted
12 minutes ago, Dami said:

see that gap over Bedford..

There's a white blob middle of east Anglia I was lucky with area last couple of days 

Posted
Just now, Sprites said:

There's a white blob middle of east Anglia I was lucky with area last couple of days 

Everything is going round me or breaking up. tis the norm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
10 minutes ago, Stormyking said:

Good Afternoon.
Last night was a truly spectacular night! Some of the best thunder and lightning I've ever seen! We first set out about 7:30pm first going over to Freshwater bay over at West Wight, First witnessed a beautiful shelf cloud which was huge, as well as this with some lovely lightning, a mix of intra cloud and powerful cg's! When we got to our location we ended up under a hut looking straight out to sea, as further storms was developing further east directly towards us. We was treated with some absolute belter CG'S very close with explosive thunder! It was kinda scary but well worth it. The rain arrived which was torrential which caused some local flooding which we had to walk through back to the car to drive back to Sandown bay.

As we drove back to Sandown further cells were developing to our South amongst the long line, by the time we got back the lightning became even more frequent with many powerful CG'S including posi strikes to which again some was extremely close with  more explosive thunder over and over making everywhere shake!

Also we had another storm move through earlier on this Afternoon producing some nice thunder and some extremely heavy rain!

Here are some images which am sharing from our IWMetservice forecasting page 🙂 

image.thumb.png.e9c438dc98d6d734d99b4e1ec33d1c2e.pngimage.thumb.png.9648e89ca98379dbca87f57a7b2684ee.pngimage.thumb.png.48f4fc986e123de0281b0159131f152d.pngimage.thumb.png.567b754268dfe6c6f077367a4ae45dcd.png

Your pics are just surreal...the third one in.particular..gosh the pics just get better and better...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2