Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When will the next warm, dry sunny month be?

POLL: When will the next sunny, dry, warm-by-day month be?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. When will the next sunny, dry, warm-by-day month be?

• June 2023
    • July 2023
    • September 2023
    • March 2024

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
3 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

... but in answer to the original question, it appears the correct answer was actually May.

I think the extremely sunny second half of the month caught many of us out by surprise!

From May 13th until yesterday - almost four weeks - we only had one predominantly cloudy day here: the 19th. Due to being split across two months no records will be broken by this spell, but this must surely have been one of the sunniest four-week periods on record in this part of the country.

Taking the last 31 full days (9th May - 8th June) we have had 308.7 hours of sunshine (out of a possible ~400) and I wouldn't be surprised if that was within the very top sunniest 31-day periods on record in Plymouth. 3rd May to 2nd June 2020 only had 298.6 hours so we've actually beaten that here!! Also if the sunshine continues after this cloudy weekend then I wouldn't be surprised if we manage to get even higher. What a great spell of weather it's been!

• Like 1

Hi, I think it's fairly obvious that JULY 2023 will contain another 40+ HEATWAVE!
In fact, I'm now settled on this being the normality going forwards into every new year.
Summer used to be a season I was starting to enjoy but then after 2022's worst heatwave ever...
I literally can't stand summer any longer... with every year of this- I'm starting to hate summer even more.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 15/06/2023 at 15:25, SakuraOwl said:

Hi, I think it's fairly obvious that JULY 2023 will contain another 40+ HEATWAVE!
In fact, I'm now settled on this being the normality going forwards into every new year.
Summer used to be a season I was starting to enjoy but then after 2022's worst heatwave ever...
I literally can't stand summer any longer... with every year of this- I'm starting to hate summer even more.

While I am no expert, I very much doubt it on chance alone. Looks like a change in weather type is now beginning with more Atlantic influence - it's too early to call the rest of the summer but I suspect July will be more changeable than we've been used to of late; while further heatwaves may happen, 40C is some 17-18C above average and will require exceptional synoptics to deliver, I suspect.

And most summers recently have been dull, damp and mostly cool by day with just short-lived heat spikes, at least down here. 2018 and 2022 have very much been the exception.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 14/06/2023 at 22:50, damianslaw said:

31 days since 14 May when the fine weather set in here so I would say we've just had one!

Indeed. Shame (for the stats) it hasn't coincided with a calendar month though.

Edited by Summer8906