Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2018 Beast From the East

danm

Posted
1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

All this widespread snow and there was barely a flake in Manchester

It was pretty snow free here in coastal Ayrshire. ..plenty of snow to the north south and east of here. Over a foot of level snow in Lanarkshire and most of Glasgow with drifts of several feet !

Posted
1 hour ago, jellybaby1969 said:

It was pretty snow free here in coastal Ayrshire. ..plenty of snow to the north south and east of here. Over a foot of level snow in Lanarkshire and most of Glasgow with drifts of several feet !

Maybe they should 'Twin' Manchester with Irvine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Pics 1,2,4 and 6 from and around my daughters flat in Central Glasgow.

3 is my cat fascinated by the snow falling in Dundee.

5 shows a drift at sea level beside the Tay estuary around a mile from my house.  The main streamers just missed when the Central belt got the red warning but we still had 6to 8 inches level with drifting.

7 shows how drifting snow from the fields encroaches across the road inland in Perthshire. Just a shame storm Emma came North and scuppered the Easterly just afterwards.

Could contain: Car, Vehicle, Bird, Animal, Outdoors, Nature, Blackbird, Windowsill, Window, Snow

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Winter, Snow, Car, Vehicle, Transportation

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Car, Vehicle, Winter, Cat, Window, Blizzard, Snow, Weather

Could contain: Person, Man, Adult, Male, Standing, Handbag, Bag, Coat, Face, Car

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Snow

Could contain: City, Outdoors, Nature, Urban, Winter, Snow, Street, Road

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Winter, Snow, Blizzard, Storm, Piste, Sport

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

Pics 1,2,4 and 6 from and around my daughters flat in Central Glasgow.

3 is my cat fascinated by the snow falling in Dundee.

5 shows a drift at sea level beside the Tay estuary around a mile from my house.  The main streamers just missed when the Central belt got the red warning but we still had 6to 8 inches level with drifting.

7 shows how drifting snow from the fields encroaches across the road inland in Perthshire. Just a shame storm Emma came North and scuppered the Easterly just afterwards.

Central Glasgow did pretty well then!!  I imagine Glasgow is normally one of less snowier parts of Scotland?

Posted

2nd March 2018 in Ash Surrey after Storm Emma.  Not a great deal of snow compared to some and thawed very rapidly the next day!

Could contain: Shelter, Outdoors, Car, Vehicle, Person, Nature, Weather, Road, Bird, Snow

Could contain: Bench, Furniture, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Outdoors, Nature, Person, Weather

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Car, Vehicle, Tree, Winter, Weather, Desk, Snow, Scenery

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Car, Vehicle, Winter, Neighborhood, Wheel, Blizzard, Snow, Weather

Could contain: Weather, Outdoors, Nature, Fir, Tree, Scenery, Vegetation, Ice, Road, Snow

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
19 minutes ago, Don said:

Central Glasgow did pretty well then!!  I imagine Glasgow is normally one of less snowier parts of Scotland?

That part of the country has actually done reasonably well in more recent years but historically according to snow lying statistics it was the least snowy city in Scotland.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
On 21/11/2022 at 13:22, MP-R said:

It surprises a lot of people nowadays to know that the SW is potentially the best place to get the heaviest snowfall totals... just not the most frequent. Annoying to think that even my location is sometimes a tad far north to get the heaviest dumpings like in Feb 2019 (which was still brilliant) and Feb 2009.

Beautiful pictures by the way! Often wondered how lovely the old centre of Exeter would look in snow.

You're  not wrong. MP-R.  A few years back I had the privilege of working alongside Dr Richard Wild at WeatherNet. Dr Wild is one of,if not the foremost expert on historical uk snowfall and his PhD thesis listed the top 40 uk snowfalls since 1861 by undrifted depth.  The top three snowfalls in that top 40 all occured in the southwest of England.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 1